Finn/jack harries

Haha yeah I've been thinking about this a lot lately as well. It's basically performative activism and nothing is actually being done. Not that I have any answers on how to actually make change but yeah.

The Paris agreement depends on heads of state: US and China. Also, you can stop buying plastic.

Jack has talked on IG LIVE about his conflicted feelings with flying. In the big picture, the emissions of USA and CHINA are the threat to raising the temperature, not little Jack Harries on an airplane.
Talking on Instagram about how badly you feel about the thing you are going to keep doing doesn’t absolve you of the thing. If Jack wants to combat climate change he should stay home and take a regular job.

if he feels so bad about flying, maybe he should take another form of transportation, like a train. oh wait, he did try that but because trains aren't fast and convenient to him, he left at a station before his destination and got on a plane.
their activism revolves around what's comfortable and convenient to them

I’m sorry this is a stupid argument. corporations pollute way more than any one individual yet we’ve somehow shifted the focus of fixing climate change onto small changes the individual can do like reusable shop bags or straws or taking a different mode of transportation. Sure it’s ok to be aware of how you’re impacting the world around you but the focus should be redirected back at corporations and what they are doing to become less impactful.

I’m sorry this is a stupid argument. corporations pollute way more than any one individual yet we’ve somehow shifted the focus of fixing climate change onto small changes the individual can do like reusable shop bags or straws or taking a different mode of transportation. Sure it’s ok to be aware of how you’re impacting the world around you but the focus should be redirected back at corporations and what they are doing to become less impactful.

I'm shocked to hear that corporations are producing items which customers don't want, and are forcing them to use those products. Just this morning I passed a Target parking lot wherein I saw, to my horror, a person being forced to wear microplastic-infused clothes, drive an internal combustion car, carry a plastic sack and sip a non-fair-trade coffee. The poor person barely had a chance to reach for their forced-cell-phone with all the people around them threatening them.

Jack and Finn are doing worthy work, (at least Jack, Finn seems more world-weary) are hopelessly naïve, and are furthering the problem they hope to solve. How can we really expect anything to get done when all we get are platitudes from millionaires and the media?

Before Jack figured out that disrupting traffic just pisses people off, he was big on the type of performative inaction that seems to appeal to some, so here's a picture of a not-model bringing a photographer and a lawyer to do... something already forgotten about.

Jack_Harries_in_the_court.jpg

In a way Jack and Finn represent good and bad environmentalism. Finn is studying to be an architect and wants to build environmentally sustainable projects. Jack and his girlfriend are screaming harpies who shame ordinary people in between their ostentatious trips the Arctic or a refugee camp, or their vacation home in Ibiza. The world will reward Finn if he’s success. And Jack? Well it’s a good thing he has family money.

In a way Jack and Finn represent good and bad environmentalism. Finn is studying to be an architect and wants to build environmentally sustainable projects. Jack and his girlfriend are screaming harpies who shame ordinary people in between their ostentatious trips the Arctic or a refugee camp, or their vacation home in Ibiza. The world will reward Finn if he’s success. And Jack? Well it’s a good thing he has family money.

I tried to go nicer on Finn for that exact reason. Beating climate change means fundamentally changing how all of us live, which includes the architecture of the mundane (no low ceilings in hot environs) and of entire cities. He's taken a profession where he can actually help fix the problem. As opposed to Jack, who is still trying to figure out where the Sharpie goes afterward.

i swear this thread has come back around to this stupid flight topic about 15 times. stop burning up the atmosphere with this nonsense.

I'm shocked to hear that corporations are producing items which customers don't want, and are forcing them to use those products. Just this morning I passed a Target parking lot wherein I saw, to my horror, a person being forced to wear microplastic-infused clothes, drive an internal combustion car, carry a plastic sack and sip a non-fair-trade coffee. The poor person barely had a chance to reach for their forced-cell-phone with all the people around them threatening them.

Jack and Finn are doing worthy work, (at least Jack, Finn seems more world-weary) are hopelessly naïve, and are furthering the problem they hope to solve. How can we really expect anything to get done when all we get are platitudes from millionaires and the media?

Before Jack figured out that disrupting traffic just pisses people off, he was big on the type of performative inaction that seems to appeal to some, so here's a picture of a not-model bringing a photographer and a lawyer to do... something already forgotten about.

View attachment 39093621
Yet still just with the first paragraph blame still being pushed onto the individual. No shit consumers want things that that corporations produce that’s literally the point. Guess what consumers will still want the stuff if the corporations don’t destroy the planet at the same time too. Have you stopped for literally a micro second to think as to why people have the things currently available today? It’s because that’s what’s being made. Period. That’s it.

Reactions: maxxxs