Prince Philip Dead At 99.

DiamondJoe

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
The politics around this is pretty toxic, a lot of it knee-jerk hostility, but it's worth noting that the reign of Elizabeth Il has been mostly about dismantling the British Empire and giving back sovereignty to former colonies.

I've often wondered whether it's worth keeping a monarch as Head of State, but when I look around the world for better examples I can't find any. What would you have? An elected president? I look at the damage and Ill-repute many such presidents bring upon their own countries in the eyes of those around the world, and I think.... No, I'll stick with what we've got, thanks!
So, the reason to keep an antiquated system built on privilege and power in 21st century democratic Britain because you can't think of anything better?

Ok

Reactions: dreamer20

DiamondJoe

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
It is certainly true that the royal families of Europe were/are quite closely related, as this pic of Tsar Nicholas II, the last Tsar of Russia, and King George V of Gt Britain, the present Queen's grandfather, shows. Mind you, those beards and taches account for about 80 % of the similarities lol!

View attachment 32917741

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip were great-great grandchildren of Queen Victoria, but I'm not a geneticist so I can't say how that might affect them, if at all. Still, the fact that the Duke lived to nearly 100 suggests there were no serious genetic disorders present!!
That the Duke lived to nearly 100 is also testimony to the finest screening and medical care available... :)

Reactions: Flo179 and ronin001

DiamondJoe

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Just saying what a lot of us had thought in our heads - if you do in whats left of your live one iota of the good he generated then you'll die a happy man. Hopefully without your memory being insulted by morons.
...arguably, ChrisRobin, Phillip's pressuring of Charles to a) marry and b) marry Diana Spencer in his gruff, bullying way was responsible for a fair amount of misery in that family.

Reactions: brody

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Wasn’t it the British that colonized the land and committed mass genocide against the natives? My condolences indeed. Don’t start that high and mighty shit. You inbred bums literally invented racism. Have a seat

Check your US history, they do have libraries in NJ, The Dutch were first to colonize New York State; and other territories including a chunk of modern day New Jersey, as did the France and Spain ( I guess you hears of Columbus Day ) . Had you checked my profile, instead of spouting off you would see I am African American, though I would say that after 200 years of US history, I simply go by America . Not exactly sure where you are channeling your rage from; or why you literally hijacked another's thread, making it your personal mission to answer each previous post.

Best advice, I can give you is to Chill out and have a nice day

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Check your US history, they do have libraries in NJ, The Dutch were first to colonize New York State; and other territories including a chunk of modern day New Jersey, as did the France and Spain ( I guess you hears of Columbus Day ) . Had you checked my profile, instead of spouting off you would see I am African American, though I would say that after 200 years of US history, I simply go by America . Not exactly sure where you are channeling your rage from; or why you literally hijacked another's thread, making it your personal mission to answer each previous post.

Best advice, I can give you is to Chill out and have a nice day

looks like
yet another self proclaimed spokesperson,destined to attempt influencing others
has bitten the dust

Reactions: Flo179 and ronin001
B

BigHairyWolf

I’m not really OK with celebrating someone who had so much wealth and power and chose to use it to be so appallingly racist that certain foreign duties were eventually taken away from him.

it’s sad when anyone dies. Being born into such immense privilege doesn’t make it more worthy of attention.

It’s long past time for the monarchy to be disbanded. It’s time for the immense wealth they hold to be used for the good of the nation, and it’s time to remove the remaining unelected political positions from our democracy.

See ya, Phil. Try not to insult the locals wherever you go next.

michael_3165

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I have noticed the sheer level of vitriol that is being sprewed on Twitter and other social media platforms relating to Philip's death and I am astounded by how much hate he and the Queen seem to attract.

This idea that he was a "terrible person" needs more evidence than superficial information we get from the media. Unless you know him personally it is difficult to make that interpretation. I think we get so caught up in what we want to believe about a person and their family that we often mistake it for facts.

He was certainly a colourful (pun not intended) character and his attempts at humour were often taken badly by certain communities. He would say things as he saw them (not as they were, we are all deluded in that sense) and I believe his stint in the armed forced bought about a certain abrasiveness/directness that the average person may be offended by. Of course he said some outrageously offensive things in the past ("slitty eyes" in relation to Chinese people being one of many) and whilst I would never condone such attitudes I can also see that in the mid1900s this was a fairly common-place thing to say. I know many people of that era who got so used to saying egregious things that they simply do it on default. That said I do believe he couldn't have cared any less what other people thought about him or his views and as royals he had the ability to say things without repercussions.

That said some of what he said had at least an element of truth to them and this is something which is widely criticised in a sanitised 21st century. Making comments about a child being "too fat" to be an astronaut and making mention of some cultures eating dogs/cats etc have an element of honesty, even though the message behind it is too unpalatable for many. When I say truth I mean that there are weight limits on astronauts and some cultures do eat some pretty unusual things that in the west would be deemed disgusting. The problem in those instances wasn't the content but the fact he said those things with such bluntness bordering on arrogance as his ability to get away with it.

I do believe much of his outrageous natures was almost a character he portrayed; helped by the media grabbing onto anything he said that was offensive and running with it. We don't get characters anymore; everyone is so beige and sanitised that I suspect he will be the last of a generation where speaking your mind was acceptable (and I am not for a moment making a moral judgment on whether that is good or bad).

Personally I have no real feeling either way. Any person who dies is deeply sad for their families (well generally speaking) and as a result I have compassion. The Queen has had him quietly supporting her for multiple decades; to have that taken away is going to be horrifically painful for her and the family. We can have caring/compassion toward people in privileged positions AND still hold compassion for those who are poor/suffering - it is not an either/or scenario.

michael_3165

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I’m not really OK with celebrating someone who had so much wealth and power and chose to use it to be so appallingly racist that certain foreign duties were eventually taken away from him.

it’s sad when anyone dies. Being born into such immense privilege doesn’t make it more worthy of attention.

It’s long past time for the monarchy to be disbanded. It’s time for the immense wealth they hold to be used for the good of the nation, and it’s time to remove the remaining unelected political positions from our democracy.

See ya, Phil. Try not to insult the locals wherever you go next.

Ten years ago I would have freaked at the idea of the monarchy being disbanded. However the fact they have veered so far away from their mystique I now have no interest in "everyman" royals like Harry and William. The role of monarch should have a degree of separateness from society; there should be mystique and intrigue and I now find them to be SO accessible that they have lost all sense of being royal. I don't want to see Kate Middleton picking up the kids from school! Royals hanging out socially with James Cordon and other celebrities. They used to be above all that - at least publicly. The whole thing has turned into a soap opera and I for one don't believe there is any place in society for that.

I am a traditionalist in the sense I love history, tradition...a sense of culture. But I cannot see how William et al will ever take that role on with such dedication and closed-lipped-ness as the Queen and Philip.

DiamondJoe

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I am a traditionalist in the sense I love history, tradition...a sense of culture. But I cannot see how William et al will ever take that role on with such dedication and closed-lipped-ness as the Queen and Philip.

...that's because they are/were creatures from a bygone age.

DiamondJoe

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I'm sure he's up there now...

princephilipheaven.jpg