Welp, fell in love with my straight friend. *facepalm*

Shwoopsie

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I feel so fucking cliche. And I'm old enough and educated enough to know where it comes from - a desire for a companion that has these traits - and yet I'm still susceptible to the oldest gay stereotype in the book. Goddammit. Hate this arc for me.

I'm trying to do my best to reframe it and use this as a reference for the guy that I guess I'll eventually meet that IS all of these things AND gay but for now it just hurts. I work with him, we talk almost every day, and it's gotten to the point where he even called me last night when he's just going through shit and needed someone to talk him down from the ledge. I'm glad I'm this friend but I hate that I'm this friend: the surrogate girlfriend.

Now I'm just really hoping he meets another girl soon so he can do what they all do and ditch us to pour all of that into their true partners. And I mean I'll feel bad about that too but damn at least it'd be over then right? Anyway, not looking for pity or criticism 'cause I'm doing that enough to myself, but I just had a moment where I just needed to vent this out amongst a group of other gays. Big hugs to anyone who reads it.

Chrispausa

Sexy Member
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
All individuals involved in this story are 18+

This reply was taken down because I did mention time periods in my life I was not supposed to. However, I carefully went through the facts and made sure those dates and places were taken out without compromising the true account of the events.

It hurts reading each of these stories. I used to have a friend with whom I’d share the deepest intimate moments. We have been friends for two decades now.
We were always together, and the bond of our friendship never ceased to get stronger. We would always do everything together. It killed me so slowly and painfully seeing him everyday and everyday being part of that straight type of life where I had to see and pretend I was okay with him being with someone else. I had the upmost love and sexual desire for him. I sure did. I couldn’t scape that part. But I wanted him beyond that. And I was willing to sacrifice anything just to be close to him, just to continue to be the one who’d he would say he wished I was a girl because I was the only one who’d strangely completed him. I wouldn’t dare do anything that would jeopardize my chances to be close to him. I died and lived, I ached and it felt good, I wanted him for me alone, but wanted him to find someone. That consumed me for long and never ending years. One day then, I had enough and decided breaking that chain. I enlisted in the navy and was sent to the other side of the country. A month in and I almost died. I was coming back from one of my duties of the day and I see he walking in with the new recruits. I ran and I hid. I cried and I hated that feeling of hating him for being there. We never had the chance to be close to each other for a year in that camp. It was a very strict routine and we rarely saw each other because we were in different platoons. However, he’d never miss the chance to go find me wherever I was. I, in the other hand, was trying to do all I could to avoid being caught too close to him and find myself living that painfully sweet relation we had before. We never ceased being so close, don’t get me wrong. I just didn’t want to be so involved in his life observing something I knew was mine (that is just how I felt) being taken by someone else. Plus I was hoping to be completely free of that captivity once I’d have found someone else. Well I failed to find someone and never broke free from him.

