Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
So anyone here can tell me what pH soil should be for growing Carnations? Have sandy/loam soil. North east aspect 10 to 12 degree slope and bore water which I have had tested at 6.3 pH...yet high in phosphorus.

I also am going to grow native flowering plants to South East Queensland............Yibbity..yibby..

Let me say this......What is the first thing a person does when given a bouquet of flowers...or you buy them? Hold them close to scent them.....................and we are continually let down because there is no scent these days.

I just want to grow plants with scent.......I remember when flowers had it....flowers are 50% colour...and 50% scent.....it's a joy half fulfilled if a flower does not carry the scent of memory.

Your PH is close to perfect.. 6.6-7.8 should be ideal for carnations.

Reactions: seventiesdemon

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I will have all the pot-heads at my house, don't worry. We'll leave you alone ;)

Don't know why but this image came into me head.....had to search for it
johon-carter.jpg

Reactions: Tight_N_Juicy

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
View attachment 4278701
I found a pitcher plant!!!

It's not in the greatest health, but let's see if I can get it happy again...

Are you going to feed the pitcher plant live insects? If it were my plant, I'd name it Molly.
Just curious. Do you grow any cannabis plants?

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
View attachment 4455111
This is a photo from one of my gardens. I also have some luck with house plants, but the outdoor gardens are my therapy and joy in the summer. I always hate to see the cold weather arrive in the fall.

What do you call the tall purple balls? I planted some three summers ago and they've reseeded themselves since. (but nearly all are coming up white). I can't remember what they're called.

Reactions: seventiesdemon

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
What do you call the tall purple balls? I planted some three summers ago and they've reseeded themselves since. (but nearly all are coming up white). I can't remember what they're called.
All white? I'd call it a racist little weed and pull it out.

You need more mineral in your soil. When seedlings a diluted mixture of Potassium Permanganate when small seedlings.

Ha Ha.............purple balls. Don't employ a gardener known as ...........

ohiorod

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I don't know the scientific name, but they are called cleomes. My selection are purple, dark purple, white, light pink and dark two toned pink. I have them in several gardens.

Reactions: twoton

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Are you going to feed the pitcher plant live insects? If it were my plant, I'd name it Molly.
Just curious. Do you grow any cannabis plants?

Part of the reason I got so excited to find it is that we have a bit of a bug problem in the house cuz our windows aren't very well sealed. I just make sure there's enough water in the pitchers and the bugs find their own way in.

Uh... PPL patient here!!! ;)

Reactions: MickeyLee

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I presume one of the Ps is for prescription. And I presume it has something to do with medical cannabis. But other than that, the PPL loses me.
Pennsylvania Power & Light?

Personal production license. :)

It means I can grow my own legally in the state.

I have been cold stratifying Leonuris cardiaca seeds in the freezer for the last 4 months and I finally got them planted out into flats in my greenhouse.
I did manage to find 3 seedlings at a rare herb nursery online and they set me back $45 plus express shipping.
I have them planted out in a prepared part of the garden with a hefty cage around them.

I also planted out into flats Spilanthes olercea seeds.
Very excited about this herb not only for its local anesthetic properties but its adaptogenic and antibacteria.

Vegetable gardens are looking well. It is the only time of the year we can grow European vegetables.
The wet season we switch to vegetables with a Asian/equatorial origin that can cope with the 100% humidity
100 degree C heat and the enormous pest pressure.
If I want organic vegetables I use fine mesh row covers or small draw string bags made of the same fabric for things like capsicums and cucumbers.
Some years even snake beans need netting/bagging to stop them being stung by banana spotting beetles.

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I have a seedling experiment going on at the moment.............I just can't seem to get rid of the bug to create stuff. Still build even though I don't really need to, even at 61 started a new biz in automated entryways.

But also I love flowers with perfume........which is sadly lacking in floral arrangements these days. What is the first thing a person does when presented with a bouquet of flowers? Yup............flowers look good these days, but the other 50% is scent...the perfume which takes you back to when you were young.

I've already got it lined up with the local fruit shop guys to place a few stems in buckets along with a stem of Kangaroo Paw or Rottnest Island Daisy...Aussie natives along side of Carnations....Not wrapped in Cellophane, just a rubber band. I think the scent of fresh flowers beside the checkout will be more of a draw than flowers with no perfume.

After all, we perfume ourselves better than nature intended us too...apparently....cept me....:) : )

Reactions: Tight_N_Juicy