Last Name?

extessy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm curious as to how different gay couples that do get married decide upon their last name? Did you change your last name, or keep it the same? Also, if you did change it how did you make the decision as to which guy changes it? I know it is probably different with a lot of different people, but I am just curious and would like to hear what you guys have to say. Thanks!

Starbug

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Depends entirely on the couple. If I married my boyfriend, I wouldn't want to take on his name, but he'd be welcome to take mine if he wanted to.

There are of course some couples who double-barrel both their surnames into one.

Kdeimos

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My husband and I ended up hyphenating. Of course, we've both already got publications under our "gayden" names, so professionally we still go by those. But on our documentation we are hyphenated.
We went back and forth on what the order should be. Would he by X-Y and I would be Y-X? Or would we both have the same hyphenation? We eventually decided on having the same hyphenated last name and just went with what we thought sounded best.

D_22

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
My husband and I ended up hyphenating. Of course, we've both already got publications under our "gayden" names, so professionally we still go by those. But on our documentation we are hyphenated.
We went back and forth on what the order should be. Would he by X-Y and I would be Y-X? Or would we both have the same hyphenation? We eventually decided on having the same hyphenated last name and just went with what we thought sounded best.

That's awesome. I'm gonna ask my friend what he and his husband did with their names, never thought to ask.

Kdeimos

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I've known several couples, too, who took very different routes:
One set of friends decided to simply portmanteau their last names and mash them together. For some names it can work - they ended up with Gunterson, I think, which sounds totally fine. Part of their concern hyphenating was what to do when they eventually have children...
Another couple I knew, both of whom had very troubled relationships with their respective families, decided to just say fuck it and change their name to something totally new. They decided on the last name of a very close mutual friend of theirs who had helped both of them through difficult times even before they knew each other.
I'm glad my husband and I found what worked for us. That's the nice thing about getting gay married right now - there are no "rules" for this kind of thing. So you can just do whatever feels right.