This Kit coming out as bi thing is interesting. Its 2022. Why is he so triggered he has to come out and say he is bi. Clearly there is deep internalized homophobia issues. He was on a gay show. His sexuality was going to follow him. If he felt uncomfortable with the bi label he should have never done a gay show. I hope this is a lesson for young queer actors to not do shows if they dont want to be 'forced' out.

Also if it hurt him to say bi, why didnt he remain quiet ?

There is something with straight presenting guys who are on the queer spectrum wanting to remain in the closet.

I think you have to think about the fact that the kid is only 18. And people projected all kind of motivations onto him as a result of a role he was playing. THAT is why it's harmful. It's the way people assumed his unwillingness to share something personal or something he hadn't quite figured out meant that he was doing something malicious by taking the role. Or that being photographed holding a woman's hand is somehow a political statement when it was a candid someone else took (e.g. what if he had been holding a man's hand before that image was captured or after? we don't know!)

what's complicated here is that at the core of LGBTQ folks' concern is the lack of opportunity for LGBTQ actors to play a variety of lead roles in big films. And so if a straight actor is in a big part and is insufficiently - to the mind of audiences - supportive of the community, then it can feel like that opportunity was wasted on someone. I get that impulse, but there is no way for us as viewers to accurately ascertain when that is happening except in instances where a straight actor is using gay slurs.

Personally, I think we should err on the side of grace until we are shown otherwise AND we should be much more empathetic to the coming out process that individuals take. Everyone isn't coming out early even though it's easier than it was say 40 years ago.

Again - Kit is 18. Folks put SO much on him unnecessarily.

Some of the awful users on this site are the exact reason why stuff like this happens. I feel so bad for him…people are awful. :(
When you play a character, it is expected you get questions comparing yourself to them. Don't put yourself in the public eye, it you don't want it. Wouldn't be an issue if out actors were chosen to begin with.

The thing is coming out is a deeply personal experience that everyone should do in their own terms. Kit was pressured and harrassed for months to do it. That's the problem.
But we automatically assume actors -even young ones -are straight unless they come out. Maybe it's time we assume they are gay or bi.

But we automatically assume actors -even young ones -are straight unless they come out. Maybe it's time we assume they are gay or bi.
Maybe it's best we don't give much thought to the sexualities of people we don't know

stage actor Stephen Mark Lukas

Stephen Mark Lukas 003.jpg

Stephen Mark Lukas 03.jpg

168KoSE.jpg

dsG2LUN.jpg

Attachments