Do You Think There’s Such Thing As “masc Privilege” Or “straight-passing Privilege”?

D

deleted7298491

Dear fellow gays,

I’m gay and I have a naturally somewhat high-pitched, effeminate voice. I hate my voice. Most people can tell I’m gay as soon as I open my mouth. I could never convincingly stay in the closet even if I wanted to. I could never be a public figure and not have most people know that I’m gay. That’s not an option for me and other fem gays. People have guessed that I’m gay since I was in middle and high school.

Masculine, straight-passing gays, on the other hand, have the option of whether they want to disclose their sexuality. They can stay in the closet during certain situations in which it’s beneficial (such as at a job or among straight strangers). Isn’t this a privilege?

I can think of quite a few occasions where it would have been beneficial to me if I had been able to pass for straight. On a couple of those occasions, I probably wouldn’t have been called a f*ggot or a homo by strangers.

Unfortunately, many masc, straight-passing gay men aren’t willing to acknowledge their privilege in comparison to fem gay men, in my experience. And that’s not even delving into how many masc gays discriminate against fem gays, which is another topic entirely. Do masc gay men not realize their privilege? Or are they just unwilling to acknowledge it?
There is no such thing as privilege. Only hard work. Y’all need to stop blaming other people for your failure.

Reactions: baddestgirlie5

CockMySuck

Legendary Member
Media
Dear fellow gays,

I’m gay and I have a naturally somewhat high-pitched, effeminate voice. I hate my voice. Most people can tell I’m gay as soon as I open my mouth. I could never convincingly stay in the closet even if I wanted to. I could never be a public figure and not have most people know that I’m gay. That’s not an option for me and other fem gays. People have guessed that I’m gay since I was in middle and high school.

Masculine, straight-passing gays, on the other hand, have the option of whether they want to disclose their sexuality. They can stay in the closet during certain situations in which it’s beneficial (such as at a job or among straight strangers). Isn’t this a privilege?

I can think of quite a few occasions where it would have been beneficial to me if I had been able to pass for straight. On a couple of those occasions, I probably wouldn’t have been called a f*ggot or a homo by strangers.

Unfortunately, many masc, straight-passing gay men aren’t willing to acknowledge their privilege in comparison to fem gay men, in my experience. And that’s not even delving into how many masc gays discriminate against fem gays, which is another topic entirely. Do masc gay men not realize their privilege? Or are they just unwilling to acknowledge it?

Short answer to your question: Yes, absolutely, there is masc privilege and straight passing privilege! The privilege for me and other men who can pass as straight is being treated as a straight man. While a lot of underrepresented groups have started to call our straight men for being trash, the reality is that our systems in society cater to men and straight men in particular. People perceived as straight receive preferential treatment. The default in our society is seen as straight. Those who are not seen as straight are often subject to being disowned or, in some places, being beaten, murdered, or thrown in prison for not being straight. Anyone who says straight men (and men perceived as straight) don't have privilege is, frankly, a doofus. If a straight or straight-presenting man can tell me a single place where people are beaten, murdered, and imprisoned for being straight, maybe I'll change my mind...

CockMySuck

Legendary Member
Media
There is no such thing as privilege. Only hard work. Y’all need to stop blaming other people for your failure.
Read a book.

Short answer to your question: Yes, absolutely, there is masc privilege and straight passing privilege! The privilege for me and other men who can pass as straight is being treated as a straight man. While a lot of underrepresented groups have started to call our straight men for being trash, the reality is that our systems in society cater to men and straight men in particular. People perceived as straight receive preferential treatment. The default in our society is seen as straight. Those who are not seen as straight are often subject to being disowned or, in some places, being beaten, murdered, or thrown in prison for not being straight. Anyone who says straight men (and men perceived as straight) don't have privilege is, frankly, a doofus. If a straight or straight-presenting man can tell me a single place where people are beaten, murdered, and imprisoned for being straight, maybe I'll change my mind...

Reactions: BussyPhilipps