Has anyone made a true transformation?

bkmuscledad

Superior Member
Media
It was over the course of 5 months - lots of cardio and weights (starting really light because I really had no strength at all). One day a week with the trainer, 3 days a week without, one hour each.

I also basically only ate chicken and salad. Watched my calorie intact pretty closely and used MyFitnessPal to help me learn what the costs of the things I was eating (and what I enjoyed eating) were.
That's a lot of weight in 5 months but you obviously put the work into it. Thanks for demonstrating what's possible. :)

Reactions: not_brand_x

not_brand_x

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
That's a lot of weight in 5 months but you obviously put the work into it. Thanks for demonstrating what's possible. :)
It was pretty much all body fat. All the changes in habits did most of the heavy lifting: exercising regularly, cutting out junk food, fewer sodas and processed sugars. The first couple of months were where I saw the biggest changes, then it slowed a bit as I started building muscle (which is heavier).

Reactions: bkmuscledad

MrTMT

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I've not being there yet, but I think I'm on the right track. I started to workout again in late 2015, after years of absent from gym/workout that I've had when I was in college - general life, working, married, kids were the contributions for me in gotten out of shape. What got me back to workout was one morning after I had sex with the wife, I happened to looked in the mirror while completely naked, to my surprised, my body seemed to started "melting" as my chest was flatten down and both of my upper arm muscle was dangling noticeable when I moved in certain ways. Now roughly 3 years later, I started slowly gaining back the muscle that I have had and even more. So, back to your original questions, it's true that the workout/gym does provide that benefits. No doubt.

Murphys

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I’m more a work in progress than having reached my goal. A health issue a few years ago derailed my regular workout routine, so for the past 18 months, I’ve been back at the gym. And I’m really enjoying; I’d forgotten how much I enjoy the gym.

To look at me, one probably can’t see any changes. But I can feel the changes. Which is good. I have also increase my strength a lot. Which is also good.

Hopefully my efforts will be visible. But if they’re not and as long as I’m feeling good, then I’m OK with that.

Cheers to all here who have working hard to reach their goals and successes.

Gj816

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Has anyone ever gone from terrible shape to great shape?
If so, would you share your stories, and perhaps your photos?
We see promises from countless entities selling workout plans, diet plans, pills, etc, but it would be great to hear directly from people who aren't part of a company's advertising agenda.

Yes I have. I've lost over 38 pounds. Gained a lot of muscle. While I'm not where I want to be, I am continuing to transform my body into what I want it to be. I've posted progress pics in my album.

I continue to work through the plateau's of not losing any weight from time to time. Sticking to my diet has helped.

I'm determined to get rid of the dad body I have, to a more healthy aesthetically pleasing physique.

It hasn't been easy but I'm dedicated, and determined to get there eventually.

outsidephilly

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I was paired up (sight unseen) with a trainer that could only be described as fat. Pimples, greasy hair, three chins.. you know the type. Fired him on the spot when were introduced. I dont care how many degrees you have in training or how much experience you have. If you show up to work looking like crap, your clients either have lost the will to live or are blind. No one wants to look like that.

MrTMT

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
That sounds very brutal experience for you, outsidephilly, but kind of funny at the same time. I've not encounter anyone in the situation you've described, unless it was meant to be a joke. Although I never have personal trainer, but being in the gym over the years, I've noticed not every personal trainers have 100% best physical body. All have flaws, but not in combinations from what you've described. You did the right thing for not select the guy.

hugepickle

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I had a great PT back in 2015 - fantastic ex-bodybuilder of small height but beastly outlook - well groomed, kind, funny, attentive - unfortunately left the PT business to pursue another career. He really really helped me change my body just in 16 sessions - which were really hard - including diet regime that paid off and it turned me to be the biggest I have ever been. I couldn't continue to train with him unfortunately because I simply couldn't afford it - and on top of that - I did have some work related issues that affected my progress just in time when I finished the last session with him... Good days - my body is really responsive to change and I wish I could go back to that time!

