Random thoughts

why i say to stay the fuck out of every other place out there human animals,worse than animals

Email
Inside Project A119, the secret US plan to detonate a nuclear bomb on the Moon
RN
By Antony Funnell for Future Tense
Posted July 17, 2019 06:30:00

PHOTO: The battle for global supremacy during the Cold War was very serious business. (Getty: Gary Hershorn)

RELATED STORY: NASA's Artemis project aims to land first woman on the Moon

MAP: United States
Long before JFK spoke inspiringly of sending humans to the Moon, the American intelligence community was concocting a very different plan.

Landing on the Moon was option B.

Option A was to detonate a nuke on it.

In the late 1950s, Washington set in place a secret operation to examine the feasibility of detonating a thermonuclear device on the surface of our closest celestial neighbour.

It was codenamed Project A119.

Had it gone ahead, the expression "shooting for the Moon" would have gained a whole new meaning.

A spectacular scheme born of desperation
What might now seem unimaginable only makes sense in the context of the Cold War, historian Vince Houghton says.

PHOTO: Soviet premier Nikita Khrushchev meets with US president John F Kennedy in 1961. (Getty Images: Underwood Archives)

Paranoia and distrust had reached fever pitch on both sides of the Iron Curtain by the late 1950s, and military one-upmanship was the order of the day.

The United States and its arch-nemesis the Soviet Union were at loggerheads, vying for global supremacy.

In 1956, while addressing a gathering of Western ambassadors, Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev declared: "Whether you like it or not, history is on our side. We will bury you!"

His blunt message sent a chill down the collective international spine.

"These were times when true desperation played a role in our decision-making," says Dr Houghton, curator of the International Spy Museum in Washington.

"We — the United States, Great Britain, the Allies — faced an existential threat to our existence. And when that happens, you make decisions you might not make in another circumstance."

The situation went to Code Red in October of 1957 when the USSR successfully launched the world's first satellite, Sputnik.

PHOTO: The launch of the Sputnik satellite terrified the West, who thought they were better inventors.(Getty Images: Sovfoto/Universal Images Group)

The deployment caught the world by surprise. It was not only a great technological achievement, but was intended as a symbol of Russian superiority.

Before there was a plan to land on the Moon, there was a plan to nuke it

There's a lot of pics on this thead :heart_eyes:
I just had a random thought to contribute this afternoon, and hope that's ok
(no pictures)

I should buy some land in Florida .....it's where many old people go to die anyways! *helpless little shrug* and turn it into a graveyard, yes, and sell burial plots to rich people. No, that sounds like such a terrible idea. Nobody likes making money selling holes in the ground.....do they?

I guess we'll have to wait and see.
"Well why the hell would I buy my ... what the heck...BURIAL PLOT from you, when I have no idea where I'm going to DIE?!"

Very valid question
I get that I lot.

If you knew where you were going to die, would you go there?

Reactions: rbkwp
love meat
mmmmm

well mebeee ass,uhmmm arse
duh,be done for b............ty mebeee

wsVRbe6RQAG0uQ5wQIXnfHjgabgAJLOm-9iCu6vymUVq4EnOoho7bj8x75Y2xnnnh-Q6YrqUp0sc6ftjbsiLU1IGbWMiT5yOxtH8pjLTaQ=s0-d-e1-ft

reminisce smile

Game meat processor questions deer management in Tasmania

unrelated to game meat ha
inbetween a lamb and sheep its called a hoggett
Au/NZanyway,dont know if so elsewhere
while working in a freezing works/abbatoir early teens stood on a corner of overhead railing,tapping all these hoggetts,on there way to a freezer,eventually destined for expprt
tradefeed the millions o'seas etc
never had one seen a perfectly formed specinen of an animal,i thought at the time

States across U.S. are taking bold steps toward protecting animals
In state firsts, fur may be banned in California, and New York has moved to ban cat declawing.

