The Boyfriend Netflix reality series

I don’t even particularly like Dai but he deserves better than Shun lol hopefully Shun grows up a bit in these final few episodes bc I’ve been very turned off by his immaturity and indecisiveness so far
I will add: if the Japanese system for orphans (is this even the right word to use anymore? I honestly don’t know.. it seems harsh) is anything like it is in America, I totally get why Shun is moving the way he is. The system sucks and you have to be selfish and look out for yourself first. But he should be outgrowing old coping mechanisms.

Comment after watching episode 7 but before 8, don't open if you don't want spoilers.

Shun made the impossible possible and became even more unbearable, omg!
I'm not even a fan of Dai, but now I'm actually sad for him, since he seems to still be with Shun after the show.
One of those "I need actions and not words" or "you don't need to speak" to me after all he did since first day, I would be "Ok. Nope. Thank you but nope. Have a good rest of the show, but I'm out. IKUO? KAZUTO? TAEHON? Let's do something!"
And then the whole coffee truck shift scene to make it even worse! Boy does know how to sink, that I give to him. Omg.

Since the point about him being raised in an orphanage was brought up, I'll share my two cents on the topic.
I've had a LTR with someone who came from a DV home and also dated for a short time someone who was rescued from a neglect residence and raised by foster parents and really... In both cases it was way too much for me.
I'm not a psychologist, I'm not a social worker, I'm definitely not in the position to say their personalities were because of their upbringing, even less in the position to attribute any of Shun's (who I've never met) traits to his childhood.
But at the same time, I know what I've suffered from those two in abusive relationships (actual blackmailing, lying about having HIV even though he didn't have... the list gets quite creepy). So what I have to say from being in the other side of the rope is, as tough as it might be, having a rough upbringing don't make the person unaccountable for suffering caused to others and, as already said, you either outgrow it and find a way to heal, or you are doomed for unhealthy relationships for the rest of your life.
I'm dating someone healthy now and god. The only think I can say is how can life be this easy and simple and spontaneous. My 20yo self would have never believed it.

As for Kazuto, I can imagine the whole thing is probably very consuming for him by this point, lol. Of course all the love he receives is deserved and he is the best person in the house. But having those developments every single day definitely takes a toll, lol.
It was pretty obvious that he would go to the truck in a 3 guys shift and I seriously doubt he will develop anything romantic with anyone during the show now. lol

And as an inoffensive spoiler:
I WAS SHOCKED WITH DAI DOING FACE MASK.
What on earth has this young man done to look like 38 at 23 even though he is doing skin care???
Would he look like 55 if he was not doing it??? I have so many questions!

I'm not any @BellatrixPatricia57 the queen of GIFs, but.

(3 seconds from episode 8. Nothing specially relevant but be warned.)
Poor baby is so tired here. He already works hard and goes back to the house to continue working . Give my boy a long break.

I would like to see him in a vlog taking a long ass vacay. Then post some thirst traps on Instagram.

Comment after watching episode 7 but before 8, don't open if you don't want spoilers.

Shun made the impossible possible and became even more unbearable, omg!
I'm not even a fan of Dai, but now I'm actually sad for him, since he seems to still be with Shun after the show.
One of those "I need actions and not words" or "you don't need to speak" to me after all he did since first day, I would be "Ok. Nope. Thank you but nope. Have a good rest of the show, but I'm out. IKUO? KAZUTO? TAEHON? Let's do something!"
And then the whole coffee truck shift scene to make it even worse! Boy does know how to sink, that I give to him. Omg.

Since the point about him being raised in an orphanage was brought up, I'll share my two cents on the topic.
I've had a LTR with someone who came from a DV home and also dated for a short time someone who was rescued from a neglect residence and raised by foster parents and really... In both cases it was way too much for me.
I'm not a psychologist, I'm not a social worker, I'm definitely not in the position to say their personalities were because of their upbringing, even less in the position to attribute any of Shun's (who I've never met) traits to his childhood.
But at the same time, I know what I've suffered from those two in abusive relationships (actual blackmailing, lying about having HIV even though he didn't have... the list gets quite creepy). So what I have to say from being in the other side of the rope is, as tough as it might be, having a rough upbringing don't make the person unaccountable for suffering caused to others and, as already said, you either outgrow it and find a way to heal, or you are doomed for unhealthy relationships for the rest of your life.
I'm dating someone healthy now and god. The only think I can say is how can life be this easy and simple and spontaneous. My 20yo self would have never believed it.

