Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I see it as more of an insight of what she is like as a person. I think she was more poking fun at herself, that maybe she is a little bit silly and immature in a fun way. So mediation and yoga just isn't for her, which is a fair opinion to have. Obviously I would think on a serious note, she understands that for others it can be a great source of therapy. Again this is what I got from what she said. I can't say for sure.

You and I took it differently.

I am "crazy" and I meditate to try and keep myself from blowing up violently. She kinda mocked it. That's how I took it.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I had a job with an abusive boss. A lateral co-worker who knew I had a habit of a cigarillo after work, and/or another (or a shared pipe or hookah of high end tobacco) with a few sips of good cognac or red wine before bed on working days, used to tell our boss he needed me at the warehouse. It was an excuse to free me from the abuse for a few minutes. We'd grab a coffee from a shop that always comped me, and then sit on the roof of the warehouse and each smoke a cigarette.

This led to a several years long battle with nicotine addiction. And honestly? I like good pipe tobacco, and love a hookah, but I'm actually allergic to something in cigarettes. That's how I know addiction is a true monster. The allergy mattered not. I smoked a pack a week for years. I quit a few times, never more than 18 months or so.

Meditation and Prana breathing help me avoid tobacco products. I suspect I will always have cravings, and my brand will always smell enticing. But when I want to smoke, I sit down, do two minutes of Prana, drink 12 oz of water over the span of three minutes, and get back to whatever I was doing.

My therapist has me doing mindfulness practice. I hate it. But I have ADHD, and find it a helpful end or start to my day. I'm getting better at consistency. I found it had to be firmly attached to my schedule; I lack the discipline to just fit it in wherever.

I was born stiff and tight. I did ballet for 12 years and never advanced from beginner classes. I remained only adequately flexible. Once I stopped, I stiffened back up. I have been on and off with yoga for ten years. When I am consistent, I remain adequately flexible. Literally just flexible and strong enough to maintain good posture and touch my toes without bending my knees. If I stop for even a few weeks, I stiffen all the way back up. I'm currently on again, stiffer than I have ever been in my life. Progress is painful, boring, and slow, but I have health goals, and I need to stay the course.

In a world of constant stimulation, my practices of yoga, mindfullness meditation, and prana are teaching my neuro-atypical brain to slow the fuck down, and tolerate boredom. It's not fun to me. I hate it. But. It's helping. In the past, achieving a certain level of improvement made it become nore fun. Self-indulgence, in my experience, makes depression, anxiety, my crazy brain, and poor health tolerable. It's a mask. Yoga, meditation and Prana repair body and soul. Your mileage may vary.

I had a job with an abusive boss. A lateral co-worker who knew I had a habit of a cigarillo after work, and/or another (or a shared pipe or hookah of high end tobacco) with a few sips of good cognac or red wine before bed on working days, used to tell our boss he needed me at the warehouse. It was an excuse to free me from the abuse for a few minutes. We'd grab a coffee from a shop that always comped me, and then sit on the roof of the warehouse and each smoke a cigarette.

This led to a several years long battle with nicotine addiction. And honestly? I like good pipe tobacco, and love a hookah, but I'm actually allergic to something in cigarettes. That's how I know addiction is a true monster. The allergy mattered not. I smoked a pack a week for years. I quit a few times, never more than 18 months or so.

Meditation and Prana breathing help me avoid tobacco products. I suspect I will always have cravings, and my brand will always smell enticing. But when I want to smoke, I sit down, do two minutes of Prana, drink 12 oz of water over the span of three minutes, and get back to whatever I was doing.

My therapist has me doing mindfulness practice. I hate it. But I have ADHD, and find it a helpful end or start to my day. I'm getting better at consistency. I found it had to be firmly attached to my schedule; I lack the discipline to just fit it in wherever.

I was born stiff and tight. I did ballet for 12 years and never advanced from beginner classes. I remained only adequately flexible. Once I stopped, I stiffened back up. I have been on and off with yoga for ten years. When I am consistent, I remain adequately flexible. Literally just flexible and strong enough to maintain good posture and touch my toes without bending my knees. If I stop for even a few weeks, I stiffen all the way back up. I'm currently on again, stiffer than I have ever been in my life. Progress is painful, boring, and slow, but I have health goals, and I need to stay the course.