He told me so many times he’d change anything if I said just a word. I never understood. That same year, he got involved with so many different girls. And when I found out, each time I’d run to some new friend I’d make sure I’d find and try new things with. I went once to a gay bar that was filled with navy guys. Straight guys, gay guys, feminine gays, masculine ones, the cross dressers who’d wear wigs and make up pretending no one knew who they were. All kinds of guys from the navy. One of them, supposedly straight, told my friend he had seen me. The next time he saw me he was so disappointed and so frustrated. I really thought it was the end of everything. I was outed and he hated me for finding out who I was. However I had done nothing at that point with a guy. I was pure and virgin in all ways possible with a guy. I was saving it all for him. However at that time I was hoping to be free and let it all be someone else’s, but not his. Anyway, he was not upset knowing or thinking I was gay. He began to to voice his fury because I didn’t go with him. And because I believe he thought I kissed or slept with someone. I really didn’t do anything. I went to that bar disguised as pure straight with another gay sailor in disguise ( a friend that only came out to me years later, but he was a girlie boy. Everyone knew). Anyway. He was angry. After that we were distant. I tried every now and then get closer but our schedules didn’t match while we were there. When we came back to our state, we were serving in the naval base and saw each other more than at the camp. We went on to live together and I thought we were going to be back were we were before. I was hopeful. But he had a girlfriend now. I found out years later he only had her because I told him, thinking that was what he wanted, that he should be true and treat her with respect and if he liked her he should invest in it and be with her. That was when he told me only one word I said would be able to change everything. That is what he meant. He would either be engaged to her or drop her completely when would go back home. Anyway we were living together, he was engaged and every other week he’d bring her there. At that point I was trying not to let it hurt me. And that is when I started getting close to another guy. I wrote about him in another thread here. I would spend more time with that guy than him, but specially because I was young and virgin and I wanted to love but also be loved completely with all the rights a potential spouse would have. When he noticed I was distant, he didn’t notice I was close to anyone that way, but he was mad I was spending time with someone else other than him.
It was hurting knowing he was feeling that way and it did hurt even more when he decided living with his fiancé. We were still neighbors. He wouldn’t live away from me. We were known by anyone as brothers. That is what anyone who knew us would think. And we still are. To this day, nothing ever changed. All that distance was more physical and about how much we were participating in each others decisions in life. But no matter how distant or mad or disappointed we were at each other, we would always make sure we were there to keep each other safe in every possible way.
That distance grew longer when he saw my then bf and I sleeping together. Yes, he’d enter my house with his own keys whenever. He saw us sleeping together with hands grabbing things and he only told me later that day what he saw and he looked so angry, but he told me he’d still be my brother. But he couldn’t believe I never told him. After that he moved away from me. I couldn’t understand why he would say he accepted me but he would be so angry to the point of not being able to stay close anymore.

Fast forward. Years later, he got drunk and was right before he got married. He was barging everywhere and by then I had made peace with my own heart we were just brothers. I had to transform that much love into a fraternal love. But I was taking care of him while we were riding back home. And he had his head on my lap in the car. I was caressing his hair feeling so bad he was feeling that way. I had no sexual desire on him at that moment. I just deeply loved him and he was my brother. My own family. The closest everything I had. I took him to my house, gave him a bath, he was completely naked and that was the first time I saw him naked, and the only. I didn’t feel anything. I just wanted to make sure he was okay and he would go to bed feeling good. I cleaned him up, dried him up, dressed him up and put him in bed. Checked him every now and then. Later he got up better and called me for a walk. He took me to a deserted place in a park under a gazebo because it was raining. He was stern and serious. He couldn’t look me in the eye. But he asked me to answer with all honesty. And it didn’t matter what I said he’d never be angry at me because he saw that day how much I truly cared and loved him and he felt completely safe with me. He asked me if I had ever wanted to be with him romantically or any other way that was not like a brother or a friend. Before I answered he said he did. I literally lost my balance and fell because of the shock. He helped me up and asked again this time looking at me. I told him how much I loved him from the very beginning but how much it did hurt me. How much killed me seeing him with someone else and being forced to be there because that is what best friends and close brothers are for. It didn’t matter how far I’d run away from him, our mutual love and intimacy would bring us together and each time it did, because we had progressed in so many ways in our own and personal lives, I would hurt more and more because he would be deeper and deeper in a life with someone else that would never be me. So I told him I had to turn that love into some other kind of love and I made him my own brother and I forced my self to see him that way. So at least it would not hurt when we were together and I saw that. I came to learn that he also had done the same thing for the same exact reason. However, at that time we were both deep in other relationships and for both of us ir had been so long to have reached that point where we were finally able to be okay with each others lives being the way they were that was not worth it turning that back to what it was so that would not work and we’d be hurting even more and maybe loose all that closeness we had. We both agreed with it. Inside of me I hated myself for having gone through so much pain to have found out he also wanted me. I still blame him because I was always hinting and willing to try. But he had to be a mirror of what a man has to be for his blood siblings. So he couldn’t risk that image and treated me the way he did, also got into the relationship he was the way he did. He was actually asking me to stop him from saying yes to her and be with me if I only said a word. I had no idea. How could I. We were both stupid and afraid of losing each other and even when everything was so blindly clear about what we felt for each other we’d still find an extra layer of fear and come up with a reason to excuse the obvious.