As for Kazuto, I can imagine the whole thing is probably very consuming for him by this point, lol. Of course all the love he receives is deserved and he is the best person in the house. But having those developments every single day definitely takes a toll, lol.
It was pretty obvious that he would go to the truck in a 3 guys shift and I seriously doubt he will develop anything romantic with anyone during the show now. lol

And as an inoffensive spoiler:
I WAS SHOCKED WITH DAI DOING FACE MASK.
What on earth has this young man done to look like 38 at 23 even though he is doing skin care???
Would he look like 55 if he was not doing it??? I have so many questions!
As I just finished watching episode 7 & 8, here are my long long long personal thoughts & opinions on the contestants so far:
ROMEDAI & SHUNIET:
Shun is such a diva. LOL. His face card would never run out of limit, but his mood swings, oh my, absolutely annoying. While I get his backstory, abandonment & trust issues, etc. His behavior isn't supposed to be excused. I think he's being too protective of himself that he would only accept things the way he feels in the moment & not taking others around him into quotation.

Dai on the other hand, I feel like he's patient enough & has been learning how to correctly handle Shun. I still remember how people were saying "Dai is such a redflag & a playboy" in the beginning, just because he's.. outgoing & dated other people, LOL. Tbh, I feel like people are quick to judge & they mostly fail to see that Shun is the more problematic, yet they just give Shun a pass only because he's the mainstream handsome.

But then episode 8 ended so good. Tbh the kiss was being spoiled all over social media right when the show first aired, yet it's stil nice to see a character development, where Shun at least admitted his mistake (he's honestly just like a child) & apologized to Dai. Will they last? We never know, but I love happy ending so why not.

KAZUTO AND HIS 4 NOT-SO-SECRET ADMIRERS:
Okay, Kazuto is definitely the definition of boyfriend material. His milkshake surely brings all the boys to the yard. But I don't think he would end up choosing anybody tbh. While he's so poised & polite, I feel like he has built a wall & is also very protective of himself in his own right. We'll see how the story would end for him.

Usak may have attracted Kazuto greatly, but his social skill is not the best & right when he would have a chance to lay the foundation, he had to log out of the server, LOL (I really thought Usak would have a chance with him if it wasn't for him departing).

Alan may be too aggressive for Kazuto. He looks like this very open person who's loud, yet mature enough to navigate his own life the way he wants, at least to me. I don't think he's the best match for Kazuto's energy tbh.

Ryota is.. such a zombie. LOL. In term of personality. He's too passive. He also always takes action too late. Like he would see his competitor doing stuffs & would copy it, like no honey, you ain't got nothing with that. I would've never thought of him being attractive until I saw his modelling pictures where then I said "oooh.. I can see that". But his charm isn't something mainstream imo. Maybe he could start something with Gensei, but we'll see.

Then the new guy Ikuo. Such a young one & full of energy. Just when the last episode kind missguided viewers to think of him being Shun's Rival, he then had a crush on Kazuto. LOL. Sadly he has not managed to attract the latter.

THE INVISIBLE ONES:
I feel sorry for the 2 most neglected cast. At least Gensei has his tragic one-sided crush on Ryota on screen. But other than giving makeovers, he rarely had any screentime. Also perhaps because he's such a twink physically that none of the cast have interest in him? Tbh my only problem with him is the mustache. Like, I don't think it suits him, but that's just my opinion. I hope his relationship with Ryota would develop into something.

Finally we have Taeheon. My God. Give him the spotlight please. And why is that no other contestant into him??? Like if I was single and in that competion, I would be more than glad to pick him. The thing is even Netflix Japan YouTube channel has BTS videos of him (without subtitles) being such a considerate & wise advisor in the house, but none of the scenes are in the show.

As I just finished watching episode 7 & 8, here are my long long long personal thoughts & opinions on the contestants so far:
ROMEDAI & SHUNIET:
Shun is such a diva. LOL. His face card would never run out of limit, but his mood swings, oh my, absolutely annoying. While I get his backstory, abandonment & trust issues, etc. His behavior isn't supposed to be excused. I think he's being too protective of himself that he would only accept things the way he feels in the moment & not taking others around him into quotation.

Dai on the other hand, I feel like he's patient enough & has been learning how to correctly handle Shun. I still remember how people were saying "Dai is such a redflag & a playboy" in the beginning, just because he's.. outgoing & dated other people, LOL. Tbh, I feel like people are quick to judge & they mostly fail to see that Shun is the more problematic, yet they just give Shun a pass only because he's the mainstream handsome.

But then episode 8 ended so good. Tbh the kiss was being spoiled all over social media right when the show first aired, yet it's stil nice to see a character development, where Shun at least admitted his mistake (he's honestly just like a child) & apologized to Dai. Will they last? We never know, but I love happy ending so why not.

Okay, Kazuto is definitely the definition of boyfriend material. His milkshake surely brings all the boys to the yard. But I don't think he would end up choosing anybody tbh. While he's so poised & polite, I feel like he has built a wall & is also very protective of himself in his own right. We'll see how the story would end for him.

