Social Attitudes towards Hairy Guys

ActionBuddy

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
No Response
... I would look stupid with a shaved crotch because I'm hairy all over. I have seen pictures of guys like that who shaved their bush and just had a weird bald spot in the middle of their body...

Agreed. I have commented many times in these Forums, that a man with a hairy chest, torso, and thighs, who shaves-off his natural, sexy pubic hair, "looks like he has just been prepped to go in for hernia surgery or an appendectomy".

A/B

Rafael Figueroa

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
That's stupid, and it's the same as the obsession with pearly white teeth and zero body odor: Manufacturers convinced the general public that there was something wrong with their bodies and needed to buy products to "fix" them.

I would look stupid with a shaved crotch because I'm hairy all over. I have seen pictures of guys like that who shaved their bush and just had a weird bald spot in the middle of their body. I also have a skin condition that causes me a very uncomfortable and unsightly rash when I shave, which is half the reason a keep a beard.

Fortunately for me, I've never met a guy who didn't like my natural body, and my local nude beach isn't really a place to socialize with strangers, just to hang out and have a good time. It's the kind of nude beach where everyone is welcome; I've seen people bring their kids there, so it's hardly a place to look for sex. I've walked that place completely naked without so much as a funny look.
Reminded me of this

Attachments

bryceab

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I've always found chest hair to be cool/ sexy on men, to the extent that I really wanted hairy pecs myself- more so than big muscles or a big cock- eventually they sprouted but that was one train that was a long time coming!

When I first started swimming seriously (C2015) I noticed that I was the hairiest guy there on my first pool visit. This was prob because it was a college pool so there were swim teams using it and the average age would have been about 20. It was cool to be the hairy dude, it made me feel just that bit more alpha, but also disconcerting; I think humans like to have some of their own kind to identify with. Over the years I noticed how chest hair seemed to become more common at that pool. I stopped swimming in lockdown and have yet to go back there.

Shoulder hair I'm less keen on, although I did once have a hot session with a hairy shouldered leather man and that was horny.

I'm not keen on male back hair EXCEPT for a clump at the base of the spine. I have a bit there and am quite proud of it; photo isn't too good,
full
I've seen this hair referred to as a "Devil's tail" which is quite cool and I think it can look hot on men.
This is an instant boner for me! I've heard it called a "Welcome mat"

Robert Dole

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm not especially hairy except on my shoulders and between my legs, go figure.
I'd never thought anything of it until I trimmed it, and pantyboy objected next time he was in the vicinity. I took this as a cue to fuck him much harder, and he not only apologised but thanked me for the punishment, could I fuck him rough again please?

Aety

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
OP is 100% on point with the body shaming thing. I've said often enough that the only people you can still body shame are men with hairy backs.

I've always kind of liked my chest hair, but I hate the hair on my back and shoulders. I've had it since I was 17 or 18 and I was extremely self conscious about it. People staring at the beach, swimming pool etc made it so I just stopped swimming and started a t shirt while at the beach.

The main issue is that you can't really efficiently shave your own back. I trim my entire body now and my wife does the back. She doesn't mind the hair at all and I'm far less self conscious about it in public than I was 15 years ago. But man, it's hot in the summer and it's a bitch to dry yourself off after a shower in the winter. Not to mention letting your towels dry.

HairyAFBro

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
OP is 100% on point with the body shaming thing. I've said often enough that the only people you can still body shame are men with hairy backs.
But man, it's hot in the summer and it's a bitch to dry yourself off after a shower in the winter. Not to mention letting your towels dry.
Yea gotta agree, I definitely feel the heat in the summer - like my chest feels hotter from the insulation. And it takes longer for us to dry off, so true. One of the things hairy guys have to deal with.

Reactions: gingerr

FrankieGuile

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
A few weeks ago, in the “Ask a Woman” forum, a thread was started by a guy who recounted incidents when a woman/girlfriend rejected sex because he had a hairy back. The advice given was that confidence was the key to overcoming this.

This thread is about the SOCIAL (not sexual) aspects of being hairy and I’m posting this in both the “Ask a Woman” and “Ask a Man” forums to gauge opinion.

Decades ago, while having a hairy back and shoulders, while a bit unusual, were nevertheless seen from time to time (guys in their gardens, at the swimming pool or on the beach). Furthermore, they were not really made to feel self-conscious about it. Fast forward to modern times and there seems to be a substantial tide against hairy guys at the social level. It has got to the point that hairy guys have all but disappeared from public view.

In this age against body-shaming, hairy backs are the one area that seem to be exempt from this and that many people have no hesitation in being rude about. The implication is that guys who are much hairier than average are brutal, apelike, ugly, dirty, smelly and “do not care” about their appearance. I have been likened to a gorilla on more than one occasion.

I’m a member of British Naturism, and on the forums on their website so many would parrot the “just be yourself” line, but it is never advice they follow themselves, being depilated to the hilt, saying how clean being hair-free is.

I can either conform to this mentality and wax, shave or just keep covered, or (as I’m inclined to do) be defiant and not hide it away. After all, its only hair and also a perfectly normal and natural part of the way I’m made. However, am I violating some unwritten rule that by going shirtless or in a vest (US – tank top), that I’m being perhaps indecent whereas a smooth guy would get away with it.

The attached pics (downloaded from Flickr) show a guy showing impressive fur in public. From the context, he is (or was) a groundsman in the Central Cemetery in Vienna. This cemetery, which is rather larger than the Principality of Monaco would be no doubt attract many tourists owing to the famous people buried in the cemetery – notably classical composers such as Beethoven and Schubert. It is impressive that this guy seems completely at ease in his hirsuteness being on show to all. Also, he does not look brutal or bearish and nobody would suspect such body hair if he was wearing a suit.