The end of the story is that we were both married. We both have kids and we live in different continents now. We may not speak to each other for months and almost years at the time, but every time we do we remind each other and can genuinely feel from each other how important and still deeply loved each other is. It also hurts to this day knowing that he may forever be the only person I have ever truly deeply loved and also the only one I would never have been with and will never be. I know the same is true for him.
We don’t ever dare speaking of these feelings. We live like they are buried and dead, but the truth is they are still burning and alive.
I miss him so very much and I wish we’d would at least have a chance to at least be closer spatially. We may never be able to. We may just keep this distance and longer the time between calls so this feeling aches less. I also feel so good and so happy, maybe complete and in peace when he talks to me and he surely feels the same because he has said in it in different ways.

I feel your pain guys. It is never the same story, but the platonic relationship between two men is the worst and best feeling one can be blessed and cursed at the same time with.

He will always be my first and true love, but will also be nothing more than my only best and closest friend.

Anyways. There’s not an easy answer to how to solve or what to do. Each person is different and having in mind were taking about a pair, it makes it even more difficult to predict what outcome each set of relationships will have after one has let out all the true feelings. The common thing is that deepest and most meaningful relationship you will ever have is this. Even when you get married and also love your spouse more than you love anything else.
I wish each of you, going through a different version of the same thing, the best of luck, and that you may at least find a way to fill that void with someone else who also desire and loves you deeply. May none of you ever feel alone. My love and sympathy goes to each of you.

I understand the sweet and beautiful pain it causes. A sweet person in this thread made me see I was not alone. And I want to let you all know, you’re not alone either. All these feelings are valid and I wish none of you may hold hard feelings and self judgment over yourselves.

My lesson taken from my own story is that it is possible, but sometimes the so close relationship between two men is caused exactly by the inability one has to tell the other about his own feelings. And maybe because one of the worlds is built up on pressure. Pressure that makes “men act like men”, even tho deep inside they don’t even know what they are or want to be. The only certainty they have is which who they want to be. And that forbidden who is you.

Anyway, again, my deepest love and admiration goes to each of you. Allow yourself to break free and to be fully loved!

Cum_is_Great

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I feel so fucking cliche. And I'm old enough and educated enough to know where it comes from - a desire for a companion that has these traits - and yet I'm still susceptible to the oldest gay stereotype in the book. Goddammit. Hate this arc for me.

I'm trying to do my best to reframe it and use this as a reference for the guy that I guess I'll eventually meet that IS all of these things AND gay but for now it just hurts. I work with him, we talk almost every day, and it's gotten to the point where he even called me last night when he's just going through shit and needed someone to talk him down from the ledge. I'm glad I'm this friend but I hate that I'm this friend: the surrogate girlfriend.

Now I'm just really hoping he meets another girl soon so he can do what they all do and ditch us to pour all of that into their true partners. And I mean I'll feel bad about that too but damn at least it'd be over then right? Anyway, not looking for pity or criticism 'cause I'm doing that enough to myself, but I just had a moment where I just needed to vent this out amongst a group of other gays. Big hugs to anyone who reads it.
Unwilling to admit I am going through the same. I fear I have ruined the friendship because I can no longer repress the feelings easily in my mind. I haven't acted on it, but every time we meet or talk, I long to stay and just... be.

Maybe it's just a true best friendship because I don't really have any sexual desire for him. But we have had so many intimate conversations (THERE'S A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN INTIMATE AND SEXUAL) breaking down walls and barriers and being vulnerable with each other. We love each other very much, and I was there for him when he went through some really difficult times. We've known each other for over 25 years now.

