Last edited:

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

entertainment

Thanks for the Memories, ArcLight Cinemas

A beloved Los Angeles mini-chain of movie theaters is closing down, and Esther Zuckerman is writing about what it meant to the LA film-loving community. The first ArcLight theater opened in 2002, and boasted a full bar in the lobby and a great menu. It was an LA institution, and it will be dearly missed by movie and burger lovers alike.

thinking,smile
in between still practicing aged 2 sleeps system,yay ha

ie
several 'iconics' back home here,buildings,as well,funny
thats life

michael_3165

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
My nostalgia kicks...

Old school WWF wrestling
Tube trains remind me of times w my Dad
Fairground rides in Yarmouth
The local fair, bumper cars and waltzers
80s and 90s songs
Childhood cartoons, banana splits, popeye and Super Ted .
Kinder eggs and whisper golds.
Button Moon! Rainbow

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
WqCbp7a-fhCkbu6aoGkhSOzcfwJk0l1zRwKJX-QlmZrCcxllGMLExN-6riKH3BWNBVs3MOk9IrW6XHDato-puLcl5j8oIf3uZiDUkLP_Cqx5rNMhuPrJpc8O_vQJFPB69IKgfStZrVXPMpyA7g9pWt9nzu25qFDoeG0GHA3C7qTnvszPrqKByLo4T4Xh82iAQNqRsmfTYoKAWdBZVqgO5behmaUZSABS450B3o6u32_Rt51BwzHrRLcroxCllx5vQZpq7pf1uV70WqOWBKc=s0-d-e1-ft

20 million lost,that we know of,maybe

geesh,your god

humankind,has a lot to answer to

T

T_Lurch

GI Joe. The Smurfs. The A-Team. The Incredible Hulk (with Lou Ferrigno). The Transformers. Robotron 2084. Centipede. Atari 2600. Intellivision. Throbbing Gristle. Slayer. Skinny Puppy. GG Allin.

Reactions: Call_Me_Dave

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
GI Joe. The Smurfs. The A-Team. The Incredible Hulk (with Lou Ferrigno). The Transformers. Robotron 2084. Centipede. Atari 2600. Intellivision. Throbbing Gristle. Slayer. Skinny Puppy. GG Allin.

got 1/2 of them here
geuss rheres no bounds whe money can be made from whomever huh

Reactions: T_Lurch

NCbear

Superior Member
Media
Greensboro (North Carolina, United States)
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Vinyl car upholstery AND rec room sofa/chair upholstery. In orange, green, mustard yellow, or powder blue/gray.

Big American two-door cars with fake Spanish names or “Corinthian leather” sharing the road with little Japanese sedans and wagons smaller than the “downsized” American “personal coupes.” The only SUVs were Jeeps and International Scouts. And they were all muddy.

Ping pong and wiffle ball and Frisbee golf. At the beach.

Big hair, loud makeup, and tight cutoff jean shorts. In cow-udder pink.

NCbear (who could probably think of more, if pressed)

