Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Just about anything Crossfit related :rolleyes:
I'll give them credit for finally helping popularize "strong is sexy" for women, and helping dispel the silly common myth that weightlifting will instantly make us manly and unattractive.. but just about anything done in a Crossfit box is utterly stupid and dangerous : unamused:

Kipping pullups are a personal pet peeve and I used to see people doing them all the time:

If you're lifting weights you should be doing proven safe lifts and close attention to proper form to avoid injury, with planned progressive overload. If you're totally inexperienced then under the close supervision of someone who is experienced and can spot you.
It shouldn't be in a hangar with 40 people and one "trainer" all screaming at the top of their lungs to DOOOO IIIIIIT while you try to clumsily jerk the maximum possible weight you can move in some stupid trending exercise that a member of an Instagram cult made up on a whim : unamused:

There are people doing Crossfit with very impressive physiques, but it's simply an inevitable byproduct of shifting heavy weights around and not something magical that's happening in a Crossfit box. They're getting fit despite all the stupid stuff in Crossfit, for the short while they miraculously manage to avoid injury. They could get the exact same physiques safely with traditional weightlifting. But then they wouldn't have pics like this to put up on IG to impress their friends :rolleyes:
View attachment 26762381

Those kipping pullups are the dumbest fucking thing. It's like begging to completely fuck up your rotator cuff. I generally try not to judge people, but I draw the line when it comes to those pullups.

Motion-of-the-Ocean

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
My pet peeves is seeing people curling in the squat rack.

THE SQUAT RACK IS NOT FOR CURLING!!!! -.-

At least your gym has a squat rack. Although I can no longer do squats, but when I could, my only choice for legs was the dreaded Smith Machine which along with the adduction and abduction machines, is like the shortbus of gym equipment.

Reactions: steel33 and osid

dirk_pitt_9in

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Unless you are lifting Olympic level weight, over reliance on aids like lifting belts and straps is actually detrimental to strength and technique ;)

^^All of this...say it again for the people in the back. If you NEED an aid (wrap, strap, glove, belt, etc.) to lift a weight you couldn't lift otherwise...then don't lift it.

Guys screaming at the top of their lungs but not lifting major weight

I hear Planet Fitness may be more your cup of tea then :p Seriously though...unless your lifting at your 90% or higher, just exhale. It's OK, we all see you lifting, no reason to scream about it.

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
But it’s ok if I and my bun are there?
Tad sexist.
It is a bun. Not a man bun. Bun. A type of topknot many cultures with highly masculine males have embraced.

I said "man" bun. I did not say simply bun. Maybe it's an age thing for me. I'm here in Los Angeles. The hipster capital. When I see half a dozen guys with buns looking to be "authentic" I always chuckle at bit inside. It's like when I was growing up and had almost waist length hair because I was being cool... Along with 200+ other cool surfer kids in my school. It's all in fun.

Now seriously stupid in the gym (at least to me)? THUNDERING DEAD LIFTS. They put on their full cover headphones... Crank up the music... And SLAM... SLAM... SLAM... But hey, maybe they are reaching a specific muscle by bouncing the weight off the floor?

Reactions: teensmokerghost

51arledge

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I haven't been to my gym since Covid hit 19 months ago, but one guy is burned into my brain. At least 3 times a week, and this is all I ever saw him do in 12 years at that gym: Jack the treadmill up to its maximum angle, get the speed as high as possible, lean way back at 90 degrees to the plane of the treadmill....and hold on for dear life for about an hour. There were so many ways this could go wrong; hell a power outage might have been fatal.

Motion-of-the-Ocean

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I haven't been to my gym since Covid hit 19 months ago, but one guy is burned into my brain. At least 3 times a week, and this is all I ever saw him do in 12 years at that gym: Jack the treadmill up to its maximum angle, get the speed as high as possible, lean way back at 90 degrees to the plane of the treadmill....and hold on for dear life for about an hour. There were so many ways this could go wrong; hell a power outage might have been fatal.

The end result would be like watching a real life Loony Toons episode :D.

• Haha
Reactions: ClaphamRob
D

deleted3155011

Not really exclusive to the gym but they do look stupid being sported anywhere. As well as being at least two decades beyond their fad sell by date.
I'm 56 and wear a bun in the gym, because my waist length hair would get in the way. The people complaining about "man" buns are probably among the more follicularly challenged. There is no 'sell-by' date for long hair...it just grows and grows.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I'm 56 and wear a bun in the gym, because my waist length hair would get in the way. The people complaining about "man" buns are probably among the more follicularly challenged. There is no 'sell-by' date for long hair...it just grows and grows.

or, somehow someone else’s hair style impacts their fragile masculinity.
I think it’s sexist to denigrate men for wearing buns when no one says “lady buns” and lives.

Reactions: deleted3155011

mark.der.typ

Legendary Member
Media
Dortmund (North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany)
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Totally right dude
I was wearing buns already 20yrs ago at school sports, first i got laughs for that, but later they noticed why, and did it by themselves
As scarlet said, some men are just idiots

...and that scares me sometimes

Reactions: deleted3155011

Yugnotxe

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
you're describing exactly the one douchebag at my gym. top speed, jumps on and runs like a bat out of hell, then just fucking jumps off, walks to the water fountain (treadmill still at top speed) and does it again - 5 reps of this shit LOL smh