But during the pandemic, we ended up talking a lot more and I was there for him while he went through a horrible break up. He said one day to not die before him because he doesn't know what he would do without me. And never in my life have I felt such a strong loving feeling hearing that. It was and still is the deepest most loving moment I can think of. Literally since then, something broke and these feelings flood my mind whenever we speak. I hate it and love it.

I love that feeling of closeness and caring. I feel similarly towards him. But I hate feeling like I am in love with him. He is totally straight and I absolutely respect that. I don't WANT to pursue a romantic relationship with him out of respect. But god... I envision us just living together and literally never changing anything about how we are. Just being silly and goofy and caring and thoughtful. It's probably as close to a romantic relationship without the romance. The deepest platonic friendship. And seeing as I have never had a relationship in my life, I wonder if I am accidentally crossing the wires.

We literally tell each other everything. We speak about so many things and have deep conversations. But I can't talk to him about this. Even if he is most likely to be understanding and know I am not trying to become romantic with him and most likely will understand and nothing would change other than being able to unbottle these feelings that keep building... the chance, no matter how small, that there is a misunderstanding and I lose him as a friend is **SO FUCKING SCARY**.

Shwoopsie

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
YEAH! THAT'S IT! THAT'S IT EXACTLY! YOU NAILED IT!

It's one thing to have the quintessential unrequited love. We all know that's the trope. But so is, "we were always BEST friends until one day he realized..."

It makes me think "have I just never been loved before?" I've had situationships and that's about it, and at no point was it as easy as it is with my straight friend. Is it because sex is removed from the equation ALL we can do is be intimate with each other? Because you're right the difference is there. I've had lots of sex with men but can count on one hand how many of them I've been intimate with at the same time.

I'm here for you brutha. It sucks to be healthy and wise and see this for what it is. It just sparks so much anxiety. And then you think you're just going crazy because you have to deal with it all in isolation. Because if you say it out loud immediately you just get pitied and told it'll pass. But it won't? And I don't want it to? But it ultimately isn't what I need and yet it is everything I need. So many contradictions.

Shwoopsie

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Unwilling to admit I am going through the same. I fear I have ruined the friendship because I can no longer repress the feelings easily in my mind. I haven't acted on it, but every time we meet or talk, I long to stay and just... be.

Maybe it's just a true best friendship because I don't really have any sexual desire for him. But we have had so many intimate conversations (THERE'S A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN INTIMATE AND SEXUAL) breaking down walls and barriers and being vulnerable with each other. We love each other very much, and I was there for him when he went through some really difficult times. We've known each other for over 25 years now.

But during the pandemic, we ended up talking a lot more and I was there for him while he went through a horrible break up. He said one day to not die before him because he doesn't know what he would do without me. And never in my life have I felt such a strong loving feeling hearing that. It was and still is the deepest most loving moment I can think of. Literally since then, something broke and these feelings flood my mind whenever we speak. I hate it and love it.

I love that feeling of closeness and caring. I feel similarly towards him. But I hate feeling like I am in love with him. He is totally straight and I absolutely respect that. I don't WANT to pursue a romantic relationship with him out of respect. But god... I envision us just living together and literally never changing anything about how we are. Just being silly and goofy and caring and thoughtful. It's probably as close to a romantic relationship without the romance. The deepest platonic friendship. And seeing as I have never had a relationship in my life, I wonder if I am accidentally crossing the wires.

We literally tell each other everything. We speak about so many things and have deep conversations. But I can't talk to him about this. Even if he is most likely to be understanding and know I am not trying to become romantic with him and most likely will understand and nothing would change other than being able to unbottle these feelings that keep building... the chance, no matter how small, that there is a misunderstanding and I lose him as a friend is **SO FUCKING SCARY**.
Update: today he told me "Of the five best people I know, you are two of them." Like...stop. Is it sad that in the back of my head I think "how long is he gonna play this con? How long will I let him?"