Reactions: pdxjoe and rbkwp

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Hmm... nostalgia... where to start. Well, on the lighter side, some personal and not so:
  • Robot Commando and Lincoln Logs.
  • The Man from U.N.C.L.E., The Mod Squad, I Spy, and Get Smart.
  • The Whaler at Burger King.
  • The Temps, 45's and those little inserts to play it on a record player with a thin spindle.
  • The guy who drove through the neighborhood selling fruit and vegetables from his truck, the ice cream man, and the guy who'd knock on the door once a week shouting "Presser" and my parents would go "Not today."
  • House parties, Lincoln Beach, and getting a block of ice from an "ice house."
  • Mountain high swirl of soft serve vanilla ice cream cones at Dairy Queen.
  • Rabbit ears and transistor radios.
  • Polaroid 210 instant folding camera.
  • Kodak 110 pocket cameras.
  • Royal Castle Burgers.
  • Hot donuts from Picou's Bakery, Melbas, McKenzies, and REAL chocolate malts at the K&B (not the milkshakes masquerading as them) when they had soda fountains (local indulgences).
  • Mardi Gras Day picnicking on Orleans Avenue "neutral ground" and Zulu showing up unexpectedly.
  • Mary Jane candies, "wine (sour) candy" on a popsicle stick in the shape of a hand, Tootsie Rolls that tasted like Tootsie Rolls.
  • When Cracker Jacks had lots of peanuts in it instead of a few, and Hershey's had plenty almonds.
  • When shorts were ACTUALLY short and speedos were cool.
  • Colecovision with an Atari adapter and Zaxxon.
  • Wing Commander (the original version Wing Commander (DOS) - Intro & First Mission (Enyo 1) - YouTube).
  • Radio Shack Model 1 with cassette tape storage and thermal printers with that wire dohicky on the back.
  • That dial up tone for internet connection (Dial Up Internet Sound - YouTube).
  • Having and extra long coiled cord to the telephone's handset that you'd have to untangle every so often.
  • Phone booths and drive in movies.
  • Eight track tape players and Sony Betamax (though I never owned either. Went straight to cassette and VHS).
  • The smell of ditto fluid.
  • Laser Discs, and "stereo systems" that came in one cabinet and looked like a piece of furniture.
  • Those olive army field jackets that people started wearing only mine had a name patch on it.
  • Tie dyed shirts, bell bottoms, and "head shops" smelling of patchouli, where I once actually BOUGHT a pair of red white and blue bellbottomed jeans (never actually wore them out though).
  • How I could comb my hair out into a huge "Fro" when I wanted.
  • Are You Experienced and "Paul is dead".
  • George McGovern and day glow peace symbol posters on my bedroom wall.
  • Backseat of a packed Volkswagen with "Here Comes the Sun" in Quadraphonic sound.
  • Night jasmine, big moon, "Villanova Junction" (Jimi Hendrix - Villanova Junction - Woodstock 1969 on Vimeo ) and the way she looked in those flare legged low rise hip-huggers with the corset top laced up the back (ouch!)

Last edited:

Squirrel1

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Hmm... nostalgia... where to start. Well, on the lighter side, some personal and not so:
  • Robot Commando and Lincoln Logs.
  • The Man from U.N.C.L.E., The Mod Squad, I Spy, and Get Smart.
  • The Whaler at Burger King.
  • The Temps, 45's and those little inserts to play it on a record player with a thin spindle.
  • The guy who drove through the neighborhood selling fruit and vegetables from his truck, the ice cream man, and the guy who'd knock on the door once a week shouting "Presser" and my parents would go "Not today."
  • House parties, Lincoln Beach, and getting a block of ice from an "ice house."
  • Mountain high swirl of soft serve vanilla ice cream cones at Dairy Queen.
  • Rabbit ears and transistor radios.
  • Polaroid 210 instant folding camera.
  • Kodak 110 pocket cameras.
  • Royal Castle Burgers.
  • Hot donuts from Picou's Bakery, Melbas, McKenzies, and REAL chocolate malts at the K&B (not the milkshakes masquerading as them) when they had soda fountains (local indulgences).
  • Mardi Gras Day picnicking on Orleans Avenue "neutral ground" and Zulu showing up unexpectedly.
  • Mary Jane candies, "wine (sour) candy" on a popsicle stick in the shape of a hand, Tootsie Rolls that tasted like Tootsie Rolls.
  • When Cracker Jacks had lots of peanuts in it instead of a few, and Hershey's had plenty almonds.
  • When shorts were ACTUALLY short and speedos were cool.
  • Colecovision with an Atari adapter and Zaxxon.
  • Wing Commander (the original version Wing Commander (DOS) - Intro & First Mission (Enyo 1) - YouTube).
  • Radio Shack Model 1 with cassette tape storage and thermal printers with that wire dohicky on the back.
  • That dial up tone for internet connection (Dial Up Internet Sound - YouTube).
  • Having and extra long coiled cord to the telephone's handset that you'd have to untangle every so often.
  • Phone booths and drive in movies.
  • Eight track tape players and Sony Betamax (though I never owned either. Went straight to cassette and VHS).
  • The smell of ditto fluid.
  • Laser Discs, and "stereo systems" that came in one cabinet and looked like a piece of furniture.
  • Those olive army field jackets that people started wearing only mine had a name patch on it.
  • Tie dyed shirts, bell bottoms, and "head shops" smelling of patchouli, where I once actually BOUGHT a pair of red white and blue bellbottomed jeans (never actually wore them out though).
  • How I could comb my hair out into a huge "Fro" when I wanted.
  • Are You Experienced and "Paul is dead".
  • George McGovern and day glow peace symbol posters on my bedroom wall.
  • Backseat of a packed Volkswagen with "Here Comes the Sun" in Quadraphonic sound.
  • Night jasmine, big moon, "Villanova Junction" (Jimi Hendrix - Villanova Junction - Woodstock 1969 on Vimeo ) and the way she looked in those flare legged low rise hip-huggers with the corset top laced up the back (ouch!)
Your post brought back a lot of memories. Thanks.

