Rolling Ankle/ Weak Ankle

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
My profession is taking a toll on my ankles.
The peronials seem weak/low tone. Good enough for walking, lousy for walking on varying surfaces.
I think the soleus and gastrocs are good.
I’m seeking good, at home/on trail options to strengthen the side movement muscles.
Any suggestions?
I have Chasing Mountains subscribed on YT, and I’m working on that, currently.

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
This might be dumb advice, but have you tried going for frequent walk/hikes on trails and uneven surfaces? My wife has had chronic ankle/achilles/foot problems for many years and she says she needs trail walks to stay mobile.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
This might be dumb advice, but have you tried going for frequent walk/hikes on trails and uneven surfaces? My wife has had chronic ankle/achilles/foot problems for many years and she says she needs trail walks to stay mobile.
Yes, uneven terrain, altitude gain/loss. It’s the loose stuff that is becoming problematic.

Reactions: twoton

51arledge

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Oh boy, do I know this issue AND after years of experience, I know what has worked for me.
* I work on construction sites with rough gravel construction entrances and uneven grading. I long ago gave up on boots that go above my ankles because they both irritate my prominent "bumps" on both sides of my ankles and they keep my ankles from working to strengthen.
* In the gym, I do Single Leg Romanion Dead Lifts (SLRDLs). You stand on one foot and reach down with either the same or opposite hand to pick a dumbell off the floor, with your other leg reaching behind you and rising up to horizontal as you reach for the floor. I put whichever hand isn't holding the DB on my waist to keep it from flopping around. You lift the DB by standing up, still balancing on the one foot. Then bend at the waist, put the DB down and repeat. I find that a heavier DB is easier than a light one. I do 6-8 reps per foot, alternate to the other foot, and do 3 sets per foot. It is the most mentally taxing exercise I know! It strengthens your ankles, your glutes, your hamstrings, your core.
* On the yoga mat, Barefoot, I do a fold at the waist while standing on one foot, lift the other foot to the sky. Try to touch your nose to your kneecap on the standing leg and wrap your hands either around your ankle or around your calf.
* At home, I use 2 different balls for personal stimulation: either a smooth hard lacrosse ball (Target sells them for this!) or a spikey ball like you use for static in a clothes dryer. Both of these are VERY effective.

51arledge

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Oh boy, do I know this issue AND after years of experience, I know what has worked for me.
* I work on construction sites with rough gravel construction entrances and uneven grading. I long ago gave up on boots that go above my ankles because they both irritate my prominent "bumps" on both sides of my ankles and they keep my ankles from working to strengthen.
* In the gym, I do Single Leg Romanion Dead Lifts (SLRDLs). You stand on one foot and reach down with either the same or opposite hand to pick a dumbell off the floor, with your other leg reaching behind you and rising up to horizontal as you reach for the floor. I put whichever hand isn't holding the DB on my waist to keep it from flopping around. You lift the DB by standing up, still balancing on the one foot. Then bend at the waist, put the DB down and repeat. I find that a heavier DB is easier than a light one. I do 6-8 reps per foot, alternate to the other foot, and do 3 sets per foot. It is the most mentally taxing exercise I know! It strengthens your ankles, your glutes, your hamstrings, your core.
* On the yoga mat, Barefoot, I do a fold at the waist while standing on one foot, lift the other foot to the sky. Try to touch your nose to your kneecap on the standing leg and wrap your hands either around your ankle or around your calf.
* At home, I use 2 different balls for personal stimulation: either a smooth hard lacrosse ball (Target sells them for this!) or a spikey ball like you use for static in a clothes dryer. Both of these are VERY effective.

That last paragraph was supposed to be: "...for peroneal stimulation"
Fucking auto-correct!

Reactions: Scarletbegonia