Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Anyone experiencing issues with the wrists from pushups? If so, anything you've done/changed to help?

I do a variety of calisthenics everyday at lunch and at first had some stiffness in the wrist from pushups but it eventually went away as they got stronger.

The program I follow had me do Hindu pushups a few days ago and whilst doing it there was some discomfort and ALOT OF CLICKING (and I'm only 29, if you'd believe it). Since then however, my left wrong has been really bothersome, especially after today's session.

Should I maybe just skip Hindu pushups? Are the worth it?

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
When I do push-ups, I avoid the standard palm-down stance, as it involves bending the wrist back. It's quite an unnatural angle, which only becomes more unnatural with weight and pressure applied. I usually perform push-ups on my knuckles (with a closed fist), which keeps my wrist straight (in line with my forearm). I strongly suggest that you consider doing the same in the future, for at least a portion of your push-ups. It will take some of the strain away from your wrists.

I've never experienced clicking, or any serious discomfort in my wrists. I recommend resting them for at least a week, avoiding all further strain on your wrists. After that, if the problems persist - I would consider visiting a doctor.

nailz

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I've never been able to do them the "normal" way because they hurt my wrists :(
If I do them on dumbbells or those pushup stand thingies then it's fine, I think because it's a more natural range of movement for your wrists. I think the typical way with hands flat on the floor puts too much strain on your wrists. But I don't do too much upper body work so maybe my wrists are just weak :blush:

If you use dumbbells make sure they're the flatter hex kind, the rubber ones she's using in this pic look like they could roll out :(

treeni-pienetshutterstock_322573178.jpg

RowanB

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Would knuckle pushups or using dumbbells not engage different muscle groups?

I tried a both ways during the last set and it definitely felt like different muscles were being targeted.

Then again, with everything being sore and stiff at the moment, I suppose it could just be my imagination ...

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Would knuckle pushups or using dumbbells not engage different muscle groups?

I tried a both ways during the last set and it definitely felt like different muscles were being targeted.

Then again, with everything being sore and stiff at the moment, I suppose it could just be my imagination ...
In my opinion, the difference between regular push-ups and knuckle push-ups is subtle. The main difference I've noticed, is that you can go deeper with knuckle push-ups - meaning you get more of a stretch on your chest muscles.

Likewise, dumbbell push-ups are similar (assuming you perform them from a stationary position) but also allow you to go deeper. You can roll the dumbbells around, for a different range of movement, but it's obviously a more advanced exercise at that point.

Reactions: RowanB

RowanB

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
In my opinion, the difference between regular push-ups and knuckle push-ups is subtle. The main difference I've noticed, is that you can go deeper with knuckle push-ups - meaning you get more of a stretch on your chest muscles.

Likewise, dumbbell push-ups are similar (assuming you perform them from a stationary position) but also allow you to go deeper. You can roll the dumbbells around, for a different range of movement, but it's obviously a more advanced exercise at that point.

Thanks man, appreciate the advice.

Going to give that a try over the next few days & see how it goes.

Banana_Hung

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
San Francisco (California, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Yea, my wrists definitely hurt sometime when doing push ups and I typically just switch to knuckles or preferably, with dumbbells. I actually prefer the latter because it allows me to go a little deeper into the push up. Feels good.

Reactions: Gj816

The knuckle push up using your fists. You can also strengthen the wrist by changing the fist-thumbs positions easily

The knuckle push up also help with strengthening your fist and giving your knuckles better definition if you're into any type of full contact stuff.

If you have had a history of wrist stiffness or injury go with a cheap adjustable wrist ace-like bandage.

The best answers are given already. When I do push-ups I also use dumbells. But if they're not availble the knuckles yeah. And if that hurts you can put some towels underneath. Or somehting else soft.
And no, you don't target the muscles differently, that's in your mind. :)