Reactions: b.c. and NCbear

DiamondJoe

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
aphonopelma_madera_female_zookeys_560.jpg

on island living
trying to be cool abd natural
1sr line of defence,adainst flies,in my caravan ha

srill ponderi ngh
n over t
wt.... as close as
Not nostalgia but that photo certainly triggered a memory of a piss shack in Honduras that I visited (basically a hole in the ground with a bucket over it). When I removed the bucket, fuck me, one of those crawled out :eek::scream::sob::D

God, did I ever jump!

Reactions: rbkwp and T_Lurch
T

T_Lurch

Not nostalgia but that photo certainly triggered a memory of a piss shack in Honduras that I visited (basically a hole in the ground with a bucket over it). When I removed the bucket, fuck me, one of those crawled out :eek::scream::sob::D

God, did I ever jump!
I actually held one of those suckers when a friend of mine took the tarantula out of its terrarium and placed it on my hand. He had unusual taste in pets.

After the initial screaming ab-dabs, it wasn't so bad. It crawled up my arm to my right shoulder and stayed there. Kind of tickled.

Still not something I'd want to find in my bed.

DiamondJoe

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I actually held one of those suckers when a friend of mine took the tarantula out of its terrarium and placed it on my hand. He had unusual taste in pets.

After the initial screaming ab-dabs, it wasn't so bad. It crawled up my arm to my right shoulder and stayed there. Kind of tickled.

Still not something I'd want to find in my bed.
Oh yes - I know that tarantulas are not poisonous but in a dark hut when something the size of your hand scuttles out when trying to have a wazz... yes. Bit of a surprise! :D

Reactions: rbkwp and T_Lurch

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
aphonopelma_madera_female_zookeys_560.jpg

on island living
trying to be cool abd natural
1sr line of defence,adainst flies,in my caravan ha

srill ponderi ngh
n over t
wt.... as close as

irony,is it
not nostalgia,but close enough/related,by downunder standards ha,WT ..

How tarantulas conquered the globe
8 legs are made for walking, apparently.

Despite often being cast as the terrifying creature in pop culture, tarantulas, or theraphosids, are not actually aggressive. They're homebodies, preferring to spend their time in their burrows with their families. Females and their young hardly ever leave home, and males only go out to mate. Stay away from them, and they'll stay away from you. This makes tarantulas' presence on six out of seven continents something of a mystery. How did such non-adventurous creatures end up in so many places? A new study published in the journal PeerJ from a team of international researchers provides the answer: They walked there as they rafted across the earth atop drifting continental masses.

The lead author of the study is Carnegie Mellon University's Saoirse Foley, whose team included researchers from Universität Trier in Germany and Yale-NUS College in Singapore. Together, they conducted a wide-ranging analysis of 48 spider transcriptomes, a compilation of RNA transcripts inside of cells. The researchers used the transcriptomes to construct a "family tree" and time-calibrated it using software and fossil data. The data goes back 120 million years to the Cretaceous period. The research revealed that tarantula migration wasn't just a matter of riding the pieces of the Gondwana supercontinent as it split—the spiders may have done some dispersing through the areas in which they found themselves, with groups heading in opposite directions and some choosing trees over ground life. Two groups that landed in Asia were separated by 20 million years.

Read the full article here.

ps
arbie,been upsetting the lpsg applecart since 2007 ha
USA commandering perhaps huh