It would be great if more hairy guys would have the same nonchalance about his fur and that others who post to internet forums and make personal comments be less weird about it.

Thoughts, please.
Thoughts? Well, you appear to be asking people to either deny their preferences for the sake of your sensibilities or keep their preferences to themselves as closeted body-shamers. Socially-speaking, people can speak and choose as they please, within the boundaries of the law. They will be judged poorly if their words are rude or cruel and their choices contrary to social norms. I'm don't think someone achieves loftier enlightenment just because they voice opinions or declare preferences consistent with other people's notions of acceptable tolerances.

Andrej_u

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I've been both hairy and shaved, and I've seen that I have overwhelmingly more success with guys if I keep my chest and belly hairy. Same goes for the legs.
In terms of ass it's 50/50, I get told I should shave when I have hair, and that I should grow my hair when I shave. Pubic hair: some guys wish I trimmed a bit, some prefer the full bush. Almost no one prefers no pubic hair. Armpits definitely trimmed or shaved, I get the idea that people prefer not to see the full bush when I wear a tank top. I do not have hair on my back and shoulders.

For context: I'm from Italy, where most men are quite hairy, and I am a top. Things would probably be different if I were a bottom, maybe? I don't know. I do not have much success with women, so I can't really compare.
Thoughts? Well, you appear to be asking people to either deny their preferences for the sake of your sensibilities or keep their preferences to themselves as closeted body-shamers. Socially-speaking, people can speak and choose as they please, within the boundaries of the law. They will be judged poorly if their words are rude or cruel and their choices contrary to social norms. I'm don't think someone achieves loftier enlightenment just because they voice opinions or declare preferences consistent with other people's notions of acceptable tolerances.
Everyone is free to decide who to talk to and who to avoid, sure. I agree. And everyone is entitled to their opinion, this is also true.
My opinion is that it is extremely shallow and stupid to choose not to talk to someone, only because their back is hairy. A person who does that is a moron. An idiot, a free one of course.

Reactions: Topher the Gopher

HairyAFBro

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Thoughts? Well, you appear to be asking people to either deny their preferences for the sake of your sensibilities or keep their preferences to themselves as closeted body-shamers.
That's not what OP is asking. No one is saying people don't or shouldn't have personal preferences for hairy or smooth. What OP and lots of us don't like is when personal preference becomes shaming or name-calling.

FrankieGuile

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
That's not what OP is asking. No one is saying people don't or shouldn't have personal preferences for hairy or smooth. What OP and lots of us don't like is when personal preference becomes shaming or name-calling.
I appreciate your clarification but I'm not quite sure the point was a mere appeal to resist shaming or name-calling when a hirsute person runs counter to one's preference. The statement, "it would be great if more hairy guys would have the same nonchalance about his fur" is an expression of hope that some people would deny their personal preference to be more clean-shaven. But, perhaps I'm splitting hairs -- a wiry, tangled mass of hairs in this case. To the first point regarding shaming or name-calling, I suppose one can find a better class of people with whom to associate who do not engage in personal denigration.

HairyAFBro

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
The statement, "it would be great if more hairy guys would have the same nonchalance about his fur" is an expression of hope that some people would deny their personal preference to be more clean-shaven.
Hmm. I think what OP meant was that a man shouldn't feel pressured by others to shave off chest/back hair, and that hairy guys should just wear their fur confidently. I don't think OP is saying men should deny their personal preferences about their own bodies.

FrankieGuile

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Hmm. I think what OP meant was that a man shouldn't feel pressured by others to shave off chest/back hair, and that hairy guys should just wear their fur confidently. I don't think OP is saying men should deny their personal preferences about their own bodies.
In that case, you and the OP presume too much. Who said men felt pressured by others to shave off their chest or back hair? Maybe you do and maybe the OP does, but that hardly means all men who shave feel "pressured" to do so. The supposition that men who shave feel pressured is a denial of a personal preference for those men who want to be less hirsute. The implication that men who shave their body hair lack confidence to "wear their fur" is a breathtaking assumption designed to denigrate those men.

HairyAFBro

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
I suggest you reread the first post in this thread. It's all about hairy guys being pressured. I don't know how else to explain it to you.

FrankieGuile

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I suggest you reread the first post in this thread. It's all about hairy guys being pressured. I don't know how else to explain it to you.
I dispute the notion that "hairy guys" are pressured and stand by my posts. As I suggested, you might feel pressured and the OP might feel pressured but that's more a reflection on you than on others and hardly means all such men feel pressured. It is no indication of "being pressured" that some "hairy guys" might shave their body hair and making such an assumption denies their preference for a different look, which clearly is not your preference.

Andrej_u

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
It would be great if more hairy guys would have the same nonchalance about his fur and that others who post to internet forums and make personal comments be less weird about it.

Thoughts, please.

I dispute the notion that "hairy guys" are pressured and stand by my posts. As I suggested, you might feel pressured and the OP might feel pressured but that's more a reflection on you than on others and hardly means all such men feel pressured. It is no indication of "being pressured" that some "hairy guys" might shave their body hair and making such an assumption denies their preference for a different look, which clearly is not your preference.
"More" doesn't mean "all". The OP was clear.
I rest my case.

FrankieGuile

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
"More" doesn't mean "all". The OP was clear.
I rest my case.
That qualifier does nothing to change my point. I understand you wish more hairy guys remained hairy but those hairy guys who shave may do so because they want to do so and not because they feel pressured. Why is a behavior counter to your preference not a choice but characterized as an unwelcome societal mandate?