A6RMSxYdOX11y8yRzbdmgC9vfLP7e_9lFXQZwfdtwXVNXz_GVwXewoGPNjLLzEBlMqwKqoenJoDcOeHLnVBYHWsVU3NphT3b2mDMyXEg7kVnVLCvw7o3slj0mR1A4__rWXcd2xWSyw=s0-d-e1-ft

i would say many are more aware of preservation than formerley
except the stubborn Jpanese

6 recent deaths push rare whales closer to extinction

There are only about 400 North Atlantic right whales left, and they’re being killed faster than they can reproduce.

wnWXP4K3Gr3FZuf3cUfLTV723mERNb0dzoxJ8y6bQ4lq4m-wOJn5E2jGdmVA46P4zV-tBdaEiOcyb0vzHQAh85Jzer--XO_paD7tgqGWr7w6TcKi0RQRuJseYZOjqfXeEdJBTHETJC86ldc=s0-d-e1-ft

6 recent deaths push rare whales closer to extinction

GOAT EMOTIONS
Goats can perceive each other’s emotions from their voices
New research shows that goats can hear subtle emotional changes in goats’ calls, furthering our understanding about how animals perceive the world.
LEARN MORE

Reactions: ArtAppreciation
nasty crittersd
personally hate them to the max ha
no real purpose in our chain except annoyance haha

Asian tiger mosquitoes bite during the day and can transmit diseases including chikungunya.(Gordon Zammit/Alamy)
Field trial wipes out super-invasive mosquito
Researchers have all but obliterated populations of the world’s most invasive mosquito species — the Asian tiger mosquito (Aedes albopictus) — from two sites in the Chinese city of Guangzhou. Scientistscombined two promising techniques for the first time to reduce the A. albopictus populations by up to 94%. First, they infected mosquitoes in the lab with three strains of a bacterium that hinders males’ ability to reproduce and transmit diseases. Infected females can interfere with the efficacy of the bacterial intervention, so researchers then irradiated the insects to make only the females sterile — removing the need for females to be painstakingly removed by hand.

Nature | 4 min read

sweet gentle rain on corugated iron roof @ 12-20 am,after 1st sleep
oh str milk and 2 choc cookies wi milk
kids snack but feel like it

How to Avoid Brain-Damaging Chlorpyrifos in Milk and Produce

ahd
GW/CC info can get royally UK F'kd
with its suggestion
individuals can decide i say
let your F'kn corporates/companies
ie Nestle McChucks etc lead the way first, then we may consider

Cut Beef Consumption in Half to Help Save the Earth, Says New Study

Unpopluar opinion:
I finally watched Love, Simon and the part all the way up football part( i think its safe to say that and not given any of it away) was good but after that it went down hill. I thought it was bad after that...

***SPOILERS*****
***SPOILERS*****
***SPOILERS*****
***SPOILERS*****
***SPOILERS*****
***SPOILERS*****
***SPOILERS*****
***SPOILERS*****
***SPOILERS*****
***SPOILERS*****
***SPOILERS*****

I mean when the other person finds out and the ferris wheel scene...that shit never happens and they went from not knowing each other to within a few days making out on a ferris wheel. Either they rushed the f' out of that OR they're continuing this notion that gay guys are easy and if you make any attempt to flirt with them then you'll going to score.

EAT
P18krlvYI0r6TLbZxh7mTH4ueV4hPIYqfWgLq3md9CFR8KkcXtC9WIuooBNfbUWXDOWDZeDeCC7UxMZmyH0nAfa5tiot03OUXmEgSd7Ez38VD-_fwalSN68aiGolUrlSZ3FLDcPQYE1lpvycvWqENJe0hzomlJy30E4=s0-d-e1-ft

77LIpN8P5TUmpSZCNb9oKO5i9kj6Dz3Lv7w01ru1-21jekJJPyPUW-i5vYwOXQT44UhEEGxdDy0xKJ0IXOdbXKML95jlhj2453orGSrezyU=s0-d-e1-ft

HOW TO GET STARTED SMOKING MEAT, ACCORDING TO A THIRD-GENERATION BBQ LEGEND
77LIpN8P5TUmpSZCNb9oKO5i9kj6Dz3Lv7w01ru1-21jekJJPyPUW-i5vYwOXQT44UhEEGxdDy0xKJ0IXOdbXKML95jlhj2453orGSrezyU=s0-d-e1-ft

meat mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
its the gay animal in me mmmm double mmmmm

may as well add

just to show pretty well gone past the other ha

Nutrition Science Is Broken. This New Egg Study Shows Why.

BY Timothy F. Kirn

Opinion | When so much of what we are told about diet, health, and weight loss is contradictory, can we believe any of it? Probably not. Nutrition research tends to be unreliable because nearly all of it is based on observational studies, which are imprecise, have no controls, and don’t follow an experimental method. Read on »

Last edited:
NOT letting these crtitters run free
had a little experience with them in Aus mid 90s
super glad theyre not plauge proportions in supposed 3rd world countries
not wealthy,often unygenic,plenty of water etc etc

Opinion | Cases of tick-borne disease are on the rise in the U.S., thanks to new, invasive tick species,

Ticks Carry More Than Just Lyme Disease

BY Jerome Goddard

Opinion | Cases of tick-borne disease are on the rise in the U.S., thanks to new, invasive tick species, newly discovered pathogens, and expanded tick habitat ranges. Lyme disease receives the bulk of the attention, but ticks can also cause spotted fever, ehrlichiosis, and other serious viral and bacterial diseases. Read on »

haha
well thats one for the books huh

Weaponized ticks?

