Black face

echoboy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
A serious question here...

Is it offensive if a creative person who is not black puts on black paint on his/her face for artistic purposes and it's not to mimic the black race as it was done in the 1920's with big red lips and such. It's purely creative and the artist has already stated that the work is not meant to offend.

Being that the artist is not black though, would it be offensive still?

I'm curious about this.

I have had a couple of conversations about this in the theatre. If it's used to parody the minstrel shows that disparage blacks and stereotypes it's very offensive. If it's part of a costume to portray a black character it is less offensive depending on the concept of the character and what is being performed and how. I would need to know a bit more about the artist and what he is trying to convey before I can give an answer based on all the facts available.

As a black person, I would find it offensive period. If it was done for parody one could seek out an actual black person instead. On the flip side, how would white people feel if a black person did "white face"? I bet the white people wouldn't be happy if I went around as white face as performance art.

If it's meant to convey that it's a dark character, no.

If it's meant to convey that it's a dark skinned character, yes.
There is make-up aplenty for any skin colour to portray another colour convincingly without stooping to parody.

As a black person, I would find it offensive period. If it was done for parody one could seek out an actual black person instead. On the flip side, how would white people feel if a black person did "white face"? I bet the white people wouldn't be happy if I went around as white face as performance art.

Actually, to me it wouldn't be offensive at all. It's just make up, so if you had a comedy act, and painted your face white, as long as you were funny, I'd be laughing with you. :smile:

I have had a couple of conversations about this in the theatre. If it's used to parody the minstrel shows that disparage blacks and stereotypes it's very offensive. If it's part of a costume to portray a black character it is less offensive depending on the concept of the character and what is being performed and how. I would need to know a bit more about the artist and what he is trying to convey before I can give an answer based on all the facts available.

well i don't have a link to share but it was a video installation of a latin artist showcasing a poem that talks about empowerment and on it all you see is his face and eyes and it's obvious he painted it black. Although sometimes it looked tribal kind of like Lord of the flies. He stated that black is a powerful color and he wanted to convey it visually like that. Most people in the audience didn't find it offensive I guess. Oh and the video wasn't meant to be a parody.

Last edited:
If it's meant to convey that it's a dark character, no.

If it's meant to convey that it's a dark skinned character, yes.
There is make-up aplenty for any skin colour to portray another colour convincingly without stooping to parody.

That's why I find it offensive. Instead of using make up to portray another character, one could find people who are actually that color to play that role.

How does one distinguish between "whiteface" and mime?

It's not about distinguishing. It's the principle. For example, Johnny Depp playing a Native American character when he himself was Caucasian even though he Native American tribal make up.

Last edited:
Actually, to me it wouldn't be offensive at all. It's just make up, so if you had a comedy act, and painted your face white, as long as you were funny, I'd be laughing with you. :smile:

It's more than just make up it's the principle.

The difference between whiteface and blackface is, history. The former is just odd. The latter was used as part of an entire culture and system of racism, starting in the slavery period. You can't just separate a symbol from what it stands for, just because you want to. Images, like words, have powerful effects. Swastikas stand for nazi racism. Blackface stands for American racism.

Because people's feelings are strong and very real, its best for white folks to leave blackface alone.

The difference between whiteface and blackface is, history. The former is just odd. The latter was used as part of an entire culture and system of racism, starting in the slavery period. You can't just separate a symbol from what it stands for, just because you want to. Images, like words, have powerful effects. Swastikas stand for nazi racism. Blackface stands for American racism.

Because people's feelings are strong and very real, its best for white folks to leave black face alone.

Exactly.

well i don't have a link to share but it was a video installation of a latin artist showcasing a poem that talks about empowerment and on it all you see is his face and eyes and it's obvious he painted it black. Although sometimes it looked tribal kind of like Lord of the flies. He stated that black is a powerful color and he wanted to convey it visually like that. Most people in the audience didn't find it offensive I guess. Oh and the video wasn't meant to be a parody.

If I were to give you my advice as someone with some theatrical background... He could achieve the same or likely greater effect and image by shooting it in black and white and utilizing light and shadow instead of relying on only cosmetics... That's my two cents.

In terms of some of the other comments I can't help but remember once when I had spent a great deal of time south of the equator and had the darkest tan of my lifetime and had someone ask me if I was black or white (blonde hair grey eyes) at the hotel. I remember thinking I got the sun tan I was looking for... and in all of this one of my black friends said to me "You are darker than I am" I remember thinking it's not the color of your skin so much but it's others perception of you and your skin color.

"tribal" + black = blackface (racist)
"empowerment" + black = blackface (racist)

Saying "I don't mean to offend anyone, that's not my intent!" is irrelevant, it's the impact that matters.

Last edited:
That's why I find it offensive. Instead of using make up to portray another character, one could find people who are actually that color to play that role.
I'm inclined to agree where budgets allow, but in this case I read "artist" to mean starving artist performing a solo piece.

It's not about distinguishing. It's the principle. For example, Johnny Depp playing a Native American character when he himself was Caucasian even though he Native American tribal make up.
I'm not sure you understood my question. Your example certainly doesn't relate to it.

There are black mimes wearing the traditional white make-up of the mime. That doesn't mean they're wearing "whiteface" as a parody of white people (If it did I'd be curious to know who caucasian mimes are meant to parody). So yes, my question was very much about distinguishing between the two.

straight people play gay
guys play as women
people play different nationalities then they are
actors put on fat suits should that not be offensive
people bitched when they didn't use a real disabled person
for the role of Artie in Glee.
these days you can't do much that won't offend a significant group of people yet it still happens.

I could care less, but you're always going to have someone get butt-hurt over the least little nothing.

I'm curious to know your thoughts on Robert Downey Jr's character in Tropic Thunder?

http://backstage.blogs.com/blogstage/images/2008/08/13/robert_downey_jr_black_vs_white_2.jpg