Random thoughts

not sillyimmediate action,admirable i think
take pollution into account

Siberian Wildfires Prompt Russia to Declare a State of Emergency
Temperatures that have been soaring with climate change combined with lightning and winds to burn vast areas of forest and send smoke hundreds of miles into cities.
BY HENRY FOY & NASTASSIA ASTRASHEUSKAYA, FINANCIAL TIMES
JUL 31, 2019
wildfire-volunteers-irkutsk-900_kirill-shipitsin-tass-via-getty.jpg

Volunteers fought a wildfire near a summer camp for children in Siberia in late May. With rising temperatures, wildfires have also broken out in Alaska and across the northern boreal forests this year. Credit: Kirill Shipitsin\TASS via Getty Images

ICN occasionally publishes Financial Times articles to bring you more international climate reporting.

Russia has declared a state of emergency in five Siberian regions after wildfires engulfed an area of forest almost the size of Belgium amid record high temperatures as a result of climate change.

Officials said 2.7 million hectares of forest (about 10,400 square miles) were ablaze on Tuesday as soaring temperatures, lightning storms and strong winds combined, sending smoke hundreds of miles to reach some of Russia's biggest regional cities.

The fires, which began earlier this month, and the Russian government's lacklustre response have raised concerns over Moscow's commitment to addressing climate change. The country relies heavily on the oil and gas industry and has a poor record of enforcing green initiatives.

Siberian Wildfires Prompt Russia to Declare a State of Emergency

LAq-wz0yGJIu6wnk6wjx6JPG8CNymOJ3PJ-eMFGbyQPyg2LG9dujET-yhMPyp65SYMSM1i3UUUPYcPdXlfijXJ3mlmoG1XxmAGxHXmu9gpFQbv7dYhqXpAwhrlDefgHkX73uaz5I8NN3D8dYmekiMKEd29MJIihtfr7bLuj2oQKKSzdxW-FKhTpIxN_h_0xEMsIY7LESkv4G3JzAokIMj5-ftr3ptl4=s0-d-e1-ft

As If Ticks Weren't Terrifying Enough, This Giant Bloodsucker Will Hunt You Down
By Mindy Weisberger, Senior Writer | July 30, 2019 04:43pm ET
  • MORE
    aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzEwNi82NzUvb3JpZ2luYWwvZ2lhbnQtdGljay1uZXRoZXJsYW5kcy0wMS5qcGc=
Ticks in the Hyalomma genus are nearly twice the size of sheep ticks (Ixodes ricinus).
Credit: Adam Cuerden
Giant, invasive ticks have been spotted in the Netherlands, and they do something that's frankly horrifying: They run after their hosts.

As If Ticks Weren't Terrifying Enough, This Giant Bloodsucker Will Hunt You Down

Should You Worry About Getting Bitten by a Shark?
By Livescience.com, staff | July 29, 2019 01:43pm ETMORE

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5saXZlc2NpZW5jZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzEwNi82NTAvb3JpZ2luYWwvdGlnZXItc2hhcmsuanBn

Sharks don't "hunt" humans. And shark bites are almost always cases of mistaken identity.
Credit: Shutterstock
Should You Worry About Getting Bitten by a Shark?

Last edited:
HAKAI magazine
a/the best oceanic website out there
- i think
smile
you/we have to be broughtup on these foods i think
we are too used to the modern processed foods

The Local-Carb Diet
Dedicated Pacific Northwest plant lovers nurture an indigenous food with ancient roots.
Authored by
by Madeline Ostrander

header-camas.jpg

These periwinkle-colored flowers are a familiar sight on Washington State’s San Juan Islands. Below the surface lie edible bulbs that were once widely consumed by Indigenous peoples. Photo by Don Paulson/Alamy Stock Photo

map-camas-1200x832.png

cooked-camas-1200x800.jpg

nez-perce-camas-1200x821.jpg

The Local-Carb Diet | Hakai Magazine

Haider Warraich: ‘We do everything in our modern lifestyle to hurt the heart’ | Heart disease | The Guardian

Can you die from a broken heart?
It’s possible – but you’d be surprised by what breaks people’s hearts. This is a condition called Takotsubo cardiomyopathy, first reported by Japanese cardiologists who were seeing a lot of mostly elderly women coming in after emotional traumas with very weak hearts. The mortality from this condition is the same as that from a heart attack, so it needs to be taken seriously.

