Post What's For Dinner (with Photos)

T

T_Lurch

What did you do with those million White Castle sliders you bought? Did you all 30 of them?
Ate some of them the next day heated up in the microwave.

Though it's just not the same as fresh.

Ended up tossing out a few. I hate wasting food, but they get a little stale after a few days.

Reactions: Lookinginconshy
T

T_Lurch

Making schnitzel for dinner!

First:
20210516_181237.jpg

Hold aloft your meat tenderizer hammer and say the words, "Whosoever holds this hammer, if thou be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

Hey, I was gonna go with, "by the power of Greyskull," but it's a friggin hammer, not a sword.

Then:
20210516_175336.jpg

Beat that meat!!! Alright, enough snickering. Pound the pork chops flat and season with salt and pepper on both sides.

20210516_181111.jpg

Battered and fried in vegetable oil with butter.

20210516_190403.jpg

Serve with a lemon-butter sauce and German Spaetzle (potato egg dumplings).

Anstossen!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lookinginconshy

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Making schnitzel for dinner!

First:
View attachment 34941421
Hold aloft your meat tenderizer hammer and say the words, "Whosoever holds this hammer, if thou be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor."

Hey, I was gonna go with, "by the power of Greyskull," but it's a friggin hammer, not a sword.

Then:
View attachment 34941461
Beat that meat!!! Alright, enough snickering. Pound the pork chops flat and season with salt and pepper on both sides.

View attachment 34941511
Battered and fried in vegetable oil with butter.

View attachment 34941561
Serve with a lemon-butter sauce and German Spaetzle (potato egg dumplings).

Anstossen!
You can do the same with a chicken breast half. Slice the half into two fillets and do the same you did for the pork. Rather than frying, put into the oven, they do just as well without the extra oil. Got that from Martha Stewart recipe.

did you make your own pasta? Also easy . Water, flour, egg and use a grater to rice the dough. 5 minutes.

yours looked delicious
Guten Appetit!

Reactions: T_Lurch
T

T_Lurch

Spatchcocking! I've done that with whole roast chicken before. Cuts the cooking time in half. Usually I like to slice (or pound) meat a little thinner anyway because it's easier to cook all the way through without burning the outside and undercooking the inside.

The Spaetzle was from the store. I haven't tried making my own pasta before but I might one day.

Motion-of-the-Ocean

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I have it all ready for the wife when she gets home. Got tired of the boxed and bagged chicken so decided to go with some fresh and healthy breasts even though they're more labor intensive. Add in the chicken flavored noodles and it's a Chicken-Palozza. I may even decide to mix them all altogether for a double-chicken taste :D.

DSCF7131.JPG

T

T_Lurch

I have it all ready for the wife when she gets home. Got tired of the boxed and bagged chicken so decided to go with some fresh and healthy breasts even though they're more labor intensive. Add in the chicken flavored noodles and it's a Chicken-Palozza. I may even decide to mix them all altogether for a double-chicken taste :D.

View attachment 34998421
Chicken and pork probably constitute about 85% of my meat intake. My wife is constantly telling me I'm gonna come back as a chicken. Every once in a while I get to have something exotic and different to my palate such as bison, goat, venison, or lamb. Well, okay, exotic to me. Had duck once and found it oily, greasy and disgusting.

I'd eat more beef except that, red meat isn't good for you in large amounts and has gotten expensive to boot, and seafood is really expensive; which beggars belief since I live on a peninsula.

Reactions: Motion-of-the-Ocean

Motion-of-the-Ocean

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Chicken and pork probably constitute about 85% of my meat intake. My wife is constantly telling me I'm gonna come back as a chicken. Every once in a while I get to have something exotic and different to my palate such as bison, goat, venison, or lamb. Well, okay, exotic to me. Had duck once and found it oily, greasy and disgusting.

I'd eat more beef except that, red meat isn't good for you in large amounts and has gotten expensive to boot, and seafood is really expensive; which beggars belief since I live on a peninsula.

Except for the once in a great while slice of bacon for breakfast or Genoa salami for a work sandwich, I've pretty much eliminated pork and eat red meat less than half the time. It's been mostly chicken, turkey and maybe every two weeks serving of fish, which you are correct in it being expensive despite the fact fresh catch is easy to obtain in Florida. I found lamb is pretty good but sufferers from the double whammy of price and availability.

One of the fringe benefits of a former job was the amount of guys that worked there that were into hunting and would share some venison quite a bit. In fact, I haven't had any since then for the same reasons as the lamb.

I did seriously consider once becoming at least a semi-vegetarian for health reasons, but realized it's too much work to get a substantial amount of protein to sustain a heavy weight-training regime without animal flesh. There's only so many whey protein drinks one can stomach in a day.

Motion-of-the-Ocean

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Didn't know they made noodles out of edamame!

Seldom eat frozen pizza, but every now and then Screamin Sicilian makes a decent one. And I get the occasional craving for a good French bread pizza.

Aldi sells it and they also have it in regular and black soybean, but I like the edamame better. Plus it has a ton more protein than regular pasta so it makes a great choice to reach my intake goal on days I hit the weights.

