Open Showers

I think times like this have changed things in USA over the years because men are raised not to be proud of their bodies when naked around others ..

And the fact they are so homophobic at the thought of gay men admiring their bodies while in showers..but they need to realize it’s not just in these showers that gay men enjoy being around them..

So gay men are going to see you naked whether you know they are gay or not ..

I think times like this have changed things in USA over the years because men are raised not to be proud of their bodies when naked around others ..

And the fact they are so homophobic at the thought of gay men admiring their bodies while in showers..but they need to realize it’s not just in these showers that gay men enjoy being around them..

So gay men are going to see you naked whether you know they are gay or not ..
A difference exits among unfounded presumption, credible opinion and fact. Those differences lay in the kind of evidence, or lack thereof, one possesses.

"Men are raised not to be proud of their bodies when naked around others" is a sweeping generality without base. It is just as easy to say, "Men are raised to be very proud of their bodies when naked around others." Indeed, I believe the latter is more true than the former, but that belief is simply another example of unfounded presumption to demonstrate that one such presumption counters another.

The statement, "And the fact they are so homophobic..." is an example of an opinion that is anything but "fact." I've never known one man -- not a single man -- who was pathologically afraid of a gay man admiring their body. In either case -- your statement or mine -- we are stating opinions based on our experiences or perceptions and not stating "fact."

Your world view seems to be dominated by a certainty that straight men are homophobic, more men should be more naked in front of other men, and there are not nearly enough opportunities for men to be naked together in socially acceptable venues. Such a view is bound to disappoint and blame will be laid on others for that disappointment.

Now, challenging your beliefs to their limit, and suspending them for the briefest of moments that an alternate reality exits, perhaps you can imagine a different narrative that some men -- maybe even most men! -- for reasons other than corrosive culture or fear of gay men, simply do not want to be naked in front of other men, and that such a reality is good and right and normal.

Reactions: miaorlntam
There are definitely guys who are afraid to be seen naked by any man -- probably is homophobia. I've sampled different gyms -- the ones with the pools tend to be the ones where more guys get naked. Gyms that are strictly for body builders tend to have much fewer guys getting naked. About half of the guys who use the locker room at my regular gym never shower. A small percentage of guys who shower will undress behind shower curtain and dress under towel. That's a lot of effort to not be seen.

That's a lot of effort to not be seen.
Indeed. It started with the "towel dance" in the late 90's/early 2000's and has only skyrocketed since. Something has happened to make us feel inadequate and shameful at least in the U.S. The Gen Zs and Xs telling the "boomers" they should feel shame for being naked and to "cover up".

Reactions: coffinhack
There are definitely guys who are afraid to be seen naked by any man -- probably is homophobia. I've sampled different gyms -- the ones with the pools tend to be the ones where more guys get naked. Gyms that are strictly for body builders tend to have much fewer guys getting naked. About half of the guys who use the locker room at my regular gym never shower. A small percentage of guys who shower will undress behind shower curtain and dress under towel. That's a lot of effort to not be seen.
It amazes me that any man who might not want to be naked with other men is considered homophobic. Is it not possible to imagine a host of other reasons, whether or not you find them objectionable, to explain their predilection other than a fear of gay men? I think it's more likely that the gay men condemning those men as "homophobic" do so in an attempt to coerce men into getting naked for their personal jollies, which I consider deceptive, dishonest and deviant.

It amazes me that any man who might not want to be naked with other men is considered homophobic. Is it not possible to imagine a host of other reasons, whether or not you find them objectionable, to explain their predilection other than a fear of gay men? I think it's more likely that the gay men condemning those men as "homophobic" do so in an attempt to coerce men into getting naked for their personal jollies, which I consider deceptive, dishonest and deviant.
It's actually funny how mindset changes over time. Back in the day, when communal showers were the norm, espcially in middle and high schools, if you were shy about getting naked or being seen naked, people assumed you were gay. Now, if you're totally open to it or too eager about it, people assume you're gay. Truth is, naked is just naked. It doesn't have to be sexual at all. Too many men get hung up on that shit and it's ridiculous.

It's actually funny how mindset changes over time. Back in the day, when communal showers were the norm, espcially in middle and high schools, if you were shy about getting naked or being seen naked, people assumed you were gay. Now, if you're totally open to it or too eager about it, people assume you're gay. Truth is, naked is just naked. It doesn't have to be sexual at all. Too many men get hung up on that shit and it's ridiculous.
So true. If you were too shy to get naked it equaled an erection and equaled gay. I remember a time when my gym had open showers and showers with stalls. Once I went to the shower with stalls and I got laughed at by the other guys. Now it's completely flipped. Go figure.

In my experience, where communal showers were the norm, especially in middle and high school, no one paid attention to guys who might be shy, and no one paid attention to each other's dicks, and no one assumed anything about your sexual preferences. The truth is, regular guys don't care and regular guys can be straight or gay or closeted or open. They didn't care then and they don't care now. The only men who seem to care are the ones who are sexually excited by the concept of being naked among other naked men and who are offended that all men don't feel the same.

That is so strange to me - in my mind, a good shower, be it in an open shower (I couldn’t care less about being seen naked in a shower / locker room) or in a cubicle, marks the end of a good workout. It would feel weird to leave without showering.
Agreed 100%. The whole purpose of locker room and showers, they are transition rooms to dress or undress, to shower, use sauna etc. The point is those rooms are all considered "wet areas" where full nudity is expected if not full on required. I don't get it. My gen (60's & 70"s - 80's college) didn't have these hang ups. We were always naked, never shy, did what was needed to get on with our day.

In my experience, where communal showers were the norm, especially in middle and high school, no one paid attention to guys who might be shy, and no one paid attention to each other's dicks,
I disagree, especially in jr & sr we did pay attention to each other's equipment.

of course we all did! We'd get 'caught' checking another guy and see them smile, and they would get caught checking you. Everybody checked out each other always. Some time praying you would not get stiff just because sometimes it had a mind of it's own, weather you were thinking about the other stuff you saw in the shower with you or xbox. And of course many times thoughts went through your head then and when you got home alone. Maybe it was more normal for me, I went to camps when I was young so open showers were just how it was, and my first school we started showering in gym when we started changing into gym clothes - starting at grade 4 (!). My first school was a smaller k-12 school, so you saw the whole range - which was quite exciting. Best was going in the locker room after school. It was both normal and exciting at that school and helped by seeing all different stages and tracking when you might be like some others you saw.

I disagree, especially in jr & sr we did pay attention to each other's equipment.
You disagree with what I experienced? I did not realize you were there, occupying my being when I was experiencing what I was experiencing. You could have at least helped me on some math tests. It is possible you were inside my psyche and paying too much attention to other guys' dicks to be seeing things through my eyes at the time. So, to catch you up, now that I have your attention, I will reiterate: in my experience -- which was extensive -- no one cared enough about other guys' dicks to admire or tease, and no one cared enough about their own dicks to put on a display or to hide. But now I know you disagree with what I experienced because you were quietly checking out the boys from inside my head.

Reactions: Max Well