Reactions: rbkwp
thanks FSU
never knew/thought a great deal re that,but totally believe so,thats highly probable and certainly not anything i would peresonally discount
not foolish enough to want/wish/desire nor expect more details either
even inclined to be thinkiong its more than likkely with the females of our species than us often BS macho males often brougght up by bullshit macho fathers,disciplined violently by some,more than likely because of there own inadequacies etc
who think us male kids shouldent cry etc
what a lot of F'kn crap

Can you die from a broken heart?

Reactions: Questionable Meat
The urge to shave my head is strong. I cleaned up my undercut and now I wanna go ham on my dome.

But.

I am saving my locks to negotiate second chances for a sister.

Reactions: g0nz0 and rbkwp
7K2nsFRDJbBkHCjiF8tBwYRkMcjgwx9dV5JONtXfm4tiD6_rCogbOcRkQe91Y-2623BWnm8x7V-ejJmlrmQW35OqwAHjLWz8EsSOL5Cu9u_NRFb0aUZyeNm34pe6hUoukA=s0-d-e1-ft

funny
just today i was thinking as a teen my black mop of 60es era nair
im sure dad wondered why i never/refused to wear the raincoat hat he provided
nowadays 1 min of live rain and virtually saturated ha

I am saving my locks to negotiate second chances for a sister.

likely no other country in the wo5rld has lost neartly as much
even with devils like Braxil has/Trumplike animals

U.S. has lost 24 million acres of natural land in 16 years: independent report

Valerie Volcovici
2 MIN READ
FILE PHOTO: Timber clear cuts inside the Elliott State Forest in southwest Oregon, U.S. on July 27, 2016. REUTERS/Eric Johnson
(Reuters) - The United States has lost the equivalent of nine Grand Canyon national parks, or 24 million acres (9712455.41 hectares) of natural area, between 2001 and 2017 due to agriculture, energy development, housing sprawl and other human factors, making the country more vulnerable to the impacts of climate change, according to a report released Tuesday.

The study by progressive think tank Center for American Progress titled “How Much Nature Should America Keep” said the U.S. needs to set a goal to protect 30% of land and oceans by 2030 to stem the rapid decline of natural areas, which will protect the country from the worst impacts of climate change and wildlife extinction.

The report attempted to calculate the rate of loss of natural lands by assessing the impact of oil and gas extraction, road construction, housing sprawl, agriculture and other human activities.

Currently, 12% of U.S. land area has been conserved as national parks, wilderness areas, and other types of protected areas while 26% of U.S. ocean territory is safeguarded from extractive activities like oil and gas drilling, the report said.

“The United States is entering an era in which it will rely more than ever on the integrity and stability of the natural world to provide economic prosperity, safeguard the health of communities, and weather the effects of a changing climate,” the report said.

The steepest losses of natural areas - untouched by human development - occurred in the southern and midwestern U.S. as the footprints of cities, farms, roads, power plants, and other development increased from cover 47% and 59% of their land area.

To achieve a goal of protecting 30% of land by 2030, the U.S. would need to beef up existing land conservation policies at both the federal and local level, the report said.

Reporting by Valerie Volcovici; editing by Diane Craft

Our Standards:The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.

we never stopped to ask hw that can be
too interested in being bettere than anotrher huh

killing in the process to attemt to achieve your goals
enlisting likemined forever and a day, both sides

Alaska Chokes on Wildfires as Heat Waves Dry Out the Arctic

alaska-fire_spc-michael-risinger-army-national-guard_0.jpg

alaska-temps-070819_nasa-earth-observatory.png

\

alaska-fires-smoke_nasa-earth-observation.jpg

Alaska Chokes on Wildfires as Heat Waves Dry Out the Arctic