Nick Davis

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Lost 55 lbs. Went from 38 waist to 34 and went from XL to L/medium shirt. LDL and A1c down to normal. Off prescription meds for heart and cholesterol. Diet (intermittent fasting 3x weekly) and exercise (4 times weekly at gym, 2x weekly at home with sit ups and push ups. Fit into slim fit shirts first time in my life. Better shape at 35 than 22!!!

bkmuscledad

Superior Member
Media
Lost 55 lbs. Went from 38 waist to 34 and went from XL to L/medium shirt. LDL and A1c down to normal. Off prescription meds for heart and cholesterol. Diet (intermittent fasting 3x weekly) and exercise (4 times weekly at gym, 2x weekly at home with sit ups and push ups. Fit into slim fit shirts first time in my life. Better shape at 35 than 22!!!
I love hearing things like this, @Nick Davis ! Thanks for sharing that, and keep up the great work. Can I ask, how long did it take you to make that much progress?

Reactions: JJ_Jumbo

Nick Davis

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I love hearing things like this, @Nick Davis ! Thanks for sharing that, and keep up the great work. Can I ask, how long did it take you to make that much progress?

thanks bud, that was nice. It took a little over a year (14 months). Slow at first -10 lbs in the first 3 months, but then very dramatically the last 2-3 months. I lost 6-7 lbs in October already.

someperson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Has anyone ever gone from terrible shape to great shape?
If so, would you share your stories, and perhaps your photos?
We see promises from countless entities selling workout plans, diet plans, pills, etc, but it would be great to hear directly from people who aren't part of a company's advertising agenda.
I have gotten down the 179 pounds this year (before I stopped eating I was at 210 )(I did not eat anything for 4 weeks straight complete loss of appetite) that was back in July to early Aug
i'm currently at 192 pounds size 34w

I'm still in way better shape then my 20s as I have weighed 250 pounds at my peak weight. and size 44w jeans

I hated those baggy jeans or pants I got rid of them all once i lost the weight

my appetite is still iffy.. i don't eat much per day my weight bounces around from week to week. from 189 to 195 range

Last edited:

Sailingbear

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Treyburn, North Carolina, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Between diet, working out with weights, and hiking I lost 87 pounds in one year ten months. More related to diet than the workouts. Changes are big. Pants from 42 to a 33, neck from an 18.5 to a 17, abs from 50 to 34 now just as a start. The weights seem to help firm me up after the weight drops off. Health wise would take a day to cover, but it has improved a great deal also.

Clrwtrdlbud71-fl

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Clearwater, Florida, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Dang some great testimonials and inspiration in this thread.

I struggle with the ''skinny fat' break-through as well, @FootballBro25 's comment on that helpful as a verification/validation point on approach. Consistency is my first priority but the biggest challenge with a demanding& unpredictable work environment and a large family: basically if I am not out of bed by 4.30a en route to the gym, it does not happen that day. And it-is-so-fng-hard to get up that early sometimes!! :p

By the way, anyone on Bodyspace (bodybuilding.com)?

(progress photo att.)

Attachments

Last edited:

In the last 8 months my body has changed a lot . I've been working out 6 times a week with a workout routine thought through, and I have been watching my diet very closely (Myfitnesspal is indeed my pal :) ) after having calculated my maintenance level and decided on a 500kcal calorie deficit. I dropped by about 7 kilos and put on muscle at the same time. Now my next goal is to build muscle mass around the chest and the legs which I have been training wrong :( Bodybuilding is never over!! haha

bkmuscledad

Superior Member
Media
In the last 8 months my body has changed a lot . I've been working out 6 times a week with a workout routine thought through, and I have been watching my diet very closely (Myfitnesspal is indeed my pal :) ) after having calculated my maintenance level and decided on a 500kcal calorie deficit. I dropped by about 7 kilos and put on muscle at the same time. Now my next goal is to build muscle mass around the chest and the legs which I have been training wrong :( Bodybuilding is never over!! haha
Great information, @bigD-Ben . Thanks for that. You brought up an excellent point when you said that you were training wrong. Can you say in what ways? I, and I'm sure many guys, have fallen into the trap of wasting time and energy making workout mistakes or taking the wrong directions. What was wrong and how did you fix it? Thanks again. Joe