ManchesterTom

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay

The answer is to keep the friendship totally non sexual, and this friendship will probably go on forever.

Sex you can find in lots of places. What you have comes along once if you're lucky.

Growing123

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I also understand why I am always in situations of unrequited love but it doesn't stop the aching hurt. I am presently longing for another person who I'm intimate with on a weekly basis. He's straight and married. It kills me to sit in front of him and pour my heart out each week disclosing all my stuff. Then after a specified time period has elapsed he says that our time is up until next week. I feel like such a fool. I feel your pain. Intimacy begets longing.

Cum_is_Great

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The answer is to keep the friendship totally non sexual, and this friendship will probably go on forever.

Sex you can find in lots of places. What you have comes along once if you're lucky.
I don't want sex. Like really I don't. But I do want to express myself. I don't know. These feelings of seemingly romance are confusing me. Maybe this is just how the ultimate platonic friendship feels like but because I am gay, I am mixing feelings? I think most people can't fathom deep loving feelings for non-family and not wanting to have sex. Not accusing you personally of that or anything though.

pan-major

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Guys, reading your stories is absolutely heartbreaking.

Come to think of it - since you share this level of intimacy with these men - I would also expect they easily have the ability to understand what you feel, what you want and what you don't want. Or at least accept an explanation and continue the relationship.
Not expressing your emotions is going to keep bringing you down.

I can't say "been there, done that". I have fallen in love with several men in my +/-40 year life, but the level of *mutual* intimacy was never as deep as the one you wrote about.

ManchesterTom

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I don't want sex. Like really I don't. But I do want to express myself. I don't know. These feelings of seemingly romance are confusing me. Maybe this is just how the ultimate platonic friendship feels like but because I am gay, I am mixing feelings? I think most people can't fathom deep loving feelings for non-family and not wanting to have sex. Not accusing you personally of that or anything though.
I speak from personal experience. Someone special came into my life before I was old enough to vote, we have been the deepest of friends for close on 40 years. Nothing has come between our friendship. We live in different countries and have life partners and children. If anything physical had happened between us I know it would have degraded our relationship.

Cum_is_Great

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I speak from personal experience. Someone special came into my life before I was old enough to vote, we have been the deepest of friends for close on 40 years. Nothing has come between our friendship. We live in different countries and have life partners and children. If anything physical had happened between us I know it would have degraded our relationship.
Thanks, I feel the same would happen with me and my friend. But yeah, I don't really want to do anything physical. I just want to express how much I love him and how much he means to me. The more I bottle it up the more it feels like it could warp into something bad. The more anxiety I feel in my heart and the more likely he will tell something is up.

I'm mostly just throwing thoughts out. I'm really not trying to have sex with him. I recognize when I feel sexual atteaction to a guy and want to suck his dick or something vs just really enjoying their company platonically. I feel no sexual attraction to him.

Hmm... I suppose you are saying this in case if he somehow asks me to do something sexual?

Shwoopsie

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
That part. It's only gotten worse. I can't break off with him or distance myself because he's gonna be my fucking business partner (which he proposed months ago and continues to push for) so like now it's been even MORE time being around him. I can separate feelings alright I think from who I want to fuck vs. who I want to hold. And I want to hold him?

Like he's going through school right now in a field that's not his forte and every day we're basically sending video clips to each other saying how much we love each other. BUT ALSO I just learned his favorite boy band is Take That (he's in the UK, I'm in the US) and I don't know...false hope but fucking Take That? HA!