I normally like pizza with a rising crust like Di Giorno, but it's not a good option if you're maintaining or on a calorie deficit.

Lookinginconshy

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Aldi sells it and they also have it in regular and black soybean, but I like the edamame better. Plus it has a ton more protein than regular pasta so it makes a great choice to reach my intake goal on days I hit the weights.

Didn’t see this pasta at my local Aldi. Perhaps they stock differently according to region? My local grocery has been stocking more and more lentil pasta but the price is ouch. I like Aldi for the various German products and nice selects of cheeses at affordable prices.

A fairly new comer to the states is Lidl. Another German grocer that has some interesting products that are hard to find in mainline groceries and great prices on produce. My wife likes this store and is happy now one is here.

oddly, I can’t find a Middle Eastern specialty store here in Philly, plenty of Indian/Asian stores though..

T

T_Lurch

Didn’t see this pasta at my local Aldi. Perhaps they stock differently according to region? My local grocery has been stocking more and more lentil pasta but the price is ouch. I like Aldi for the various German products and nice selects of cheeses at affordable prices.

A fairly new comer to the states is Lidl. Another German grocer that has some interesting products that are hard to find in mainline groceries and great prices on produce. My wife likes this store and is happy now one is here.

oddly, I can’t find a Middle Eastern specialty store here in Philly, plenty of Indian/Asian stores though..
Haven't seen Lidl here where I live. I understand they're big in Scandinavia.

We've got Aldi's springing up like mushrooms here though.

Surprisingly, Publix has a fairly robust international/ethnic section, though it can't compare to a real ethnic market in terms of content.

Motion-of-the-Ocean

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I can’t find a Middle Eastern specialty store here in Philly, plenty of Indian/Asian stores though..

That's strange. Depending where you live, a lot of neighborhoods are fairly ethically diverse (or at least they used to be), so there should be some, especially in Center City. Maybe a lot more has changed over the years since I left beyond them finally ending the Septa or garbage strike :laughing:. As long as you can still get a Four Sons pizza or a Pat's steak, what more does one need?

Lookinginconshy

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Haven't seen Lidl here where I live. I understand they're big in Scandinavia.

We've got Aldi's springing up like mushrooms here though.

Surprisingly, Publix has a fairly robust international/ethnic section, though it can't compare to a real ethnic market in terms of content.
I don’t know Publix but think it a chain grocery like Giant.

We are lucky in Phila. Area as there are large ethnic communities so easy to find ethnic specific full grocery stores.

Once a quarter, we go to a mega Asian grocery and to 2 Large Russian food stores to stock up.

Walking into the large Russian stores (Bell’s & Netcost) you feel like you are no longer in the US.and hardly hear English. They carry most Eastern European product brands available and some Middle Eastern & Israeli so for us, it is like going into our local shop back in Europe and we can get items we like that are not available in other stores. Even can buy my favorite roasted grain coffee substitute “Inka” and all types of smoked fish plus a large pickle bar with all sorts of fermented treats. It really is an experience just shopping there.

Last edited:
T

T_Lurch

I don’t know Publix but think it a chain grocery like Giant.

We are lucky in Phila. Area as there are large ethnic communities so easy to find ethnic specific full grocery stores.

Once a quarter, we go to a mega Asian grocery and to 2 Large Russian food stores to stock up.

Walking into the large Russian stores (Bell’s & Netcost) you feel like you are no longer in the US.and hardly hear English. They carry most Eastern European product brands available and some Middle Eastern & Israeli so for us, it is like going into our local shop back in Europe and we can get items not available in other stores. Even can buy my favorite roasted grain coffee substitute “Inka” and all sorts of smoked fish plus a large pickle bar with all sorts of fermented treats. It really is an experience just shopping there.
Florida lacks all of that pretty much. Publix is a grocery chain commonly found here along with Winn-Dixie and the occasional Bravo (a Brazilian chain, if I'm not mistaken) which are staples in the Southeastern U.S.

I'd probably be like a kid in a candy store in some of those exotic stores as I love trying out new foods from other countries.

When it comes to ethnic restaurants and markets there's not much to choose from down here. I've seen numerous Chinese, Thai and Japanese restaurants, the occasional Korean or Vietnamese, the occasional Jamaican/West Indies place, lots of Mexican and Cuban, Indian, and Italian, but no Jewish, Eastern European or Russian anywhere. Generally, the further north you go and closer to big cities, the more selection there is.

I did manage to find an Indian and a Korean market not far from me, which I like to get kimchi and other treats from.

Lookinginconshy

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
That's strange. Depending where you live, a lot of neighborhoods are fairly ethically diverse (or at least they used to be), so there should be some, especially in Center City. Maybe a lot more has changed over the years since I left beyond them finally ending the Septa or garbage strike :laughing:. As long as you can still get a Four Sons pizza or a Pat's steak, what more does one need?
Well lots has changed. The Italian market is mostly Asian vendors now. Filthy Septa and garbage are the same ...I’m in the western burbs.