Jogging is horrible, apparently.

MiddleCountryMo

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
This is why I hate coming on the internet. I am just coming out of a 60 pound weight gain, running is one of the only physical activities I enjoy and can do fairly well. Then I read this:

"Jogging is probably the most effective form of non-surgical gender-reassignment available for men."

So not only is it not effective, but it compromises my manhood? "Suicide ideation" is another phrase that has been thrown around. I can't.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/jogging-delusion

Reactions: 185248

BillM

LPSG Legend
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Beverly Hills (California, United States)
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Try swimming!!
the-worlds-hottest-math-teacher-has-a-phd-in-engineering-and-models-for-armani.jpg

sodominsane

Legendary Member
Media
do you know what the best exercise is........its the one you will actually do.....

someone can lay out a perfect program for you....if you don't do it....really what's the point

now as to running.....

you get better at the things you do....if you want to be a better boxer....box.....if you want to be a better lifter...lift

So what this article say is true...mostly

yes there are other and perhaps better ways to train for an activity......however

running is a good way to get some baselevel fitness....windsprints are great but going and doing 10 100metet sprints day one after a layoff is a quick way to a pulled hamstring

also its easy to do....alot of people are intimidated by going to the gym....especially new people or overweight people...however wake up at 5am....quick jog around the Block might be just what ya need to kick start a fitness plan

and finally we are good at things we do. .. And running is everywhere......miss the bus....your not clean jerking your way to catch it at the next stop....your running......nobody ever ran out of gas and jazzercised there way to the gas station

and do you really want to be the guy who's buff and diesel yet gets wonder at a family picnic game of football

now if you like running ...do it...just don't go overboard...I was completive fighter...most (99 percent) was not running.....but I still ran a mile or 2 every other day.....mainly cause my dog likes to run

still male last time I checked

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
do you know what the best exercise is........its the one you will actually do.....

YES! THIS!

As for t-nation as a source, it's probably generally o.k., but I would wonder about this one. You have to remember that t-nation is primarily focused on bodybuilding and strength training. If you want to be a runner, then you don't focus on lifting.. If you want to be a lifter, then you don't focus on running.

In any case, I don't think I'd question a Navy SEAL about his manhood when he gets finished with a run.

petetown

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
North Truro (Massachusetts, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Interval running works best for me. Fast walk, then run flat out for a minute then back to walking. Do that for two miles. Within two weeks my metabolism is running much higher and I feel great. Easier on my almost 60yo knees.

D

deleted994618

I avoid running like the plague. As a tall guy my knees won't survive if I ran all my life.

FastNHard

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Yeah, steady state cardio is really not good for you, it ages a person faster. All the cardio men at my gym look ran down, aged, gray hair, wrinkles, most are middle 40s and up, no muscle tone at all. I'm no hulk but I stay out of the cardio room, I do occasionally walk/jog 1 mile once in a blue moon. Best thing to do is get in the weight room and lift then eat clean. I'll be 45 next week, not to brag but I'm in pretty good shape.

Reactions: Stratavos

sodominsane

Legendary Member
Media
YES! THIS!

As for t-nation as a source, it's probably generally o.k., but I would wonder about this one. You have to remember that t-nation is primarily focused on bodybuilding and strength training. If you want to be a runner, then you don't focus on lifting.. If you want to be a lifter, then you don't focus on running.

In any case, I don't think I'd question a Navy SEAL about his manhood when he gets finished with a run.

except this one
YES! THIS!

except this one wp_ss_20170525_0001.png

Reactions: achillesx

Hieronymous

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I like the articles on t-nation, some great advice there. But you have to remember that the site promotes weightlifting and bodybuilding. One of the best things I ever read there was, look at your goals, look at your behaviors, then ask yourself this: do your behaviors match your goals? If you want to look like a bodybuilder, hit the weights. If you want to look like a long-distance runner, put in the miles. I like what sodominsane said about the best exercise is the one you do.

There may be truth to what the article says. I'm no expert on the science, but at the same time, I think there is no reason to judge one person's exercise choice if it works for them. And it's always good to know the costs and benefits of any activity. Surely weightlifting has its drawbacks, too. And that last statement is coming from someone whose predominant exercise choice is weightlifting.

:)
H

find83

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
T-nation has a mix of amazingly good articles and some that are a bit bullshit. I can attest to the jogging/ steady state cardio does not work for everyone. I've tried it myself and I lost more muscle mass than fat. When it comes to jogging steady state cardio it depends on where you are beginning and how long you do it. If you are already thin and looking to bulk up I would say jogging isn't good for you because you will loose more muscle than fat. I would suggest HIIT or Tabata would better suited for your goals However if you are more on the larger side steady state cardio/ jogging can be beneficial because it will not compromise your muscle gains and might actually help you loose fat. Another factor is duration. If you jog for 20min or less and you are thin you will not loose muscle mass.
There's a lot of debate on which is better HIIT or steady state cardio, with the recent fade to leaning more to HIIT. Jogging/ steady state cardio has it's merit and a mix of the two can give you a good benefit.

Like Hieronymous said each form of training has it's positives and negatives and you have to choose the best one that suits your goals

verybored

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Perpetuating the idea that jogging isn't effective for cardiovascular endurance and that is an affront to your manhood is just utter nonsense. Has anyone seen someone jogging and thought "There's no way a real man would do that"? The absurdity of that article is unbelievable.