Anyway, he confided in me about how he hates that his body is changing (we're both over 30 now) and he misses "The V" around the hips. He felt so self-conscious and I just had to make him feel better about his body and he even cried because he just needed to hear that he could still be beautiful. I really need him to get a fucking girlfriend, honestly. We all know it stops when that happens. That hurt I am ready and waiting for because the constant heartache is killing me.

bravesoldier

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This happened to a guy I met about a year ago. I went on a random hookup with a guy not far from home whom I'd never laid eyes on. Turned out he was my fantasy physical ideal (body, dick and face) and I pretty much fell head over heels when I first saw him that night. I sucked and fucked him pretty good on the first date and got asked back to his oh-so unique country get away nine days later. The second time he said he just wanted someone to hang and talk with. There was no sex on the second meet even though I made sure he knew I'd give him anything he wanted. That night I thought he was seeing if I'd pass his test, in which I gladly did or did not do anything unless he wanted to. A short while later he told me he'd taken in a gorgeous, homeless STRAIGHT guy who he'd seriously fallen head over heels in love with.

Man was I CRUSHED. I was so into this guy it was freakin' unreal. One of the last times I talked with him I could tell he'd sold his heart to the straight guy. He even admitted he'd fucked up but was too far gone in love.

He and I are still friends from a distance. He's a good man but I hope he doesn't get his heart ripped out. He 100% allowed himself to fall in love with a straight guy. He even let the guy's girl come over and he listened to them fuck in the next room.

It still gets me even now when I dwell on it, that's how hot I was for the guy.

Shwoopsie

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This happened to a guy I met about a year ago. I went on a random hookup with a guy not far from home whom I'd never laid eyes on. Turned out he was my fantasy physical ideal (body, dick and face) and I pretty much fell head over heels when I first saw him that night. I sucked and fucked him pretty good on the first date and got asked back to his oh-so unique country get away nine days later. The second time he said he just wanted someone to hang and talk with. There was no sex on the second meet even though I made sure he knew I'd give him anything he wanted. That night I thought he was seeing if I'd pass his test, in which I gladly did or did not do anything unless he wanted to. A short while later he told me he'd taken in a gorgeous, homeless STRAIGHT guy who he'd seriously fallen head over heels in love with.

Man was I CRUSHED. I was so into this guy it was freakin' unreal. One of the last times I talked with him I could tell he'd sold his heart to the straight guy. He even admitted he'd fucked up but was too far gone in love.

He and I are still friends from a distance. He's a good man but I hope he doesn't get his heart ripped out. He 100% allowed himself to fall in love with a straight guy. He even let the guy's girl come over and he listened to them fuck in the next room.

I am so glad you shared this. Because it validated a thought about how...yeah the straight guys doing this ARE emotionally manipulative to a certain degree. They have to be. It's too uncanny the language and the similarities between all of us ya know?

It may not be money they're after but we're definitely being USED for something and it hits at this vulnerable part we can't defend. A literal Achilles Heel. Because you're so right, being obsessed with the idea of this detracts from the guys who are actually gay and worth our time.

I also see the opposite point of view of your friend in this scenario. Gay guys almost never start out with romance first. Never the heart first. We don't know how to date until we fuck and that's the order: fuck then date. I specifically am just left feeling used on both sides.

I hate how hard it is to navigate all this. Ain't the world hard enough?

pan-major

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
There was another long and very emotional story posted here but I guess the author decided to delete the post... I read through it and I guess it could be summarised that if the author expressed his emotions in the right (hinted) moment, he would have been together with his closest friend.

What I can add from my experience... I also never wanted sex with the men I was in love with. A bear hug would have been sooo right and absolutely enough...

Reactions: Shwoopsie

dirk8989

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

He's getting played by the straight guy. Everyone knows it but him

bravesoldier

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
He's getting played by the straight guy. Everyone knows it but him
Another local guy who knows the straight guy told me the same thing, and it may very well be true. What I do know is the straight guy has no one else to turn to right now, has been in trouble with the law, has no job, food and literally would be living on the streets otherwise. I feel I can see it coming, my buddy is going to have his heart ripped out of his chest and it's gonna be bad.