How to approach a guy at the gym??

BlkAthlete

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Question: How does a mostly straight guy (me), approach another straight guy at the gym without coming off as trying to hit on him. The point is not to try and get with them sexually but just to be cool with them. They are attractive but I am also. Since everyone wears ear plugs that makes it even more difficult. Any suggestions??

KTF40

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
You can ask for a spot, and take it from there. Or maybe the other guy will ask you for a spot.

That's actually how I started talking to this one guy who I found out years later was posting on the m4m section on craigslist.

socalfreak

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Two thoughts here:
- if he's wearing earplugs, he's trying to tune everything out.... he doesn't want to talk to anybody. He's focusing on the workout. You may want to leave him alone .
- you're at the gym... ask him a question about working out. Most people are all too willing to discuss their exercises/ diet/ routine ...

hungandquiteproud

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
or try to catch him after the workout. no, not in the locker room. more like you're walking on the way out, spot him, and ask him a question about his workout. something like that.

though, i can't help but ask. you just want a new workout bud or something? hard to tell based on your OP. but it seems like you're really worried about his reaction to you. if you come across as someone solely interested in a shared hobby, fears of being perceived as hitting on him tend to melt away.

BlkAthlete

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
or try to catch him after the workout. no, not in the locker room. more like you're walking on the way out, spot him, and ask him a question about his workout. something like that.

though, i can't help but ask. you just want a new workout bud or something? hard to tell based on your OP. but it seems like you're really worried about his reaction to you. if you come across as someone solely interested in a shared hobby, fears of being perceived as hitting on him tend to melt away.

Thanks man...sounds like a good idea. I'm not worried about his reaction to me so much because I catch him checking me out too. It just seems we're both playing that "I have a nice body and I know it game," plus he's white...which means there is a chance he doesn't like blacks. I plan to say something to him one day, just don't want to sound corny. :cool:

BlkAthlete

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Two thoughts here:
- if he's wearing earplugs, he's trying to tune everything out.... he doesn't want to talk to anybody. He's focusing on the workout. You may want to leave him alone .
- you're at the gym... ask him a question about working out. Most people are all too willing to discuss their exercises/ diet/ routine ...

I agree. I'm starting to make it a habit too wear one ear plug. Hopefully it will give the impression I'm open to say wassup or something.

boatnik

Worshipped Member
Media
Generally when I am in the gym I am quite focused on my routine, avoid eye contact, and would rather not be disturbed. However I often get guys asking me about a certain exercise, or how to accentuate a particular muscle, or something related to bodybuilding and I am more than happy to give them some advice. Keep in mind that the only thing you know you have in common with someone else in the gym is that you are both into fitness. Beyond that make no assumptions.

BlkAthlete

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Generally when I am in the gym I am quite focused on my routine, avoid eye contact, and would rather not be disturbed. However I often get guys asking me about a certain exercise, or how to accentuate a particular muscle, or something related to bodybuilding and I am more than happy to give them some advice. Keep in mind that the only thing you know you have in common with someone else in the gym is that you are both into fitness. Beyond that make no assumptions.

Yea I'm the same way...focused. Great advice man...the only issue is we're about the same size and cut. So it might come across as "yea right" I just gotta wait for the right opportunity to speak.

Gecko4lif

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Question: How does a mostly straight guy (me), approach another straight guy at the gym without coming off as trying to hit on him. The point is not to try and get with them sexually but just to be cool with them. They are attractive but I am also. Since everyone wears ear plugs that makes it even more difficult. Any suggestions??
Try this

"Hey"

Todah. Like Magic.

Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Sounds like THIRST...
I know that as men we are natural hunters, but sometimes you just have to play it cool and leave your desires in your head. BUT I think if you REALLY just have to speak to him, then find a way to cross his path and say "What's up?" Keep doing that on a regular basis and smile at him. If he's interested in going further, then he'll engage you in a conversation. And remember, just because someone is nice to look at doesn't mean that they have a bit a conversation to offer. Some men just rely on their body, sex appeal, and handsomeness; but have NO idea how to converse. Some guys like to be admired and don't know how to take it a step further.

Start with "What's Up?"
Smile at him.
Gauge his response.
Make your move accordingly.

cofrader

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
having lots of humans arround how do you interact with people? or every time you go to the grosery you get the groser number?

but you are trying to hit him otherwise you wouldnt consider him atractive, so why pretend? he might rip your arms of but at least you would know that he was straight. keep in mind that if he is straight you are attractive as a gas station toilet no matter how you look.

ear plugs is a do not disturb sign, there is no point on tryng to talk to a women with them, thats your first sign that is not interested, follow it.

Try this

"Hey"

Todah. Like Magic.

That's what I do. You would be amazed how many guys start chatting once you acknowledge their existence. Once the conversation starts to flow, stick out your hand and introduce yourself by name. From that point forward you will be on a first name basis. Normally this only works in the locker room or steam room. Everyone wears ear phones where I workout as well (me included) because there is no music playing in the gym. I have gotten to know many cool guys at the gym this way. After that, when we see each other on the gym floor, in the locker room, open shower or steam room, we chat clothed and naked. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Generally when I am in the gym I am quite focused on my routine, avoid eye contact, and would rather not be disturbed.

Basically the same here.

That being said, once in a while I'll talk to the guys. Are there televisions in your gym? That makes an easy conversation starter.

I've even....flat out said hello and introduced myself, and struck up a conversation. :redface: The only guy who seemed put off by it is a dickwad anyway, so I couldn't care less what he thinks of me.

As for ear plugs--mostly the women wear them at our gym. If I want to say something, I'll just say it and ignore the earplugs. They always pull a plug out, apologize for not hearing me, then I repeat it, and we can have a chat. I'm not hitting on them, and maybe that's why they'll put up with it.

Last edited: