Jogging is horrible, apparently.

MiddleCountryMo

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I wouldn't ever jog for hours like some people do :eek:
Sprinting/walking HIIT works very well, builds muscle and shreds fat, and is much easier on your joints and body.

Look at marathon runners. Do you want to look like that? o_O

also i guess some people aren't shallow and are more focused on endurance and stamina than looks?

nailz

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
also i guess some people aren't shallow and are more focused on endurance and stamina than looks?

Hours-long running endurance and stamina for what? Chasing down water buffalo with spears?
Every running addict I know has all kinds of joint issues :(
There are better ways to get in shape that don't destroy your body in the process. There are also lower-impact ways to train endurance.

Thinking about long-term effects of an exercise on my body is so shallow of me :rolleyes:

Reactions: Snarky_succubus

MiddleCountryMo

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
most people aren't running addicts though. and most marathon runners (especially those in the olympics) have bodies built for long distance running and im guessing they don't do it because they care about looking a certain way.

and speaking of chasing down water buffalos, can you tell me anything that bodybuilding is good for?

FastNHard

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
and speaking of chasing down water buffalos, can you tell me anything that bodybuilding is good for?[/QUOTE]
I can. Before bodybuilding I had to see my chiropractor every month, sometimes three days a week for a month or more. Sense starting bodybuilding I have not been in almost 9 months. Is bodybuilding hard on your joints? yes but so is sitting on ones ass all day. Do I still have joint, neck and back issues? yes but not near as bad. My joints, neck and back issues are a result of too many car accidents, going over handlebars of four wheelers and having a car fall on me, (how many of you can say that?). I'm healthier, feel better, look better than I did at 25. The more muscle you have the less stress that your joints, tendons and things like that have to deal with because everything gets stronger. HIIT cardio for me did not work, steady state cardio worked for about one month, after the body gets used to what you are doing it no longer works and then you have to do more, then before you know it you're running 5 miles and getting absolutely nowhere, all I did at that point was run off muscle.

nailz

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I can't speak for "bodybuilding", but lifting weights benefits me in many areas.
I'm stronger and I feel more capable. I don't go around lifting 50" TVs or refrigerators like men do, but I do lift and carry and manipulate things in everyday life and I am not only more capable doing it but also much more resistant to injury. Most women in my family have back, shoulder and neck injuries that could have been prevented if they had some experience in lifting weights and more muscle strength.
Looking many years into the future, lifting heavy weights helps increase my bone density and will prevent osteoporosis, and will also help me maintain my balance, mobility and strength as I age. I also do yoga for strength and flexibility.

And yeah, it also makes me look and feel better both in my clothes and out of them ;) I guess that makes me pretty shallow :rolleyes:

persiandude

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Running isn't going to turn you into a woman. If you're vastly overweight, cardio is an important part of an overall fitness program. Why not alternate running with weight training?

Reactions: sangheili90

MiddleCountryMo

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I can't speak for "bodybuilding", but lifting weights benefits me in many areas.
I'm stronger and I feel more capable. I don't go around lifting 50" TVs or refrigerators like men do, but I do lift and carry and manipulate things in everyday life and I am not only more capable doing it but also much more resistant to injury. Most women in my family have back, shoulder and neck injuries that could have been prevented if they had some experience in lifting weights and more muscle strength.
Looking many years into the future, lifting heavy weights helps increase my bone density and will prevent osteoporosis, and will also help me maintain my balance, mobility and strength as I age. I also do yoga for strength and flexibility.

And yeah, it also makes me look and feel better both in my clothes and out of them ;) I guess that makes me pretty shallow :rolleyes:

Sorry, I didn't mean to insinuate that you're shallow for caring how you look, just that you find the way marathon runners look to be ugly and as if they run for aesthetic purposes.

But yeah, I think everything is bad for something and moderation is good for everything. Everyone's bodies are different in their capabilities and what kind of health and fitness work for them. I definitely agree that running with intervals of weight training (also yoga) are the way to go.

Snarky_succubus

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual

I love it when I come into a new thread and see that you've already said all the things I would likely say

Reactions: 1019487 and nailz

MiddleCountryMo

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
and speaking of chasing down water buffalos, can you tell me anything that bodybuilding is good for?
I can. Before bodybuilding I had to see my chiropractor every month, sometimes three days a week for a month or more. Sense starting bodybuilding I have not been in almost 9 months. Is bodybuilding hard on your joints? yes but so is sitting on ones ass all day. Do I still have joint, neck and back issues? yes but not near as bad. My joints, neck and back issues are a result of too many car accidents, going over handlebars of four wheelers and having a car fall on me, (how many of you can say that?). I'm healthier, feel better, look better than I did at 25. The more muscle you have the less stress that your joints, tendons and things like that have to deal with because everything gets stronger. HIIT cardio for me did not work, steady state cardio worked for about one month, after the body gets used to what you are doing it no longer works and then you have to do more, then before you know it you're running 5 miles and getting absolutely nowhere, all I did at that point was run off muscle.[/QUOTE]

just for the record, im talking about the sport of bodybuilding, not weightlifting.

sangheili90

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
@MiddleCountryMo

I didn't even read the article when I first posted my reply to this thread, I just saw that it was from T-nation and knew what it probably would discuss. Just went through it and had a good laugh, basically the author just doesn't like distance running because he most likely sucks at it, is out of shape, finds it painful and counterproductive to his lifts. The "fitness" community, which is almost entirely based around lifting, consists of individuals who might have impressive physiques and/or be able to lift a lot of weight but very few of them are actually fit or athletic.

