House plants/gardening

D

deleted5791141

CDD599CD-1228-439B-B535-2ACCF83167A6.jpeg
D43CB1A9-B031-4A6C-8033-C9B5A4264620.jpeg
The pomegranates are ready to harvest! They are super sweet this year - we just cut the first one open and they’re big - a little bigger than a good size grapefruit.

The Meyer lemon tree is also getting ready to give us some lemons soon. I spotted this lovely praying mantis on it earlier today.

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Interior plants are marked for death when ever I but them. Outside flowers, shrubs and trees I have a green thumb. Almost anything I plant does well, if not eaten by animals or bugs.

Deer here, will walk onto your front steps to eat your plants in the winter time and even in the summer anything green is dinner for them. Groundhogs are sneaky bastards, they let your green leaf plants grow nice and big then they come out at night and eat them. Squirrels and rabbits have made some kind of rodent pact together. The Squirrels climb the trees and drop fruit and nuts to the ground where they share the bounty with the rabbits

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
its a joke folks. Just to add a little levity. Obviously not appreciated, and for that I apologize. I will be contacting admin to have this account deleted.
It’s only a joke if everyone finds it funny. You’re the only one that does. Hiding who you really are provides levity only for yourself and no one else.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Gardening is not for everyone.

And while everyone pointed out the obvious quirk with the account already, I have to add one more thing.

Them: "I'm so excited to share my extensive wisdom of gardening"

Me: "share all the knowledge, I'm a sponge"

Them: "one of my plants is all fucked up and I don't know why".

So knowledgeable.

willow78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Wow! A brought down by the "gardening/houseplants" thread! That's a first!
Trust our expert greenthumbs to spot the strange weed in the LPSG garden.

It's like a 'Rosemary and Thyme' mystery (but less murder-y).

But I must admit I was fooled - I mean...I obviously knew that MM's avatar wasn't a selfie, but neither is mine. I just thought MM was a new member - it never occurred to me that she/he was a serial troll.

These are my 3 new ones from this weekend. No matter what aloe plant I've seen there's a piece missing. Thinking people just walk by and break them off. I have peas and green beans in the garden. Have not planted my cucumbers or tomatoes yet. The weather has been too cold to plant them.

20200511_223211.jpg
20200511_223231.jpg

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Orchid family?

Indeed, it's a Phaleanopsis species. I've been looking for them basically ever since beginning my orchid hobby.. started out with the typical hybrid phals you always find in grocery stores and typical flower shops. As I learned about all the different types I realized I really wanted to keep track of the lineages of my orchids so I started buying from a reputable orchid nursery in California.

So far I have 3 different Laelia types, a Monnierara Millennium Magic "Witchcraft" (which is a catesetum type orchid), a variegated Vanilla Planifolia vine, a Sharry Baby oncidium, and the Phal. Sumatrana will be the 4th Phaleanopsis species in my collection.

Before that I already had 11 of the typical hybrid phals from home depot and places like that. Very happy with how it's been going, I haven't lost an orchid in about 3 years if I'm remembering/estimating time accurately. :blush:

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I got seeds the other day.
Not any old Monsanto bought out source. Heirloom/ saved/ rare seeds.
Presto cress, which likely will be a windowsill plant, Buena Mulata pepper (goes purple as it ripens to red...I had to), callaloo, cima di rapa (a broccoli rabe), speckled trout lettuce (to get me over my fear of spots on leaves), and cucamelon (grape tomato sized relative of the cucumber).

I’m excited and planning. Bought some pots at Dollar Tree, too. Soil from a garden center.

Truelove seeds. Online

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Kooktus! I love spring.
So many buds, gonna be a beautiful show when those flowers open. IMG_20210409_183205711~2.jpg

I love my veggie garden, but my cactus patch is still my all time favorite part of my outdoor plant-space.

EDIT: this is just the first to bud.. I have lots more cacti which should be following this little beauty soon with more buds for a nice long season of flowers to bring bees and bats. I love plants, man..

