Is there really such a thing as bi-sexual?

I met a guy many years ago who identified as bisexual. I asked him to please explain to me what it's like to be bisexual to help me get a better understanding of it. Did he like men more than women or women more than men?

His response was that he didn't focus on the sexual orientation of the person he was attracted to but rather on the person themselves... personality, level of attractiveness and compatibility.

He added that once he started dating someone, they would be exclusive. He did not date both men and women at the same time meaning he did not switch on different days of the week.

Pretty much this. For myself, I find men, women, genderqueer, etc. can all be attractive. It's much more about the person, and when I find someone I click with, that's the deciding factor. Not their sex/genitalia, nor their gender identity are the deciding factors. Given my overall distaste towards humanity, it's a pretty equal degree of attractiveness across the board. To begin with, anyway.

Florida Boy

Sexy Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Let me firstly clarify by saying of course I believe a person can be attracted to more than one gender, and that gender alone is not always the deciding factor on who you feel attracted and connected to.

My question is, can bi-sexually truly be equal in terms of liking each gender exactly the same amount, or is there a natural inclination to sway more to one gender than the other?

As a straight woman who sees both the pros and cons of each male and female, I find it intriguing that someone could like them exactly 50/50 with no overall inclination for one over the other.

Note: I am talking an overall, not a case by case preference.

Interesting question. However, it will never be answered. One reason being one societal lever you can never obtain an objective measurement. May be better to discuss something were we may actually learn something.

bbtgm

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I must not really exist , because I'm bi myself. I love sex both with men and women, but am loyal to whomever I am seeing. And have ad many different partners of both sexes.

chrisjason

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
We are what we are. Does putting a label on it make any difference? Does dividing the label into percentages help us understand anything?

Both are really attempts to place one's self into society. To see how closely we fit a norm or society's defined set of acceptable behaviors. But, doing so misses very important facts - people change and society changes.

I am not the same person I was five years ago. And society is not the same as it was. As I've had the opportunity to live in other countries, I've learned they have societies that differ from the one I was born into.

Some may feel it important to assert their straightness and some may parade their gayness. I'd rather think it is a choice that I can make to any degree that I choose.

amazzzed2

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Very interesting input from everyone. I think that that there is also a distinction between people who are physically and/or emotionally attracted to one gender, and sexually attracted to another. I know that there are a lot of men who are very physically ( pretty face, breasts, etc) and emotionally attracted to women only, and consider themselves straight, but like having sex with men.
In general, I think that labels are ridiculous. Humans are far to complex,especially when it comes to sexuality.

umdoistressilvaquatro

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Very interesting input from everyone. I think that that there is also a distinction between people who are physically and/or emotionally attracted to one gender, and sexually attracted to another. I know that there are a lot of men who are very physically ( pretty face, breasts, etc) and emotionally attracted to women only, and consider themselves straight, but like having sex with men.
Did you know some people are proposing to sexual orientation to be divided into sexual attraction and romantic attraction, and give separate terms for each? Akin to homosexuality, bisexuality and heterosexuality, they have coined homoromantism, biromantism and heteroromantism.

Reactions: alcor972

Hatt_101

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
First I am not bi sexual but i have several friends that are, all whom are female classmates. one of them Is Pansexual but it still works for what is being asked,

Of course bisexuality exists (pan in the case of one of them). All bisexuality means is that you are attracted to both genders doesnt mean you have to be equally attrated to both or date an equal amount of both genders.

Of friends i know that are Bi, in the time that ive known them they have all only dated or are dating men but still identify themselves as bi because they are attracted to both men and women, they may of had relationships with women before i knew them as ive only known them each for about 3 years, but since ive known then they have all only dated guys and instead of saying they are straight women two still say they are bi while the other is pansexual

amazzzed2

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Did you know some people are proposing to sexual orientation to be divided into sexual attraction and romantic attraction, and give separate terms for each? Akin to homosexuality, bisexuality and heterosexuality, they have coined homoromantism, biromantism and heteroromantism.
No, I did not know that. Very interesting, thank you.
I'm getting quite an education on here!
A lot more interesting than school!

umdoistressilvaquatro

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
No, I did not know that. Very interesting, thank you.
I'm getting quite an education on here!
A lot more interesting than school!
It's very popular on tumblr, but it's not accepted by everyone, of course. The splitting of attraction actually have become one of the reasons some people hate tumblr. If you are interested, this post pretty much resumes the discussion: http://newrucas.tumblr.com/post/149184437026/pervert420-newrucas-pervert420
Tell what you concluded later

amazzzed2

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
It's very popular on tumblr, but it's not accepted by everyone, of course. The splitting of attraction actually have become one of the reasons some people hate tumblr. If you are interested, this post pretty much resumes the discussion: http://newrucas.tumblr.com/post/149184437026/pervert420-newrucas-pervert420
Tell what you concluded later
Thanks. I think that labels confuse the issue instead of clarifying things. People are very complex. You identify as 100% gay, which eliminates confusion.
For me, I have always been physically and emotionally very attracted to women. I have not been physically or emotionally attracted to men. However, I have to admit that I am very turned on by big cocks, and would like to experience that. But, I wouldn't want to kiss a man, and would not have romantic feelings for one.

umdoistressilvaquatro

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thanks. I think that labels confuse the issue instead of clarifying things. People are very complex. You identify as 100% gay, which eliminates confusion.
For me, I have always been physically and emotionally very attracted to women. I have not been physically or emotionally attracted to men. However, I have to admit that I am very turned on by big cocks, and would like to experience that. But, I wouldn't want to kiss a man, and would not have romantic feelings for one.
Did you felt identified with tumblr user newrucas?

First I am not bi sexual but i have several friends that are, all whom are female classmates. one of them Is Pansexual but it still works for what is being asked,

Of course bisexuality exists (pan in the case of one of them). All bisexuality means is that you are attracted to both genders doesnt mean you have to be equally attrated to both or date an equal amount of both genders.

Of friends i know that are Bi, in the time that ive known them they have all only dated or are dating men but still identify themselves as bi because they are attracted to both men and women, they may of had relationships with women before i knew them as ive only known them each for about 3 years, but since ive known then they have all only dated guys and instead of saying they are straight women two still say they are bi while the other is pansexual
How would you define the difference between bisexual and pansexual?

Hatt_101

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
How would you define the difference between bisexual and pansexual?
You'd have to ask them. But by definition pansexual is an attraction to anyone they feel emotionally connected to whether they are a man, woman, Trans male to female, female to male or whatever else there possible could be.

BIGBULL29

Worshipped Member
Media
State College (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
Pansexual
Hatt, If you're secure your in your own sexuality, why would you care in the first place, unless you're a human sexuality intellectual (doubt any are on here).

Do you have doubts you're bi or tri yourself? It's ok if you have a few gay dreams at night. The gay monster won't bite you. Nobody cares that you're the king of straightness - only you do. Why do you seek such validation for identifying as 100% straight?

Bisexual potential is a reality. Don't let that thought haunt you too much. And remember, don't end up in prison. There - you can no longer play the "100% "straight" card, unless you want it "straight" up the ass.

Hatt is so straight, but he ends up defending to the death his 100% heterosexuality on all the threads that pertain to being less-than-a-100% straight. What gives?

If you're doing it for intellectual reasons, that'd be different all together.

Last edited:
Reactions: amazzzed2