Eminem

What is he supposed to be satirizing exactly?
Umm take a look at his music videos and the lyrics. He makes fun of Hollywood, politics, current events and even himself.

If you don't know this, you're in the wrong topic.

Reactions: Sanad
Umm take a look at his music videos and the lyrics. He makes fun of Hollywood, politics, current events and even himself.

If you don't know this, you're in the wrong topic.

Umm, my question was referring specifically to the rather vicious homophobic lyrics that he’s spewed for years. So I repeat, what exactly is he “satirizing” with lyrics like this:

“My words are like a dagger with a jagged edge
That’ll stab you in the head,
Whether you’re a fag or lez
Pants or dress?
Hate fags?
The answers ‘yes’ “

It’s not like Eminem isn’t capable of self censorship either. The n-word has been noticeably absent from his work because he knows as a white rapper that he would never get away with it. It’s very telling which groups he has been quite comfortable slurring.

Umm, my question was referring specifically to the rather vicious homophobic lyrics that he’s spewed for years. So I repeat, what exactly is he “satirizing” with lyrics like this:

“My words are like a dagger with a jagged edge
That’ll stab you in the head,
Whether you’re a fag or lez
Pants or dress?
Hate fags?
The answers ‘yes’ “

It’s not like Eminem isn’t capable of self censorship either. The n-word has been noticeably absent from his work because he knows as a white rapper that he would never get away with it. It’s very telling which groups he has been quite comfortable slurring.

Rather than selecting a phrase without context, read the entire contents of the song… which begins with:

“A lot of people ask me stupid fuckin' questions
A lot of people think that what I say on a record
Or what I talk about on a record
That I actually do in real life or that I believe in it”

Then he goes on, in the song, to satirize all the things that people assume about him because they believe the shock content of his songs to be literal. The song is literally the definition of satire.

Rather than selecting a phrase without context, read the entire contents of the song… which begins with:

“A lot of people ask me stupid fuckin' questions
A lot of people think that what I say on a record
Or what I talk about on a record
That I actually do in real life or that I believe in it”

Then he goes on, in the song, to satirize all the things that people assume about him because they believe the shock content of his songs to be literal. The song is literally the definition of satire.

Well I’ll give you your little “gotcha” moment, because admittedly I’ve never heard the song in it’s entirety, but if it’s satire I think it’s bad satire-lazy and careless.

Obviously there has been a long to and fro on this dating back to the very beginning of his career. The example I used is hardly an isolated one. If you want to say that it’s all brilliant satire, and not problematic in the least, well then, you’re entitled to your opinion. We’ve all got one.

Well my opinion is that if Eminem is playing a “character” in his music, it’s a tired and boring one. He needs new material. And I stand by my original comment that he uses gay slurs because he knows he can mostly get away with it. That doesn’t make him a provocateur. It makes him a panderer.

Reactions: WrikPrada
Well I’ll give you your little “gotcha” moment, because admittedly I’ve never heard the song in it’s entirety, but if it’s satire I think it’s bad satire-lazy and careless.

Obviously there has been a long to and fro on this dating back to the very beginning of his career. The example I used is hardly an isolated one. If you want to say that it’s all brilliant satire, and not problematic in the least, well then, you’re entitled to your opinion. We’ve all got one.

Well my opinion is that if Eminem is playing a “character” in his music, it’s a tired and boring one. He needs new material. And I stand by my original comment that he uses gay slurs because he knows he can mostly get away with it. That doesn’t make him a provocateur. It makes him a panderer.
And I’m going to say your whole Karen thing is tired and boring. It’s pretty simple, don’t like him don’t listen to him but just as the previous person said picking out a random verse or lyric to try and prove your point doesn’t work.

Fuck off Karen. NO ONE CARES