Instrumental & vocal music

Beethoven, the world's greatest composer, with proof that he invented jazz 80 years before ragtime was was written. This is in his piano concerto no. 32.

I always thought that 'jazz' originally stood for 'energetic dance', in practice based on improvisation. It has got so many influences from various dance forms and cultural backgrounds that there must be more than 1000 'inventers' of jazz. ;)

I agree that this particular episode from Beethoven's 32nd sonata is fascinating (and maybe even more boogie-woogie than jazz), but many jazz cats might say that, to mention just one name, J.S. Bach had much more influence on jazz than any other (well-known) classical composer.

And Bach lived around a century earlier than the great Ludwig...

Some good ole stuff for Palm Sunday. ;)

The Hebrew children spread their clothes on the road and shouted, saying:
Happiness for the Son of David! Blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord!

Reactions: Nexolaris

Combined with the moving pictures of Season 3, Episode 8 of Twin Peaks, this piece of music made an ever bigger impression on me.

But still...

Reactions: Nexolaris

thirteenbyseven

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Not entirely sure, but could it be that this is the version of the Firebird suite instead of the complete ballet?

You very well may be correct. Remember that this was a subtle ambush of shoppers at Tampa's International Plaza. If they had played an expanded Berceuse and Finale, a portion of the unwashed masses would have been down by Dick's Sporting Goods by the time the music crescendoed into Stravinsky's magnificent final notes.

You very well may be correct. Remember that this was a subtle ambush of shoppers at Tampa's International Plaza. If they had played an expanded Berceuse and Finale, a portion of the unwashed masses would have been down by Dick's Sporting Goods by the time the music crescendoed into Stravinsky's magnificent final notes.

You may well be correct ;) with that assumption, but, who knows, some sensitive ;) shoppers might have been moved by that wonderful Berceuse. Apart from that, I agree that the Finale is more appealing to the 'masses'.
All in all, it's great music.
And it's a pity that the popularity of classical music seems to be declining more and more. But it won't stop me from listening and enjoying. :)