Considering the U.S.'s history of biological warfare, maybe this theory isn't as crazy as it sounds.

Some believe that the Lyme-ridden ticks on the East Coast of the U.S. are the product of government experiments in biological warfare. Under this theory, the ticks were released accidentally or on purpose, exposing millions to the extremely dangerous disease.

There's good cause to be skeptical, but the U.S. has a history of conducting biological warfare tests on its own civilians; maybe there's something to it?

In this piece, Big Think's Matt Davis delves into the arguments which propose that the rise in Lyme disease in recent times is entirely the fault of the U.S. government, the product of an experiment in biological warfare gone horribly awry.

Did the U.S. weaponize ticks?

1a-768x486.jpg

The helmeted hornbill is one of Southeast Asia’s most distinctive birds, with a large ivory-like casque that’s used by males for jousting. Dubbed “red ivory,” the scarlet-tinged casques are highly valued in East Asia for use as ornamental carvings. Image by Yokyok Hadiprakarsa/IHCS.

Indonesian officials foil attempt to smuggle hornbill casques to Hong Kong

Indonesian officials foil attempt to smuggle hornbill casques to Hong Kong

\
‘Let us trade’: Debate over ivory sales rages ahead of CITES summit
by Busani Bafana on 11 July 2019

• Botswana, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe want to sell off their ivory stocks to raise money for conservation.
  • Growing human and elephant populations in these southern African countries have provoked increased human-wildlife conflict, and the governments see legal ivory sales as a way to generate revenue for conservation and development funding.
  • Other countries, most notably Kenya, oppose the proposal, on the grounds that previous legal sales stimulated demand for ivory and coincided with a sharp increase in poaching.
VICTORIA FALLS, Zimbabwe — A decade ago, what was supposed to be a one-off sale of 102 tonnes of ivory from southern African states raised $15 million for conservation and community development. But that sale coincided with a massive increase in levels of poaching across Africa. Now, Botswana, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe — which host 60 percent of Africa’s remaining elephants between them — have tabled a proposal for a further sale of ivory stocks and a resumption in the trade of elephant hunting trophies.

Speaking to media on June 27 at the Wildlife Economy Summit held in Victoria Falls, President Emerson Mnangagwa of Zimbabwe laid out the basic argument: he said the sale of ivory would raise $600 million, Zimbabwe’s share of which would go toward strengthening management of the country’s 11 national parks and conservancies.

Zimbabwe is battling a severe economic crisis, and Mnangagwa told journalists the money would mean improved surveillance for the country’s protected areas.

“What is wrong if we use that ivory or those horns to collect revenue and improve the maintenance of national parks [and the] lives of the communities around them?” Mnangagwa said.

But another group of countries, prominently including Kenya, has submitted a counter-proposal to tighten restrictions on trade in elephant parts.

“Kenya has chosen not to benefit from its own natural resources given by God,” Mnangagwa said, “but we are saying we would want to benefit. Whether you like it or not an elephant someday will die and [its] tusks will fall off and when you see them, you burn them. We are saying let us trade.”

Ivory-Burn-Kenya-30-April-2016-c_Roz-Reeve-CROP.jpg.png

April 2016: Tusks ready for destruction in Kenya. Photo: Roz Reeve

south_africa_kruger_0933-768x451.jpg

African elephants in Kruger National Park, South Africa. Photo: Rhett A. Butler.

‘Let us trade’: Debate over ivory sales rages ahead of CITES summit

Apollo
lived thru it
fascinated at the time
all respect to those who genuinely participated

but

sceptical me,now
so much lies deciet utter bullshit and ridiculous competitivness has surfaced during and especially after
i am and remain doubtful

the mere fact theres never been a return journey,and that would have happened just to prove to us that it happened

well
-said my bit

keep in mind
no one wants to believe theres doubt in anything

2 butterflies that found each other
after 10 yeaers plus FFS ha

pork chop and peaches
yesterdays

brisket and cabbage
viz slow cooker
wi potatoe/kumara/sweet potatoe/fry bread/dumpling
todays,change from a Sunday roast