Getting back my abs

It all about diet, not exercise. Eat healthy foods. It's that simple

Follow a very low carb diet, get the majority of your calories from healthy fats and protein (i.e. Ketogenic diet)

Then on top of eating healthy, you can strength train, do sprints/ HIIT and have 1 or 2 days a week that you do some sort of endurance/ long distance training. But again it's mostly about your diet.

Reactions: deleted963073

Snarky_succubus

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
It all about diet, not exercise. Eat healthy foods. It's that simple

Follow a very low carb diet, get the majority of your calories from healthy fats and protein (i.e. Ketogenic diet)

Then on top of eating healthy, you can strength train, do sprints/ HIIT and have 1 or 2 days a week that you do some sort of endurance/ long distance training. But again it's mostly about your diet.

I eat healthy foods and keep my carbs low. It's not quite that simple. Calories. Not everyone has to track them... But if you have too much fat to see your abs, you *will* have to find yourself in a calorie deficit in one way or another to change that situation. That being said... Abs are definitely "made in the kitchen". Except for Socalfreak's. He's an alien.

Reactions: AlteredEgo

chicocklarge

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
OK people, it's real simple: have been in the process of losing an extra and pesky thirty pounds and so far have lost fifteen of the total. My question for you fitness nuts and body builders, etc is this: what would be the most effective way to regain the six pack I had lost years ago? What does it entail? I'm not looking for a back breaking routine to gain my abs in record time. I'm simply looking for a routine that can and will help me get back the six pack at a moderate pace with a moderate amount of exercise and healthy eating (which is the way I eat already). So let me know! All your suggestions, help, hints and answers are much appreciated. Thanks!
When you had a six pack before, what did you do to get it?

chicocklarge

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Crunches are just OK when you have already developed abs. BUT they are not that useful! AND the military just banned them from their regime because they actually can do harm to your body overall. You need to HIIT and 60-80% of your diet needs to be lean protein. Depends on your BMI what you need to hit gram wise a day. Diet is the key here. Coupled with the right routine. If you are serious you will avoid empty carbs as well.
Varsity Adam.. would love to see you do HIIT!

BillM

LPSG Legend
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Beverly Hills (California, United States)
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
A little thing we called Boot Camp, but I can't exactly live that style with work and boyfriend and what not. They had us exercising most of the day everyday.
Well today We call it Bootie and you should do it everyday or more!! Bill just saying

Reactions: AlteredEgo

shrevela

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
OK people, it's real simple: have been in the process of losing an extra and pesky thirty pounds and so far have lost fifteen of the total. My question for you fitness nuts and body builders, etc is this: what would be the most effective way to regain the six pack I had lost years ago? What does it entail? I'm not looking for a back breaking routine to gain my abs in record time. I'm simply looking for a routine that can and will help me get back the six pack at a moderate pace with a moderate amount of exercise and healthy eating (which is the way I eat already). So let me know! All your suggestions, help, hints and answers are much appreciated. Thanks!

No one has mentioned this but I would suggest doing weighted ab exercises. Reason being is your abs are like your other muscles in your body. They can get stronger, bigger, and thicker. The advantage to having bigger and thicker abs is that you don't have to drop your body fat as low for your abs to show.

erratic

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
For real -- you can do all the crunches you want and it won't give you a six pack. Especially as you get older, abs are more about diet than anything else. And for a lot of men, stomach fat is the most stubborn. It can take many months for it to burn off.

Say goodbye to sugar and salt, and don't let them come back.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I had defined abs once, for like two months. LOL I was doing workout tapes (that right, I said TAPES) at my grandmother's house, religiously for almost a year. Are you ready for the titles? Start-up with Jane Fonda, and Sweatin' to the Oldies 2. What? What kind of workout tapes did you think my grandma had? I also did calisthenics as my warm up, and rode my bicycle 3 times a week. I was in high school, so I had gym 5x/week. We played football, soccer, and ultimate and lifted heavy. I think I was just really skinny. Low body fat, but not a lot of muscle. I had dysmorphia at the time though. I was always trying to get leaner.

Years later, the original P90 did NOT reveal my abs. I was very strong though, and had ridiculous endurance.

Kimahri

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I think diet plays an extremely heavy role in getting those Abs to show. Being far stricter than I ever was even when I was annihilating calories playing multiple Lacrosse games a week, working out, spirited sex etc

Reactions: Flexxx

EmperorJimbo

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
You can't out train a bad diet. Low (single digit) body fat % and the abs that are already there will be visible. There is not much point in specialized exercises for the abs until you can see what's there. Too many people think that crunches or (insert exercise here) will help them lose weight just from their midsection so they'll "have abs".
Once you can see them, tweaking a bit with specialized stuff may be in order. But if you can't see them, and focus so hard on your abs that you relegate overall core and back strength to the background is just setting yourself up for a nasty shock later in your life.

sangheili90

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You can't out train a bad diet. Low (single digit) body fat % and the abs that are already there will be visible. There is not much point in specialized exercises for the abs until you can see what's there. Too many people think that crunches or (insert exercise here) will help them lose weight just from their midsection so they'll "have abs".
Once you can see them, tweaking a bit with specialized stuff may be in order. But if you can't see them, and focus so hard on your abs that you relegate overall core and back strength to the background is just setting yourself up for a nasty shock later in your life.

That isn't entirely true, many pro athletes eat like absolute shit, in regards to their food choices, yet are lean year round. However, this is irrelevant for the average individual out there. Good advice here though.

sangheili90

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Stop focusing on superficial goals and just try to make this a more enjoyable and healthy experience. Losing weight and getting to a healthy body fat level is not difficult if you have a basic concept of nutritional science and follow a half way decent exercise routine.