Drop In Gym Attendance Due To Coronavirus

longstroke7

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Until there is a steep decline in cases, I'm not going into a gym. I know 4 people who have caught the virus and 1 of them passed away from it and another is still in the hospital after two weeks on oxygen. It's not worth the risk

If I can get a bench and bar/weights for bench pressing and deadlifts, I should be able to resume workouts. I'll probably get a curl bar for biceps and a dip/pull up station to work my triceps and back.

fordonfire

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Agreed. I have no motivation to workout at home.
same here, i was never that crazy about going to the gym maybe 2.5 times per week on average but i can't workout at home...part of the motivation just comes from doing it in public....i never thought i'd say i miss the gym

Reactions: GoingOnABoeing

My gym is closed. I hope it reopens soon.
I will like the opportunities for a more complete workout than I can do at home.
It may take a while to get used to exercising with clothes on, however.

Reactions: neutrno
D

deleted471226

I spoke with the owner of the gym I attend in Los Angeles. He said once the shelter in place is lifted, they are going to limit the number of people who can workout in the gym for social distancing reasons. Members will have to make an appointment to workout and it would be for either a 1- 2hr block of time. Members will check in and now check out. Designated areas in the locker room for changing clothes only and no one can store items in the lockers. Showers/saunas and steam room use has not been determined. Come dressed to workout already or be prepared to change clothes in the change area, then walk back to your car to put your bag/clothes up. Also, you wont be able to leave things around on benches, counter tops like before...water bottles, car keys, towels, etc.

Expect tons of signs of Do's and Don'ts - "don't use this bathroom, for hand-washing only", "don't leave your bag here, take it back to the car', "no more than 3 people here", etc. Workout gloves will be required. He expects to loose 20-30% of his members as a result...maybe more.

neutrno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I will like the opportunities for a more complete workout than I can do at home.
It may take a while to get used to exercising with clothes on, however.
True! Only sports bra at home, when necessary.

I miss most the zumba/step/spinning lessons and the machine that helps with pull ups. The home alternative isn't as nice.

Motion-of-the-Ocean

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I miss the gym it having been closed in the past two months now of course. It is slated to open in our state's "phase 2" which despite us just going into "phase 1", will still likely be soon with the accelerated pace our sycophant governor is opening things up. However even at the predicted 75% percent capacity (which I don't expect them to adhere to), I likely won't be going back till I feel it's safe; at least another month at minimum. This is doubly unfortunate not only because I've been jonesing so much to get back to my routine and my body has gone to pot, but they more than likely will start taking out dues once it re-opens and not make exceptions. But if there's anyway this shit will blow back up again I feel it will be in a gym, especially given so many people weren't exactly practicing good hygiene and wiping down the goddamn machines when they were done with them even before all of this.

Reactions: longstroke7

MrAnonymousGuy

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Until there is a steep decline in cases, I'm not going into a gym. I know 4 people who have caught the virus and 1 of them passed away from it and another is still in the hospital after two weeks on oxygen. It's not worth the risk

If I can get a bench and bar/weights for bench pressing and deadlifts, I should be able to resume workouts. I'll probably get a curl bar for biceps and a dip/pull up station to work my triceps and back.

I'm seeing so many "gym junkies" on my instagram go back. I can't believe some people are so ignorant to go back so soon.

longstroke7

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm seeing so many "gym junkies" on my instagram go back. I can't believe some people are so ignorant to go back so soon.

When I think about how the gym was prior to shut down, it was ripe for germ spreading. You can clean equipment all day it won't matter because droplets are all over the place especially when you factor in the gym's ventilation system spreading stuff around. No thanks

D

deleted15807

When I think about how the gym was prior to shut down, it was ripe for germ spreading. You can clean equipment all day it won't matter because droplets are all over the place especially when you factor in the gym's ventilation system spreading stuff around. No thanks

I haven’t seen any evidence it spreads via ventilation. I would be very interested in seeing that data.

longstroke7

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I haven’t seen any evidence it spreads via ventilation. I would be very interested in seeing that data.

Here's a good article regarding droplets in the air and air conditioning

Can Air Conditioning Spread COVID-19? Here's How Risky It Can Be

If one person in the gym is an asymptomatic carrier and his or her droplets is getting carried by the air flowing through the gym i would be very concerned about transmission.

Each to his own, but I'm building in at home set up. As long as I can bench, deadlift, curl, and pull up I will be fine.

Reactions: 51arledge
D

deleted15807

Here's a good article regarding droplets in the air and air conditioning

Can Air Conditioning Spread COVID-19? Here's How Risky It Can Be

If one person in the gym is an asymptomatic carrier and his or her droplets is getting carried by the air flowing through the gym i would be very concerned about transmission.

Each to his own, but I'm building in at home set up. As long as I can bench, deadlift, curl, and pull up I will be fine.

That article mentions four people at a table in front of an a/c unit that later tested positive. That may be a basis for more research but not enough for an official position. It seems just as likely they shared a salt shaker or just by not being 6 ft apart.

Black light experiment video from Japan shows how quickly a virus like Covid-19 can spread at a restaurant - CNN

I will take the recommended and required precautions but I have no plans to become Howard Hughes. Everyone has their own tolerance for risk.

Last edited by a moderator:

SkiCop

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My Gym is still closed and i am in no rush to go back. I do miss it but not enough to chance getting sick. I have an old SoloFlex at home which i dusted off and re-set up. i don't like it but it is something. that plus an hour of yoga every day and i'm ok for now, at least till we know what is what......

D

deleted15807

He expects to loose 20-30% of his members as a result...maybe more.

For many businesses the business model will cease to work with social distancing rules. Expect many many to vanish. Until a vaccine is found to be safe, effective and readily available to all we will not return to normal for quite a while.

Reactions: longstroke7
D

deleted471226

For many businesses the business model will cease to work with social distancing rules. Expect many many to vanish. Until a vaccine is found to be safe, effective and readily available to all we will not return to normal for quite a while.

Exactly!