Just_Ryan

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hey there TnJ,
I do recall mentioning to @Tight_N_Juicy (just tagging you, so you’ll get the post ) that I would follow up on 5 Burning Bush plants that I had installed , & hoped they would be very colorful last fall. :( To my dismay, none of them did. I had put some wire fencing on all 4 sides protecting each one of them separately , but had neglected a top wire piece to protect each as well. My best guess is deer got to nibbling as by the time it was noticed, the damage was done. All five have recovered this spring, an doing well & hopefully protected from nibblers. Installed trail cams around the property a year ago as well & quite surprised with the activity of a whole slew of wildlife & lots of deer. Have to enclose our raised gardens in the coming weeks as well. The deer are beautiful, but extremely destructive for our plant life, veggies & such. There’s a few other creatures as suspects for adding to the shenanigans, but definitely some deer eating anything they want.
So, I didn’t forget I would post something when they have some beauty & color. So hoping they prosper this summer & look gorgeous next fall. Secondly, the hops are coming back strong & 11 more rhizomes heading in my direction as well just to fill it in a bit.
Hope all is well out there. ☺️

Lookinginconshy

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Hey there TnJ,
I do recall mentioning to @Tight_N_Juicy (just tagging you, so you’ll get the post ) that I would follow up on 5 Burning Bush plants that I had installed , & hoped they would be very colorful last fall. :( To my dismay, none of them did. I had put some wire fencing on all 4 sides protecting each one of them separately , but had neglected a top wire piece to protect each as well. My best guess is deer got to nibbling as by the time it was noticed, the damage was done. All five have recovered this spring, an doing well & hopefully protected from nibblers. Installed trail cams around the property a year ago as well & quite surprised with the activity of a whole slew of wildlife & lots of deer. Have to enclose our raised gardens in the coming weeks as well. The deer are beautiful, but extremely destructive for our plant life, veggies & such. There’s a few other creatures as suspects for adding to the shenanigans, but definitely some deer eating anything they want.
So, I didn’t forget I would post something when they have some beauty & color. So hoping they prosper this summer & look gorgeous next fall. Secondly, the hops are coming back strong & 11 more rhizomes heading in my direction as well just to fill it in a bit.
Hope all is well out there. ☺️
I know exactly what you go through. My summer is spent at home on a lake on the side of a mountain in the Poconos. Unfortunately my community does not allow hunting so the deer population is rampant. Making matters worse many folks are from the city and find the deer “cute” and feed them. The inbreeding has resulted in stunted deer, and large herds going from one dinner plate (yard) to the next chewing everything they see. I have 5 buck show up twice a day and about 10 doe. I have tried everything to discourage or chase them. Waving and yelling only makes them move closer as they think you have food to give. They have become so domesticated they quickly come running as soon as you pull into your driveway looking for a handout and are not afraid to walk up to you. This is dangerous. Last Saturday, I left my car door open and a yearling stuck it’s head in the car scaring the shit out of my daughter. I had to put a rail and gate on a side ground level deck as they come up on and knock over furniture.

My gardening is sadly limited to deer proof plants (foxgloves, berberis, ornamental grasses). I love hosta but it is candy for deer.

Fences are not allowed and I have tried all sorts of things (hair, Irish Spring, Hot sauce etc..) but nothing works. 0Very open to ideas.

On top of the deer, I have 17 turkeys each morning and a big black bear so a garden is forget it. All these animals cross my property because it cleared of brush and an easy stroll to go to the water. At least they can’t get on my decks so I am a big container gardener.

here is one of my dinner guest and the menu 6F30A45F-BBA0-4578-BD37-0E3C6CD26A75.jpeg
9E06EC55-AA79-4082-8948-2E9E72262A5A.jpeg

1randombeauty

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thread winner!!

Please tell us all about the beguiling Medusa.

Thank You, Mickey.

She is wonderful. She is a Aeonium ‘Cyclops’. I wish I could take credit for how she has grown how she has, and everyone asks, but this is how I got her.

She was a garage sale find. I wish I knew how old she was but I don’t. My guess is that she must be at least 20 years old, or more. Her stock/trunk is very thick and has so many arms, and this particular species does not grow real fast.

And like the fictional character, once people make eye contact with her they can’t stop staring. Good news is, they don’t turn to stone.

Thank You for Asking.
Mr. Random