Can We Let Texas Secede Again Already?

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Ok, I know we can’t, but can we get the moderate line back?
With the departure of Joe Straus (R-San Antonio) at the 2018 election, Texas suddenly had no fence for the far right.
Women’s medical access rights, voter rights (limits aimed at reducing historically democratic/working class turnout, including Souls to Polls, a black church movement to get their congregations to voting locations on the Sundays leading to Election Day) and the general horse’s assery that Austin has reliably pumped out for my entire life, have made Texas the single most dangerous and damaging state level political system in the US.
Getting a moderate line, especially in the Republican Party, can turn the tide.
Let’s get Texas Blue/purple, for the sake of the nation.

but for hope.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Ok, the valedictorian video of the 18 yo was removed. Fair enough, I’m sure some pans of the class had some not yet 18 yo. But it was news, and she is of age, so I didn’t think of the b roll. Whoops.

This woman chucked her approved speech and gave an impassioned, well reasoned speech on the heartbeat bill TX just passed.
And somehow didn’t say, “the men of Texas wish poverty on women.” Much less the string of profanities and stunted sentences that rolled from my lips at the news. Perhaps she did and wrote a cooler headed essay.
it was from CNN

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
We're talking about moving now that I'm retired. My husband asked what I felt about Austin. I told him I loved Austin, but I'd never live there. I'd never live anywhere in Texas. It's always been horrible.

But very soon the Latino population, which is the majority now, will realize how much power they have. That's why they're hustling to suppress as many votes as they can.

I'll dream of a purple Texas. Maybe I'll revisit the move when it's really blue, but I may be but a memory then.

palakaorion

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
And let's not forget the laissez-faire capitalism that led to Abbot's Freeze earlier this year. Dozens frozen to death, and millions in property damage to homes and businesses from burst pipes, are just the cost of protecting the rights of electric generators and pipeline operators not to winterize.

Oh and teaching children the baldfaced facts, that the current economic and public safety systems largely benefit one racial demographic at the expense of others, is verboten (implications of word choice completely intentional).

EDIT and Constitutional Carry, can't forget that little gem, because it's just too damn difficult to get a gun (eight mass shootings in Texas so far in 2021 be damned).

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I have family in Texas I've never met and never will because I have less than zero interest in traveling there. And, I can't lie.. that particular family member can eat shit or die starving for all I care. And I absolutely mean that. Fuck her.

There *are* several members here who I would love to invite to move across the border to NM where things just aren't as oppressive.

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Every couple years, a State Rep in Texas puts up a "ceremonial bill" to secede from the Union. Maybe pull the trigger this time? I have no problem with Texans. Love the music, arts, and vibe of Austin (I'm a guitar player...). But a true Texan will tell you Austin is NOT Texas. That's why they redistricted the area years ago so that Austin covers a 250 square mile voting area to smooth out the "weirdness" that is Austin.

Now here in Cali... It's blue... But it's an expensive blue.

Fun fact: On a recon mission down in Mexico (Lake Chapala) a couple years ago to explore the idea of retiring there, we met a TON of Texans and folks from Arizona living there.

Driver_tk

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm not sure what's worse...
The politicians in this country...
Or the people that defend any of them...
Or complain about any of them...
They will run the country as they see fit without regard to our opinions and certainly not our needs.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I'm not sure what's worse...
The politicians in this country...
Or the people that defend any of them...
Or complain about any of them...
They will run the country as they see fit without regard to our opinions and certainly not our needs.

I will complain when I see necessary because my tax dollars pay their fucking salary. They work for *us*. Not the other way around. And even though I don't live in Texas, I'm a woman and I stand up for women's rights. Women in Texas just had theirs taken away when it comes to making a very significant life decision. So, I will speak up when and where I see fit.

I will complain vocally, and with my vote. It's my right as a citizen of this country, and I feel more than comfortable exercising it regularly.

Driver_tk

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It's absolutely your right to complain.
But when you say they work for us????
:joy::joy::joy: . If so, get one on the phone to have the sidewalk fixed in front of your house. Or have more police patrol your neighborhood instead of theirs.
No offense ma'am, keep exercising your rights as the constitution says.
My hope was for this country was crushed about 30 years ago.
Please understand and take a deep breath while thinking about tearing me apart. :D

Driver_tk

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
And as bad as corrupt politicians and those who support them are, citizens who are willfully ignorant about what's going on and don't exert any useful effort towards changing a lot of that corruption are also part of the problem.
Well said.