Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Ive been to gyms with stalls and gyms with open showers. The guys that go to the open shower gyms, regardless of age, seem to be more open to chat, give advice with lifting or more willing to spot

Etenn01a

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Large open room. 2000's remodel to half the size and stalls slightly larger than the size of a standard urinal area. Very difficult for anyone large of challenged with mobility. (ADA requirements were apparently of no concern). These tiny spaces got white plastic curtains that turn pink with slim after about 3 weeks. For that reason alone I shower with them open.

Arriving at the gym one afternoon I passed police officers at the front desk. Later I heard about a middle aged man who burst into the steam room and questioned the two older men, "who touched his son!?!" The offender had slipped out the fire door. Weeks later doors were installed on three the 12 stalls the rest still adorned with plastic curtains.

So sad how things develop.

AgHarley

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Large open room. 2000's remodel to half the size and stalls slightly larger than the size of a standard urinal area. Very difficult for anyone large of challenged with mobility. (ADA requirements were apparently of no concern). These tiny spaces got white plastic curtains that turn pink with slim after about 3 weeks. For that reason alone I shower with them open.

Arriving at the gym one afternoon I passed police officers at the front desk. Later I heard about a middle aged man who burst into the steam room and questioned the two older men, "who touched his son!?!" The offender had slipped out the fire door. Weeks later doors were installed on three the 12 stalls the rest still adorned with plastic curtains.

So sad how things develop.
I would have quit that gym with all the ugly remodels.

RL_Praha

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Yea that’s true, it would be easier and cheaper to just build everything as an open shower though, guess some people need their privacy lol
Yeah open showers are cheaper to build and easier to keep clean. I get it that some need their privacy, though this would put up barriers if for those playing in a team. Being comfortable naked around each other is good for bonding.

Reactions: effedi7 and dbd1830

bigto93

Admired Member
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah open showers are cheaper to build and easier to keep clean. I get it that some need their privacy, though this would put up barriers if for those playing in a team. Being comfortable naked around each other is good for bonding.
Yea it is weird though because you hang your towel up at the door of the “shower room” so you have to walk to the individual stalls naked, plus they’re glass doors so if you walk by you can see in anyways… seems kind of pointless in this case

Reactions: jahan and RL_Praha

hzs3fg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Yea it is weird though because you hang your towel up at the door of the “shower room” so you have to walk to the individual stalls naked, plus they’re glass doors so if you walk by you can see in anyways… seems kind of pointless in this case

Um, no.

My gym has individual stalls with opaque curtains and towel hooks right there just outside each individual stall.

I have actually watched guys who bring their entire bag into the shower area, finish their shower, reach out for the towel, then reach out for clothing and eventually emerge from behind the curtain fully dressed.

slipmoisi

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Why is it that most sporting places locker rooms, basketball arenas, hockey arenas, football etc all have open showers but gyms don't?
Teams train, change and shower at the same time. Communal showers are the most efficient to accomodate a lot of people at the same time (you're less tempted to linger under the water, you can share a shower head with a teammate while you soap up, ...).

At the gym, people come and go at their own time. With a few exceptions, for instance lunch break (I remember using the communal showers at my gym at 1PM when many shy guys were waiting for the cubicles)

Reactions: RL_Praha