Reactions: DSF140

TheBanana

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I am an ectomorph and was just thin/lean when I started in 2008 with lifting. So transformation was quikly...fast results :p.

In 2014 I stopped with lifting for a year (family issues and study....but I always trained ABS :D).
Then I started again with training and gained my current physique back over the months....and even better than before :bomb::bomb::bomb:
CrazyBanana was back in business again:rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Great information, @bigD-Ben . Thanks for that. You brought up an excellent point when you said that you were training wrong. Can you say in what ways? I, and I'm sure many guys, have fallen into the trap of wasting time and energy making workout mistakes or taking the wrong directions. What was wrong and how did you fix it? Thanks again. Joe

Hi! Well my workoutplan was and still is good. The only problem was the execution of some exercises which I was doing wrong. It concerns mostly the compound movements. I was doing bench press with the bar wrong for like 18 months. i couldn't grow my chest and my shoulders became proeminent as they were much more used. Today I corrected this and I focus more chest growth on inlcined bench press with dumbbells. Also the execution of squats was wrong, until recently I had never finished a leg workout with quads on fire as I was taking most of the weight on my hamstrings and glutes. I changed position, lightened the bar and kept focused during my trainings.
To correct all this I watched youtube videos, listened to knowledgeable people at the gym and took some class at a crossfit center where they teach compound exercises. We always learn ;)

bkmuscledad

Superior Member
Media
Hi! Well my workoutplan was and still is good. The only problem was the execution of some exercises which I was doing wrong. It concerns mostly the compound movements. I was doing bench press with the bar wrong for like 18 months. i couldn't grow my chest and my shoulders became proeminent as they were much more used. Today I corrected this and I focus more chest growth on inlcined bench press with dumbbells. Also the execution of squats was wrong, until recently I had never finished a leg workout with quads on fire as I was taking most of the weight on my hamstrings and glutes. I changed position, lightened the bar and kept focused during my trainings.
To correct all this I watched youtube videos, listened to knowledgeable people at the gym and took some class at a crossfit center where they teach compound exercises. We always learn ;)
That's great, Bro. It's amazing what just a little tweak to a movement can do to make progress. I do the same, and follow some guys online, especially the ones who back their instructions up with science. Th gym I go to is a mixed bag of people, but the knowledgeable people are always happy to help and make suggestions. I also found that something that may work well for one person doesn't work as well for someone else, so we also have to listen to our bodies, and find the right movements for each muscle group. As you said, learning how to do the compound movements properly is key.

That's great, Bro. It's amazing what just a little tweak to a movement can do to make progress. I do the same, and follow some guys online, especially the ones who back their instructions up with science. Th gym I go to is a mixed bag of people, but the knowledgeable people are always happy to help and make suggestions. I also found that something that may work well for one person doesn't work as well for someone else, so we also have to listen to our bodies, and find the right movements for each muscle group. As you said, learning how to do the compound movements properly is key.

Yeah, for the chest my problem is the upper chest and so I still practise regular bench press i focus much more my work on inclined exercises. But I know some people at the gym who do the opposite because their bodies are different. I am very lucky to have one of my best friends working out with me and he taught me a lot so I could follow his lead. because some gym dudes really do shit, even on the nutrition side... Because nutrition is key also. I began to boom my results when I incorporated more protein in my daily food intake. If you are in a calorie deficit or regular maintenance and with a low intake or protein the muscles simply cannot grow.

Reactions: bkmuscledad