Richard Armitage

Richard about being gay
Richard came out as gay to his family when he was 19 but not publicly until a few years ago, saying he was worried ‘if I said the wrong thing or revealed too much, it could all come crashing down and my parents wouldn’t be proud of me any more’.

You can’t always be in charge of your body when someone touches it. You can’t switch it off
He’s still uncomfortable discussing his private life, but says he and his partner of five years have become friendly with Charlie and her husband.

When I ask if he was worried his sexuality might stop casting directors choosing him for certain roles he shrugs. He’s not sure, but he believes acting means always putting yourself in the skin of someone else.

‘Attraction is attraction and I know this is asked a lot more of straight actors playing gay characters – what’s it like to kiss a man? The answer is it’s just like kissing a woman,’ he says.

‘It’s the same feeling; a pair of lips. And because you’re kissing a stranger you’re trying to engage with them and create chemistry, but at the same time you’re holding them at a distance.’