Meditation And Yoga

I'm just wondering, a few of my mates have started to get into meditation and/or yoga, how many of u would recommend it? They say it's good for their mental health. Just looking for opinions from both men and women tbh. Thanks

D

deleted848353

You can only get women's opinions in this subforum. Meditation can help with clearing your mind not sure of the benefits of yoga

Reactions: Hung.MT and rtg

rtg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Yoga provides balance and flexibility.
Meditation is a tool to calmness.
Both as practices help self discipline.
Yoga also provides calmness. I used to practice a lot to help with my anxiety. I don’t really practice yoga anymore though.... I stopped going and lost my flexibility and then it was too hard and I gave up haha

I also highly recommend meditation. This helps me a lot with anxiety and helping me to switch off. YouTube is a great tool for guided meditation. I meditate every night and now I cannot get to sleep unless I do. I mix it up between guided meditation and non-guided when I just listen to storms on YouTube :)

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
(Slaps forehead)
Right, @rtg
I didn’t translate from the hippie.
Balance is mental and physical. Maybe flexibility is, too. Hmmmm.

yoga got weird after CorePower started. It was the first overtly secular yoga studio, and had a competitive vibe. I have had clients come in for injuries from “competitive yoga.” Teachers were acting like the sensei from Cobra Kai. (Karate Kid)

Yoga based in, but not focused on, its own history will serve you well. It focuses the mind on, and overcomes, the body, taking it to its limits and gently going a little bit more.

Restorative yoga helps people with disabilities, temporary or permanent, gain physical balance and flexibility to make activities of daily life easier. It also has an emotional/psychological benefit.

Last edited:

rtg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
@Scarletbegonia thanks for explaining that balance can also be mental, I like that :)

Competitive yoga? Sounds nuts.

I used to do restorative yoga every Friday after work, was so great to help me wind down after the week.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I used restorative yoga to rehab my frozen shoulder. Two years of pain and limited motion.
While I was working with clients with frozen shoulder.

nuts, eh? No one I worked with was well educated on it, aside from a therapist out with heart issues.

I promise to focus on better translations from the hippie. Lol.

rtg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
nuts, eh? No one I worked with was well educated on it, aside from a therapist out with heart issues.

I promise to focus on better translations from the hippie. Lol.
Haha I’m just imagining a bitchy room with everyone trying to out-do each other... and then some. I found this beginner yoga class which I went to and loved because the vibe was more chilled and everyone was there to learn and just there for themselves (plus I did never advance from what I’d call beginner stage). When I went to other classes previously I felt like so many of the women there were just trying to show off and the teachers didn’t focus on helping those who weren’t yoga experts.

Haha thanks, but I’m keen to learn about how the hippie see things too!

Thanks for the replies idk if it's really my thing but the people I know who are into both meditation and yoga say it's worth doing just to boost feeling good. I think I'll find out more for myself maybe give it a try to see how I feel about it. Can't do any harm i guess

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Thanks for the replies idk if it's really my thing but the people I know who are into both meditation and yoga say it's worth doing just to boost feeling good. I think I'll find out more for myself maybe give it a try to see how I feel about it. Can't do any harm i guess

what would your goals be?
I personally prefer qigong over yoga because it’s on your feet and moving, albeit slowly.
I prefer wile t self meditation to guided, solo or group, but I do what I can, and the occasional group setting helps me reset, as it will be something different. keeps me from being too rote.

I’m after graceful aging, being able to do my physical job into my 70s with minimal pain and flexibility issues, mental calm and clarity, lowered BP and heart rate.

Holly Doors

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I never manage to stick at anything like that, with yoga when people start having bottom burps I'm just lmao, with meditation I'm just cracking up laughing right from the beginning. I've got too much crazy going on in my head for that kinda stuff, my meditation can be found with a plate full of good food and at the bottom of a glass, that's what works for me X

Reactions: Hung.MT and lms28

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I never manage to stick at anything like that, with yoga when people start having bottom burps I'm just lmao, with meditation I'm just cracking up laughing right from the beginning. I've got too much crazy going on in my head for that kinda stuff, my meditation can be found with a plate full of good food and at the bottom of a glass, that's what works for me X

That last line is disrespectful to meditation practitioners.

You may find your joy overeating and over drinking. But you’ll find no meditation there.

Haha awesome you're mediation sounds much more up my street thanks for the post! x

Reactions: Holly Doors

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
That last line is disrespectful to meditation practitioners.

You beat me to it.

I've got a bunch of fucked up shit going on in my head. That's *why* I meditate. FFS.

I think she was just having a bit of fun not trying to poke fun at people who do meditate or yoga

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I think she was just having a bit of fun not trying to poke fun at people who do meditate or yoga

I realize that, but that's why informing her is important.

She stated that she's got too much crazy for it, whether joking or not... Mental health issues are a big part of why meditation exists in the first place.

My first post in the thread. Yeah.

Yeah I understand completely, but I also think it's important to accept that others are happy without it and it's ok to make silly comments that I don't believe were intended to be offensive or harmful.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Yeah I understand completely, but I also think it's important to accept that others are happy without it and it's ok to make silly comments that I don't believe were intended to be offensive or harmful.

Intention doesn't take away the offense.

She didn't have to basically mock those of us who do utilize the practices. It was rude.

I see it as more of an insight of what she is like as a person. I think she was more poking fun at herself, that maybe she is a little bit silly and immature in a fun way. So mediation and yoga just isn't for her, which is a fair opinion to have. Obviously I would think on a serious note, she understands that for others it can be a great source of therapy. Again this is what I got from what she said. I can't say for sure.