In a world of constant stimulation, my practices of yoga, mindfullness meditation, and prana are teaching my neuro-atypical brain to slow the fuck down, and tolerate boredom. It's not fun to me. I hate it. But. It's helping. In the past, achieving a certain level of improvement made it become nore fun. Self-indulgence, in my experience, makes depression, anxiety, my crazy brain, and poor health tolerable. It's a mask. Yoga, meditation and Prana repair body and soul. Your mileage may vary.
Great post. I'm glad you have found the means to help you live better and more healthy. Maybe I should take a step back from my own self indulgences and get into these things for a healthier lifestyle. Thanks!

Reactions: AlteredEgo

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Discipline starts in the mind.

As an aside, please don’t place the entirety of flexibility on toe touches. That’s ONE muscle group holding things back.
Just an example. My baseline expectation is to be flexible enough to resist injury, walk/stand/sit with good posture, and remain independent for self care operations like bathing, and lacing my shoes. Currently, my shoulders and back are too stiff and weak for good posture, and there isn't a muscle in my legs that isn't impeding a proper gait. A close friend is a doctor of occupational therapy. She's helping. When she hugged me after Thanksgiving she was horrified and started groping me all over. She gave me a massage and a list of stretches, and wants me to start visiting weekly to do somethingorother to me. Some technique she recently added to her practice. She should have some time for that in the new year.

"Girl, it's not knots when it's the whole dagum muscle! Doesn't it hurt?"

"Yes, actually. Constantly."

Diagnosis of generalized anxiety disorder was recently changed to acute anxiety. I'm pretty sure it's a contributing factor. All part of why I've been more faithful to yoga lately. Even though it's painfully boring right now. Even though it is literally 20 minutes (my max tolerance) of physical and mental torture. It's also part of why you guys see so much less of me. I'm sorting my shit out.

I'm working on a project that will keep me up most of the night. Curing times, and tiny windows for the next steps. Can't risk falling asleep. That's why I'm visiting here today, between steps. My bedtime was hours ago.

Holly Doors

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
That last line is disrespectful to meditation practitioners.

You may find your joy overeating and over drinking. But you’ll find no meditation there.
No offense intended, I just mean those things don't work for me. I'm a social party kinda person, I just don't get it I guess xx

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
No offense intended, I just mean those things don't work for me. I'm a social party kinda person, I just don't get it I guess xx

It's completely fine if those things aren't for you. That's not a reason to joke about how you "meditate" is by not meditating at all.

Do what works for you, but please think a bit harder before making silly comments like the one you made in your first post in this thread.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
The thing that bugged me was the "I've got too much crazy going on in my head for all that".

That's LITERALLY the whole fucking point. I never took any of that seriously until I fucking HAD TO.

If you have never needed to sincerely take the time to do something like this, you're not fucking "crazy" at all :mad: don't joke about that shit. It's not funny.

Holly Doors

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
The thing that bugged me was the "I've got too much crazy going on in my head for all that".

That's LITERALLY the whole fucking point. I never took any of that seriously until I fucking HAD TO.

If you have never needed to sincerely take the time to do something like this, you're not fucking "crazy" at all :mad: don't joke about that shit. It's not funny.

Maybe it's a cultural difference between the UK and the US hunni, this is a worldwide site after all. By 'crazy' I mean 'busy' 'a lot going on' 'always a little hyped'
I didn't mean 'crazy' as in mental issues.
I don't understand some of the terms and phrases you guys over there use and have to either stop and think about it or google what that means in whatever country!
I honestly don't understand what you're getting upset about, I said there was no offense intended and there wasn't.
I was simply adding my pennies worth from my life, isn't what the idea of groups and forums is for, to get a full capture of different opinions?
To me it feels like you're suggesting I'm trolling or something when I'm only trying to join in, if nobody joins in in fear that someone disagrees with your opinion then nobody would post anything!
Please know I'm a light hearted bubbly kinda woman that sees the good in most things without thinking about it, if I was actually trying to offend it would be clear in my text. I guess we all read things in our heads in a certain way too that may not be the way it was intentionally written. X

Holly Doors

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
If u don't get it then why comment at all
Well surely if nobody joins in with things then there wouldn't be a thread, I swear I just don't understand why people get so tetchy about people expressing a difference in opinion or living there life differently, that's all, I was just adding my experience of a topic in a thread! X