Usak may have attracted Kazuto greatly, but his social skill is not the best & right when he would have a chance to lay the foundation, he had to log out of the server, LOL (I really thought Usak would have a chance with him if it wasn't for him departing).

Alan may be too aggressive for Kazuto. He looks like this very open person who's loud, yet mature enough to navigate his own life the way he wants, at least to me. I don't think he's the best match for Kazuto's energy tbh.

Ryota is.. such a zombie. LOL. In term of personality. He's too passive. He also always takes action too late. Like he would see his competitor doing stuffs & would copy it, like no honey, you ain't got nothing with that. I would've never thought of him being attractive until I saw his modelling pictures where then I said "oooh.. I can see that". But his charm isn't something mainstream imo. Maybe he could start something with Gensei, but we'll see.

Then the new guy Ikuo. Such a young one & full of energy. Just when the last episode kind missguided viewers to think of him being Shun's Rival, he then had a crush on Kazuto. LOL. Sadly he has not managed to attract the latter.

THE INVISIBLE ONES:
I feel sorry for the 2 most neglected cast. At least Gensei has his tragic one-sided crush on Ryota on screen. But other than giving makeovers, he rarely had any screentime. Also perhaps because he's such a twink physically that none of the cast have interest in him? Tbh my only problem with him is the mustache. Like, I don't think it suits him, but that's just my opinion. I hope his relationship with Ryota would develop into something.

Finally we have Taeheon. My God. Give him the spotlight please. And why is that no other contestant into him??? Like if I was single and in that competion, I would be more than glad to pick him. The thing is even Netflix Japan YouTube channel has BTS videos of him (without subtitles) being such a considerate & wise advisor in the house, but none of the scenes are in the show.
I wanna comment on two things, or people, better said, that you mentioned.

I totally agree that Usak and Kazuto would've spent more time, had he stayed. But I mentioned this in a previous post of mine on here. When I heard that there's going to be a new date chance, I was sure that Kazuto would've wanted to go with Usak. Honestly, the fact that he chose Alan this time surprised me. And yes, I do think too that noone is a match for Kazuto, from his perspective as we didn't hear or see anything that would imply the opposite.

Taeheon. My god. I for some reason feel like I shouldn't talk about him in an inappropriate manner, but I would so want to fuck with him. And not just that, go on a date with him and get to know him. I think that at this point we can agree that the problem, that is "problem" , is not with his looks. Nor with his personality. But the fact that he is Korean. I don't know that much history of these two nations' history but it seems it has caused japanese people (generally speaking, and based on what I heard here) try to stay away from koreans.
I honestly and wholeheartedly root for him to get some cute action in the following two episodes, but I don't see with whom could he do that. In a romantic manner, I mean.
And still, when he talked about the idea of coming out, I was thinking to myself "Here he is, talking about such a sensitive topic in his life with people he knows don't really fancy him, and yet he stays so brave and OPEN towards them." I want to hug him and tell him that just because those guys aren't interested in him it doesn't mean that he didn't win over the whole World's heart (figuratively speaking)
And one last thing. He shaved? Why did he have to shave, I was digging his look so muuch ugh

ROMEDAI & SHUNIET:

THE INVISIBLE ONES:

Re Kazuto, that’s my impression of him as well but then in the latest episode he said his type is a guy who can’t live without him and he doesn’t like Ikuo in the house cause he’s having fun with the team or something. That was just so odd and out of character for me

Maybe I'm just too old (21) for Shun's antics but jesus christ do him and Dai take the life out of the show with the immature games from Shun.
Shun is absolutely unbearable. He rejects Dai but wants him to keep chasing him and is jealous if he gives anyone else some attention. I absolutely despise these high school girl games.

ROMEDAI & SHUNIET:

THE INVISIBLE ONES:

First of all my dear Bella I want to applaud you for your mature (and kind) review. I expected nothing less from you! Very classy!

I also think you're kind of spot on with your critiques regarding all the guys (as of episode 8). You hit the nail on the head for basically everyone I think, I mainly and strongly agree with your points Re; Taeheon. He was my first 'crush" since the first episode and although Kazuto is like my no. 1 now, Taeheon is still my number 2 and it's painful that he is basically getting sidelined hardcore on this show (both in terms in romance as well as screentime/storyline). He's essentially just a background character and that's such a waste.

Kazuto is definitely the definition of boyfriend material. His milkshake surely brings all the boys to the yard. But I don't think he would end up choosing anybody tbh. While he's so poised & polite, I feel like he has built a wall & is also very protective of himself in his own right.

I unironically think the porn past thing gave Kazuto a much needed layer of humanity and deepness of character. I feel like if he was only the super-poised-and-polite-guy-who-everybody-wants he would come off as too much of a Mr. Perfect and end being non-relatable, with all the walls he already has.