Getting back my abs

sangheili90

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It all about diet, not exercise. Eat healthy foods. It's that simple

Follow a very low carb diet, get the majority of your calories from healthy fats and protein (i.e. Ketogenic diet)

Then on top of eating healthy, you can strength train, do sprints/ HIIT and have 1 or 2 days a week that you do some sort of endurance/ long distance training. But again it's mostly about your diet.

Don't tell people to follow low carb diets or more extreme versions of that, keto, as they are complete nonsense and easily result in burn out.

I agree I should have worded it as a suggestion to look into such a diet, but with all of the people that follow and back the diet you saying they are complete nonsense is well, nonsense.

Whether it be studies, or people that I know, they can attest to the diet reducing puffiness/ inflammation, weight loss, increased energy levels, reduced cravings and increased mental clarity. Now that being said of course one 'diet' or way of eating isn't optimal for everybody, but it's worth a shot!

Reactions: AlteredEgo

AlphaMale

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I didn't read all of the responses, so I apologize if any of this has been said.

1) You still want to work your ab muscles multiple times a week, it's not 100% diet. Come up with a few different routines that have varied exercises (upper/lower abs, obliques, etc.). Also, if you can vary between weighted and unweighted exercises. Do some routines as fast as possible and do others slower and contract the muscles hard.

2) Diet is still very important. Figure out your average daily calorie intake and slightly lower that number (by a 100-300 calories or so). If you are continually exercising, then you know the weight that you are losing is body fat percentage. You can use apps like My Fitness Pal to track your macro (the ratio of calories to carbs/fat/protein) and it has settings for current and goal weight.

sangheili90

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I agree I should have worded it as a suggestion to look into such a diet, but with all of the people that follow and back the diet you saying they are complete nonsense is well, nonsense.

Whether it be studies, or people that I know, they can attest to the diet reducing puffiness/ inflammation, weight loss, increased energy levels, reduced cravings and increased mental clarity. Now that being said of course one 'diet' or way of eating isn't optimal for everybody, but it's worth a shot!

Anecdotal evidence does not mean that a low carb diet is ideal, you will lose weight if you are in a caloric deficit, this is a basic fact and even people on the twinkie and mcdonalds diet were able to lose weight.. The vast majority of nutritional science confirms that low carb diets are very bad for your health, in comparison to a proper nutritional approach, and are less than ideal in regards to physical performance. How one comes to the conclusion that restricting fruit, whole grains and starchy vegetables from the diet is somehow beneficial is a complete mystery to me. To anyone reading this post, please don't follow the idiotic low carb diet gurus out there who have made millions through their book sales because of people who want to hear good things about their bad habits.

If anyone is actually interested in some science in regards to this, here is a good link to go through that will explain the basics of what you need to know in regards to how the body gains weight.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html/

D

deleted847535

reading through most of the comments the issue has been covered pretty well. Diet is the big first step to showing abs, they are made in the kitchen.
I found both the abs diet and south beach to be good eating plans to fire up fat loss and then bring you into a healthy eating plan.
the commentators about spot (ab specific exercises) are correct they alone wont show your abs they will be there but under fat. The best way to keep the fat burning going is to do total body workouts with an ab component.
Your legs gluts and back are big muscle groups when they are working you are burning calories, They continue to burn them as they recover. so think total body, squats, dead lifts, lunges, pull ups, push ups, are all good basic body functional work outs. I am a big fan of Kettle bell swings. I am also a rower, the erg is great cardio, you work legs core most of the movement and arms come in at the end.
you can add HIT to some basic body movement workouts and get a good fast workout in.

Having all your muscles help with the fat burning with muscle growth, the abs will show. Then things like planks, crunches (done right) and oblique twists will help define them more.

good luck it is an obsession of mine to loose that last 5 and make them pop and I have another month to beach season to do it.

Reactions: AlphaMale

Lancered

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Actually, I have a different problem. I have always been underweight; 10 years ago I was about 45Kg (100lbs). I was then eating anything and everything especially chocolate and cakes. Over the past 5 years, as I hit 55 years of age, my weight has gradually increased and now stands at 58Kg (127lbs). I am okay with my weight, but the problem is that all this new weight is around my belly and a bit over my thighs. I eat a lot less then I used to 10 years ago and I try to walk at a brisk pace fr at least 20mins a day.

While I do not want to loose weight, and could do with putting on a bit more, I do not want my belly t stick out any more or it will be hanging and this will cause problems of my back. Never mind the look!

N68

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Crunches are just OK when you have already developed abs. BUT they are not that useful! AND the military just banned them from their regime because they actually can do harm to your body overall. .

True that! True that! Each branch have their different SOPs. Now it's more individualized. yet standard cardio>muscle building. aerobic> anaerobic routine. Then we get to do individual training on our own.

many pro athletes eat like absolute shit, in regards to their food choices, yet are lean year round. However, this is irrelevant for the average individual out there.

Stop focusing on superficial goals and just try to make this a more enjoyable and healthy experience.

I think this is the best advice yet.

Losing weight and getting to a healthy body fat level is not difficult if you have a basic concept of nutritional science and follow a half way decent exercise routine.

Diet is the key here. Coupled with the right routine. If you are serious you will avoid empty carbs as well.
Even though this is the most salient advise , I should be following< tend to go old school.

Gym rats , don't shoot me.

I'm not the subject matter expert here. Still, when there's a crunch time to lose weight, hence the abs coming back, I go into routines where I just start fasting for long periods of time due to my work schedule.

The guys(and girl) are so right about it being about diet and routine. And at the risk of feeling some of the gym god's finger's around my throat, this routine does have disadvantages, like the weight coming back on.

But MY biggest motivator is being kicked out of the military.

Oh and cardio, LOTS of cardio for me at least..

Reactions: sangheili90