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Maybe it's a cultural difference between the UK and the US hunni, this is a worldwide site after all. By 'crazy' I mean 'busy' 'a lot going on' 'always a little hyped'
I didn't mean 'crazy' as in mental issues.
I don't understand some of the terms and phrases you guys over there use and have to either stop and think about it or google what that means in whatever country!
I honestly don't understand what you're getting upset about, I said there was no offense intended and there wasn't.
I was simply adding my pennies worth from my life, isn't what the idea of groups and forums is for, to get a full capture of different opinions?
To me it feels like you're suggesting I'm trolling or something when I'm only trying to join in, if nobody joins in in fear that someone disagrees with your opinion then nobody would post anything!
Please know I'm a light hearted bubbly kinda woman that sees the good in most things without thinking about it, if I was actually trying to offend it would be clear in my text. I guess we all read things in our heads in a certain way too that may not be the way it was intentionally written. X

I'm not suggesting that you're trolling. I'm suggesting that you're ignorant on the topic and that you still don't get why I thought it was rude.

I think we're done here. Have a nice week.

Reactions: Holly Doors

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sidenote. The doctor I mentioned can call me "Girl" because she is old enough to be my mother, has adopted me as her little sister, is Southern, and loves me. It is not diminishing or dismissive, it is affectionate and appropriate. Just in case anyone is wondering about the departure from my general stance on being referred to that way.

I don't honestly think there was any need for anyone to get heated... The things that people say on here is completely opinion based. Surely in this day and age we can agree everyone is entitled to that, providing they're not specifically going out of their way to offend or hurt people. I can see no malice in the things being said and certainly not an attack on people who meditate. I think maybe there are some cultural differences in the way we each use words. Anyway I think this has gone pretty wild. Thanks for all your responses I appreciate them all

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
One of the shining lights of the consciousness movement died this week.
Sail on, Baba Ram Dass. Thank you for the chemical and behavioral enlightenment.

Baba wrote a little tome in 1971. I’ve had a copy since...1978? ‘79? A brilliant work to start adolescence. By 1984, I was surfing the psychedelic waves and dancing in the billows that Dass (when he was Richard Alpert) and former fellow Harvard prof Tim Leary set loose upon America. Set and setting was more my jam than Uncle Ken’s Prankster method.
But I passed the acid test. Repeatedly.
Graduated to the natural world, and always, as the option or accent, was sitting. Be Here Now.

As I unsuccessfully ride the barrel of emotions Baba’s death is opening in me, I knows this, respect for what people dedicate their live to is a wonderful, humble thing.

I hope to be humble.

Holly Doors

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I'm not suggesting that you're trolling. I'm suggesting that you're ignorant on the topic and that you still don't get why I thought it was rude.

I think we're done here. Have a nice week.

No worries hunni, have a great week too and a lovely Christmas X

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I don't honestly think there was any need for anyone to get heated... The things that people say on here is completely opinion based. Surely in this day and age we can agree everyone is entitled to that, providing they're not specifically going out of their way to offend or hurt people. I can see no malice in the things being said and certainly not an attack on people who meditate. I think maybe there are some cultural differences in the way we each use words. Anyway I think this has gone pretty wild. Thanks for all your responses I appreciate them all

Well you can't control how we react to threads or what others post within them. I'm sorry you got more than you asked for but I'm not sorry for being honest.

Things ended up civil enough, no one told anyone to fuck off. I still enjoy @Holly Doors quite a bit and often enjoy reading her open minded posts. This was just an instance where I felt some things needed to be said. Now it's done, and hopefully everyone got something out of reading this conversation.

Happy holidays, all.

ArtAppreciation

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
what would your goals be?
I personally prefer qigong over yoga because it’s on your feet and moving, albeit slowly.
I prefer wile t self meditation to guided, solo or group, but I do what I can, and the occasional group setting helps me reset, as it will be something different. keeps me from being too rote.

I’m after graceful aging, being able to do my physical job into my 70s with minimal pain and flexibility issues, mental calm and clarity, lowered BP and heart rate.

Qigong is a great workout. I like how the list of health benefits of yoga, tai chi, and qigong are all quite similar and read almost too good to be true.

I just started going to a new yoga class with my Mom and we are loving it. :blush: I think there might be a hippie in me somewhere.