Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
From 1959, a pop hit by another Italian singer that you probably didn't know is Italian:

Freddie Cannon (Frederick Anthony Picariello Jr.) - Way Down Yonder In New Orleans

Reactions: dreamer20

hzs3fg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
That's my decade. I hate to age myself. My personal opinion: Barry Manilow couldn't hold Bing's golf tee.

Lol. No disrespect toward Bing intended; I really like the man and his music. It is said, BTW, that he was the first to master singing using microphone and amplified speakers.

Nevertheless, I think the Bette Midler/Barry Manilow arrangement is, overall, a better recording than the Bing/Rosemary one I linked to above. Also, it seems only fair to point out that, while Bing Crosby was a great singer, Barry Manilow has (some would say "at best") a "fair" voice, but he does a great live show and is a damned good songwriter, composer, and arranger. If you have an hour to kill, I would suggest listening to the entire "Here At The Mayflower" album, with the understanding that the entire album is virtually 100% Manilow - words, arrangements, and music (with the exception of some solos by Dave Koz, all the music/every "instrument" was created by Manilow on his piano or a synthesizer).

(From Bette Midler Sings the Rosemary Clooney Songbook, produced by Barry Manilow)

Reactions: Lookinginconshy