Please Recommend Sports Gear To A Beginner

Estebann

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hi, guys. I would like to lose weight by doing a little exercise at home.
Does an abdominal trainer work for beginners? But foldable exercise bikes seem easier.
What sports equipment works better? Could you recommend any sports equipment and brand?
Thanks a lot

jtheimpaler

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Completely Depends what your goals are, no one piece of equipment will get you to where you wanna be.

If weight loss is the goal, it has to be sustainable and that often means a lifestyle overhaul, not just jumping on a bike everyday

and for what it is worth, before you start spending , get out and walk three mile a day….. make it a habit, see how you get on, don’t obsess over the scales as that is where errors are made. And think about your diet.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Welcome to LPSG, @Estebann

are you seeking cardio options at home? Or more a physique building option?
What’s your budget?
Is there a spot you want to see improvement in shape? (Arms, legs, overall reduction in fat?)
Are you limited to in the house? Or can you go out in the neighborhood?

My partner loves cycling and has his old bike on a stand that makes it a stationary bike. It fills the use of a spin class for him. He does ride outside, but winter and rainy days are covered.
He’s also loving Body Pump, using videos. He did invest in the weights, and loves them for BP and just the usual reasons you have weights around.

I lean towards resistance bands, a hula hoop (not weighted, but I’ve had them before and they do “work”), and using a bunch of space for dancing. And medicine balls, I love those.
We also walk three miles minimum each day we are together. The discipline slips when we aren’t.
I have had weights myself. My spawn, who is becoming a personal trainer, suggested I use a gallon of water as a weight/ kettle ball, given my weight needs. So cheap options exist for testing the waters.

Reactions: twoton

51arledge

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thanks for your help. I have bought an abdominal crunch machine already.

Oh dear!
Abdominal crunches are NOT recommended anymore by anyone who knows physiology. They lead to vertabae damage sometimes with only surgical remedies.

Sit-ups are fine, though.

And BTW, weight loss happens in the kitchen primarily. Well that and the push-back exercise: Push back from the table!

And walk.

Reactions: Scarletbegonia

trevorstmcgoodbody

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Speaking from someone who’s done a weight loss journey, cut sugar out of your life, find something you actually like doing, for me it was swimming, do it first thing in the morning to take advantage of the state of fasting you’re currently in. Mix cardio and core exercises for better results if your trying to get a six pack. But yea if your beginning, just walk for three miles a day, you will see results.

Reactions: S_Dick

rockettt

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
for general workout:

- a mat
- two dumbbells (you can start at 6 or 7 kg each, depending on your strength)
- a balance pad
- a medicine ball (3 kg is enough)
- a kettlebell (you can start at 12 kg, depending on your strength)

you can do most power, strength, balance, core and (obviously) full body workouts with this combination. There are a lot of free tutorials and courses online. Combined with regular runs or swimming, you should be fine.

You could even leave the dumbbells or kettlebells out at the beginning and be fine. A medicine ball and a balance pad work wonders, if used correctly.

It's important to not overdo it at the beginning. 20 to 30 minute sessions three times a week are enough. Like warm up, 3 exercises with 3 repetitions and cool down. If you get into the flow, you can extend your workouts.

If you wanna buy a machine: my secret tip is a rowing machine. It's a full body and cardio workout (if done properly) and very effective - but it can be on the expensive side and you need the space at home.

And of course, nutrition is everything. Just eat healthy and sharpen your senses on what food gives you comfort and energizes you and what food makes you tired. Taking time to cook is part of an efficient workout.

PS:
Many cities have outdoor fitness or yoga classes these days. Joining a group is always more fun.

Reactions: deleted907269

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Oh dear!
Abdominal crunches are NOT recommended anymore by anyone who knows physiology. They lead to vertabae damage sometimes with only surgical remedies.

Sit-ups are fine, though.

And BTW, weight loss happens in the kitchen primarily. Well that and the push-back exercise: Push back from the table!

And walk.
Sit ups are also under fire.
The emphasis shifted to planks.

Reactions: 51arledge

ThiccLdn

Experimental Member
Media
Honestly the main thing to lose weight is just to make sure you're in calorie deficit. Exercise is secondary to what you eat with losing weight. If you were to only do one exercise though id recommend rowing machine but do some planks too.

Good luck!!!

Reactions: ryans138

hzs3fg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Honestly the main thing to lose weight is just to make sure you're in calorie deficit. Exercise is secondary to what you eat with losing weight. If you were to only do one exercise though id recommend rowing machine but do some planks too.

Good luck!!!

While exercise may be secondary, the risk of focusing on diet and ignoring exercise is that you are more likely to lose muscle mass along with the fat.

You should always do enough exercise to, at the least, keep your muscles active and toned. You don't need to start lifting heavy weight, but you should lift enough to keep your muscles engaged.

Reactions: ThiccLdn

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
CICO/ calories deficit goes only so far.
What and when you eat matters.
If I ate 1200 cal in the form of a fast food meal, compared to a day of veggies, lentils, and whole grains, I’m going to burn more efficiently on the real food meals over takeaway meals.
Will I lose some on any deficit? Yes. Will it be better with real food and exercise? Oh, yes.