Reactions: sangheili90

MiddleCountryMo

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
When I changed my diet a month ago, I was close to 250. I've never been that heavy in my life. Running in combination with my diet were the incremental changes I needed to get healthy again. I don't care that much about my "masculinity", I've had really poor upper body strength for a man since I was 10 or 11 so naturally running was always an easy outlet for me to get the exercise I've needed. (Also in the article the writer says gender is biological, nag dog.)

However, I realize I'm never going to gain muscle or lose the fat I've carried around in my chest and midsection by running. So hopefully once I get to a weight that isn't such a burden I will transition into some sort of weight training routine. I've tried free weights, machines, group classes, "insanity" and that other one (30 something?). They are grueling. Does anyone have any tips on a good place to start? I was thinking just push-ups sit-ups squats daily and up the reps each week. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

find83

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
When I changed my diet a month ago, I was close to 250. I've never been that heavy in my life. Running in combination with my diet were the incremental changes I needed to get healthy again. I don't care that much about my "masculinity", I've had really poor upper body strength for a man since I was 10 or 11 so naturally running was always an easy outlet for me to get the exercise I've needed. (Also in the article the writer says gender is biological, nag dog.)

However, I realize I'm never going to gain muscle or lose the fat I've carried around in my chest and midsection by running. So hopefully once I get to a weight that isn't such a burden I will transition into some sort of weight training routine. I've tried free weights, machines, group classes, "insanity" and that other one (30 something?). They are grueling. Does anyone have any tips on a good place to start? I was thinking just push-ups sit-ups squats daily and up the reps each week. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

Just remember you can't spot reduce from parts of your body, when you loose weight it is reduced from the entire body. weight training in conjunction to your cardio will aid your weight loss greatly. The cardio will help to get rid of the fat and increase your cardiovascular system, while the weight training will increase your metabolism and keep the weight that you loss off longer because muscle burns fat. The problem most people have with weight training is like you said it's too grueling and it doesn't give results. It's because you started off too hard. You need to start with the basics like push ups, squats, single leg deadlift (but only use your body weight), bicep curls and flys. If you do most of these with just your bodyweight then that is fine as you loose the weight and these exercises come easier then you can add weight or more weight. Exercises like bicep curls and flys you will need free weights do to the nature of the exercise but start off very light with them. Depending on your mobility push-ups maybe too difficult for you to do with your excess weight instead I would suggest bench press (again go light). It's best to go with a moderate set/ rep range like 3 sets of 6-10 reps nothing more than that because it really won't be beneficial (except for flys you can go 8-10 reps but due 2-4 sets). If you don't have access to free weight you can use regular house hold items as weight, just make sure you know how much they weight and you are consistent with using them. Finally for your abs planks and palloff press would be more beneficial than crunches (note: you stomach fat has more to do with diet than actually weight training so make sure you're eating right and it takes a while to loose it so don't get discourage just keep at it)

MiddleCountryMo

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Just remember you can't spot reduce from parts of your body, when you loose weight it is reduced from the entire body. weight training in conjunction to your cardio will aid your weight loss greatly. The cardio will help to get rid of the fat and increase your cardiovascular system, while the weight training will increase your metabolism and keep the weight that you loss off longer because muscle burns fat. The problem most people have with weight training is like you said it's too grueling and it doesn't give results. It's because you started off too hard. You need to start with the basics like push ups, squats, single leg deadlift (but only use your body weight), bicep curls and flys. If you do most of these with just your bodyweight then that is fine as you loose the weight and these exercises come easier then you can add weight or more weight. Exercises like bicep curls and flys you will need free weights do to the nature of the exercise but start off very light with them. Depending on your mobility push-ups maybe too difficult for you to do with your excess weight instead I would suggest bench press (again go light). It's best to go with a moderate set/ rep range like 3 sets of 6-10 reps nothing more than that because it really won't be beneficial (except for flys you can go 8-10 reps but due 2-4 sets). If you don't have access to free weight you can use regular house hold items as weight, just make sure you know how much they weight and you are consistent with using them. Finally for your abs planks and palloff press would be more beneficial than crunches (note: you stomach fat has more to do with diet than actually weight training so make sure you're eating right and it takes a while to loose it so don't get discourage just keep at it)
Amazing! Thank you so much for these tips.

Reactions: find83

TurkeyWithaSunburn

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
This is why I hate coming on the internet. I am just coming out of a 60 pound weight gain, running is one of the only physical activities I enjoy and can do fairly well. Then I read this:

"Jogging is probably the most effective form of non-surgical gender-reassignment available for men."

So not only is it not effective, but it compromises my manhood? "Suicide ideation" is another phrase that has been thrown around. I can't.

https://www.t-nation.com/training/jogging-delusion
From your link
I recently created quite a stir by stating that jogging is probably the most effective form of non-surgical gender-reassignment available for men. When T Nation tweeted this quote, it went absolutely viral, generating hundreds of impassioned comments. People called me brilliant. They also called me a complete idiot.
It worked - crappy article for clicks. If you like jogging keep doing it. Moving is usually better than not moving.
Might also try a S.H.I.T. program. (Super High Intensity Training)

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Male or female the higher one's body fat the more estrogen the body creates. Given that 70% of our adult population is overweight and 40% are obese it's no surprise we are experiencing a large increase in estrogen-driven cancers in women and men, including breast cancer in men. Need I mention the epidemic of heart disease and diabetes? I'd worry about this, not about jogging "feminizing" me.

Walk, hike, jog, run, pedal, swim, skate, climb, cross train, pound the weights--I don't care how you do it just get that shit off your body and keep it off.

Muscles don't make the man. Good health does. :)