The Vintage Film Star Thread

Banjo on My Knee, 1936. Comedy starring Barbara Stanwyck, Joel McCrea, Walter Brennan, Buddy Ebsen, Helen Westley, Walter Catlett, Tony Martin, Katherine DeMille, and Victor Kilian. Directed by John Cromwell.

Banjo on My Knee, 1936.jpg

For the Old Hollywood Impaired...(Alex obviously not included), Ramon Navarro was killed by two dumb hustlers who were brothers. Ramon often employed hustlers, these came in search of the 5 grand he allegedly kept stashed in his house.

He was killed by asphyxiation with a lead art deco dildo cast from Rudolph Valentino's cock.

I remember reading that in Kenneth Anger's book 'Hollywood Babylon'. Sad end, but like a plot line from a movie.

Thanks for that. I saw Tab Hunter's autobiography at the bookstore and might read it if he dishes on who he slept with.

I had a movie book when I was a kid that had the Clint Walker axe photo. You can imagine what I did with that.

I saw Tab Hunter interviewed in a TV biog of Gwen Verdon with whom he appeared in Damn Yankees (1958). He looked amazing in the movie but also still a VERY handsome man in old age, and very charming.

Reactions: brotherfrancis
For the Old Hollywood Impaired...(Alex obviously not included), Ramon Navarro was killed by two dumb hustlers who were brothers. Ramon often employed hustlers, these came in search of the 5 grand he allegedly kept stashed in his house.

He was killed by asphyxiation with a lead art deco dildo cast from Rudolph Valentino's cock.
I remember reading that in Kenneth Anger's book 'Hollywood Babylon'. Sad end, but like a plot line from a movie.

Probably mentioned already up-thread, the story of Novarro being choked to death on the dildo modeled after Valentino's cock was created by Kenneth Anger for his book Hollywood Babylon, who felt the need to add lurid "details" to an already horrific death. No one within Novarros's circle ever mentioned the object, it was never found among his estate and, most importantly, the coroner mentioned among contributable factors of Novarro's death to be choking on massive amounts of his own blood without any mention of blunt force trauma, etc to his throat. In short, a fabricated story which, over the time, became urban legend and accepted as "fact".