Personal ethical morality vs. great work

GS_PL

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I used to see a business woman who worked in a specific field, and would repeat doing business until COVID hit because I was happy with her work. During that time frame when her business was shut down, I was appalled at the types of opinions this person was sharing on social media, and was so disgusted that I helped her make a living, I couldn't believe how hateful she is.

I foolishly had had enough of being angered by her viewpoints, so I publicly called her out on something I should've kept to myself. I was privately told in a message by her that my business was not wanted any longer when her business re-opened, and then blocked to prevent me from making any further comments (or me seeing what futuristic vicious comments she was making).

It's irrelevant due to being told I'm not wanted as a customer by her, but I'll always wonder what I would do if I kept my anger at her to myself, since nobody does as good a work as she did who I've seen since. I can't also stand the thought of helping someone make a living who is so hurtful towards others, but am flustered that the work she did was so good, it could've put me in a moral dilemma.

TinyPrincess

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As an employer (or I guess even a co-worker) you really shouldn't follow your employees (colleagues) on-line, Only place I ever connected with employees was on linkedin - they might be good at their job but I would never put myself in a moral dilemma where say their political views could influence my perception of their everyday work.

Reactions: ronin001

aheidla

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
As long as someone does their job effectively and well, I couldn't care less. It's not illegal to be an asshole, and it's not like I have to live with or bed the person. I mind my business.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I accepted a long time ago that people who are sustained by money I contribute to their service often are actual shit.

A lot of people who've had to contribute to my financial well-being probably feel that way about me.

Business is business.

I look for alternative places to spend my money if possible. But I don't lose sleep over the idea that I have in fact involuntarily helped horrible people to continue being horrible.

Life is a fuck.

TinyPrincess

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't lose sleep over the idea that I have in fact involuntarily helped horrible people to continue being horrible.
Disclaimer - I once played golf at Turnberry - not knowing the identity of the human feces owning the place at that time

Reactions: Tight_N_Juicy

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I had paragraphs written, but then I thought, You know, this predicament resolved on its own.

You were appalled at their quarantine content. You called her out. She responded.

if this was racist, anti vax, or other content that degrades a society unnneccesarily, well, she discovered the philosophy of consequentialism. And so did you.

Within consequentialism, is the concept of utilitarianism, where the value of an action is decided by outcome, with the goal being the best result for the most people.

In my view, what we went through in Covid brought out some (sadly temporary) utilitarianism results. Basic income, the pot banging and howling for various workers, a sense that we all need to take precautions for ourselves and others. Sure we saw a lot who disagreed, and I personally used that as a filter for people in my life. One or two boneheaded-to-me views were fine, but going out and making this views actions that hurt society overall, well, bye.

Now, it’s been a few years. And money may well win out for her. Maybe she knows she lost a lot of business due to her views. Heck, maybe her business failed. Maybe she would actually take your business.
But do you want to support a person with, let’s use the pop term of Toxic, views?

My contractee is a member of a weird church. They (the movement) say they are Jews. But they are actually evangelical xtians.

I actually am Jewish, and her movement is a serious insult to “us” for many reasons. One of which is they actively try to infiltrate Jewish spaces to learn ways to attempt to convert us.

However, business is business, as long as she makes no attempts to me.