Amy Winehouse has Emphysema at 24?

JustAsking

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
YouTube - Amy Winehouse - Do me good

Amy at her most sublime. Someone save this sweetheart from herself, please!

Then there is stuff like this: YouTube - Amy Winehouse - Me and Mr. Jones @ ISLE OF WIGHT 2007

The trick to understanding this one is that her heroes are Thelonius Monk, Sarah Vaughn and the Shirelles. This is not really singing. It is some cross between singing and a Carlos Santana guitar solo. If you listen to it like it is singing you won't get it.

Love the ending on the minor 7th like all 60's ballads should.

This one is rare: YouTube - Amy Winehouse- Fool's Gold. Again, this is voice as jazz instrument.
Also, she writes this stuff. I think she has already made her mark even in terms of just her songwriting. Stuff like Tears Dry On Their Own, etc. Really original and timeless, I think.

Amy channeling Sarah Vaughn: YouTube - Amy Winehouse - Tenderly (Live on Jools Holland)

Amy channelling Dinah Washington: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMyQfHWEOh0&feature=related

Finally, something of sheer amazing power. Watch the expression on the piano player's face. They reallly reach a state of flow around 5:00 or so, and he knows that he and she are pumping out some momentary greatness.

Last edited:

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well shes doin bloody brilliantly at Glastonbury right now! Sick or not! :biggrin1:

I thought her performance was very very awkward, borderline tragic. She has so much talent and its such a pity to see it being pissed away. I hope her luck can change and she can get back on track.

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I don't understand all the hating on creative people. They are not like everyone else, they live their lives (and are judged) differently than those who are not so creative.

This is utter bull.
Creative people are NO DIFFERENT except in the sense that they are indulged.

I have lived my whole life as a creative person... without succumbing to the dissipation highlighted in this thread.

NO taking drugs does not make you more creative- Hendricks did his best work BEFORE he lost it all to heroin..

The only difference between a rock star at rock bottom and any other skid row bum at rock bottom is MONEY, and MANAGERS...

Its the folks making oodles of cash off of you that prop you up, get you the pills you need to do one more show... and indulge your every petulant whim...
Not cause your so creative... but because they want to make as much as they can off you before you flame out.

The urge to create and express, in the hands of an artist (and, yes, I believe that AW is an artist) has the power to transform our ways of perception. This is true whether the artist is a painter or musician or architect or even a writer.

Anyone who does not understand the power of creativity for its own sake, or who calls out creative types for being different either is incapable of creativity him/herself or is being pretty disingenuous.

THis is true... but it does not give artists a license to be imbeciles... self destructive, nor foolish.

Artists are like anyone else... for every moron like Jimi Hendricks ( talented tho he was) I can point to a Dylan who has managed to MANAGE his life as well as any other person... and still be creative.

THe "tortured" artist may be a true stereotype of SOME artists... but the torture has NOTHING to do with the art...
Its the exact same self obsessed torture as ANY asshole suffers at ANY bar or crack house.

That they are artists is just the JOB they have.... they would have been the exact same self indulgent losers if they had taken a job at McDonalds.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Its seems Amy is ok. She performed in London for a birthday concert. They say she sang great and looked healthy. This pic is from the birthday concert in London from the other night.