Reactions: Barberseville

nailz

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
the thread is about how running is a poor exercise.

just for the record, im talking about the sport of bodybuilding, not weightlifting.

Then why bring bodybuilding into it as a straw man? :rolleyes:

Even though that article is written in a controversial way (on purpose), much of it is still very true.

I'm happy that jogging worked for you, but it doesn't change the fact that there are much better alternatives that do not take such a heavy toll on your body.

Reactions: socalfreak

the thread is about how running is a poor exercise.

An Observation:

I have seen the skeletal system in folks be permanently injured after only a few years of running. There have also been instances of organ drop or tissue damage.

I also hear people report of running until they get “in the zone”, and don’t realize how stressed their body is. Endorphins and other blood chemistry alter to provide false feed back to a runner resulting in poor judgment. It would appear the concept of all things in moderation would rule once again.

Question:
A number of doctors in reputable medical facilities put their over weight patients on liquid (mostly protein) diets in order to cause rapid weight loss.

I have an old college friend who has just gone through one of these programs and lost about 150 lbs. Weight loss was rapid and my friend tells me that he did not suffer with hunger or fatigue.

Has anyone had experience with one of these programs?

What is the long-term impact on weight management and potential short term damage to body systems?

MiddleCountryMo

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Then why bring bodybuilding into it as a straw man? :rolleyes:

Even though that article is written in a controversial way (on purpose), much of it is still very true.

I'm happy that jogging worked for you, but it doesn't change the fact that there are much better alternatives that do not take such a heavy toll on your body.

because girly girl, you were talking about the cons of marathon running, so I thought a natural opposition to that would be bodybuilding, no? extreme running vs extreme weightligting.....am i cray?

socalfreak

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
because girly girl, you were talking about the cons of marathon running, so I thought a natural opposition to that would be bodybuilding, no? extreme running vs extreme weightligting.....am i cray?
Bodybuilding an "extreme"? No.
Marathon running an " extreme"? No.
Unless you're talking about abusing massive amounts of drugs and dangerous methods to become some 300 lb monster... Or repeatedly entering 100 mile mega-marathons.
Lots of area in between. Seems you have a very narrow view of what bodybuilding is.
Every person who trains with weights, from the day they start to whenever they get close to their goals, is "bodybuilding", if you want to use the true definition of the word.
http://time.com/4803697/bodybuilding-strength-training/
(Some good info in there)
Also, running doesn't damage everybody that does it. Some get hurt... Many don't.
For what I do/did, I had to utilize a combination of both heavy weight training and lots of cardio. LOTS of both, actually.
I've been examined many times by doctors & no adverse effects from either.

socalfreak

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
@MiddleCountryMo

I didn't even read the article when I first posted my reply to this thread, I just saw that it was from T-nation and knew what it probably would discuss. Just went through it and had a good laugh, basically the author just doesn't like distance running because he most likely sucks at it, is out of shape, finds it painful and counterproductive to his lifts. The "fitness" community, which is almost entirely based around lifting, consists of individuals who might have impressive physiques and/or be able to lift a lot of weight but very few of them are actually fit or athletic.
The thousands of people doing CrossFit disagree.... As would I.

MiddleCountryMo

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Bodybuilding an "extreme"? No.
Marathon running an " extreme"? No.
Unless you're talking about abusing massive amounts of drugs and dangerous methods to become some 300 lb monster... Or repeatedly entering 100 mile mega-marathons.
Lots of area in between. Seems you have a very narrow view of what bodybuilding is.
Every person who trains with weights, from the day they start to whenever they get close to their goals, is "bodybuilding", if you want to use the true definition of the word.
http://time.com/4803697/bodybuilding-strength-training/
(Some good info in there)
Also, running doesn't damage everybody that does it. Some get hurt... Many don't.
For what I do/did, I had to utilize a combination of both heavy weight training and lots of cardio. LOTS of both, actually.
I've been examined many times by doctors & no adverse effects from either.

I was talking about people who are obsessive runners and obsessive bodybuilders, but i am going to bow out from this thread gracefully.

Snarky_succubus

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
[/QUOTE]
just for the record, im talking about the sport of bodybuilding, not weightlifting.[/QUOTE]

Could you split smaller hairs, really? Body builders lift weights. Not all weightlifters are bodybuilders... but for sure all bodybuilders are weight lifters. The bottom line here, really, is... Do whatever the hell you want. If you want to run, run. If you start having joint problems, re-evaluate. Lots of people run without joint problems... Lots of people don't. *shrug* My dad was an *extreme* runner for years. He ended up with all sorts of issues from it... but you know what? Now that he's having/had them fixed, he can't wait to start running again. Zero fucks given because he loves it. People act like you should never ever do anything that could potentially cause harm. Bullshit. Some things are worth the "damage".