Are Guys More Comfortable Naked In The Locker Room Than They Used To Be?

You are going to be judged no matter what you do so just get naked...

Exactly. If you keep your clothes on, you'll just be judged on something else. If you don;t give them ammo, they'll just make something up. You can't win, so just do what's right for you.

Reactions: 622675
Mixed experience this weekend...I was visiting friends in NC for a few days and decided to get a day pass at their gym...a co-ed YWCA. I was pleased to discover it had open showers. Open lap period ended, so the other male swimmer and I returned to the locker room and hit the showers. He was friendly and struck up a conversation with me, complaining about the schedule, etc. After I washed my upper body, I slipped off my speedo to rinse out my suit and proceed with downstairs cleaning. He seemed completely unfazed by my nudity, neither staring nor averting his eyes, just maintaining the conversation naturally. He never stripped his off, however, and turned away to briefly lower them and wash his junk. After showering, he faced the wall to drop his suit and wrap with the towel and use the ringer on his suit. As it turned out, we shared a locker cove so we continued our conversation. I had dropped my towel in a bin, so I was naked, but he was still wrapped in his. He started to put on his underwear with the towel still wrapped, so I expected a full towel dance, but he finally pulled it off so he could pull his underwear up.

It was interesting that he was completely comfortable seeing another dude's junk (my penis was in his field of view for 10 minutes or so in the shower and again in the locker area) but was quite modest about his own nudity (but not so modest as to not drop the towel at the end). He was probably a bit larger than average and definitely quite a bit larger than me, so size insecurity couldn't have been a factor.

I had a similar experience at my Y yesterday as well. One guy who was in his 20s (chubby so not attractive to me at all), got out of the hot tub that he was sitting in naked with several other naked guys, walked to the towel rack naked, picked up a towel, and then proceeded to use the 1 stall in the open shower room and practically sealed the curtain shut after he threw the towel over the curtain bar. WTF? Haven't we all seen his dick by now? Plus the fact that he just essentially took a bath naked with a bunch of other naked guys in the hot tub! I guess he went in there to jerk off. I can't imagine there being any other reason to suddenly become modest.

Another guy who I have showered, steamed and hot tubbed naked with several time now (also in his 20s and modestly attractive) ALWAYS cups his dick when entering and exiting the open shower. He doesn't use the 1 stall which is good, but why cup his dick? We have all seen it by now.

Strange behavior indeed! Once I get naked at my locker, I'm naked until I'm back at my locker getting changed to go home. I let my dick swing. I don't see the point in covering up at all. Once you've been naked, everyone has seen the goods, so why attempt to cover up periodically?

i used to live in germany. everyone is completely ok with nudity. showers at the gym are communal. the only people that shower with their underwear on are muslims. i guess it's a cultural thing, not to show anything.
i now live in france. i dont know if this happens in all of france, especially in bigger cities, but in the one im in, everyone goes to the shower with their underwear on. they close the curtain, take it off, then put it again after showering and go back to the bench to get fully dressed. there are a lot of black men here and, yes, they carry quite the big packages, so it's not about being ashamed of their sizes.
i feel kinda awkward being the only one who feels comfortable being naked, but at the same time i dont care. i feel like they are ridiculous. i really hope this is not the norm in france, though i sure feel it is. i've seen some communal showers in the university sports lockerroms. i wonder if people shower naked over there.
one thing is really like about france though, is that everyone wears these skinny joggings that, if you have a big bulge, it will show it off. and no one seems to care. ive always been a bit self-conscious about fitted joggings cause my bulge always shows a bit. but here that's ok.

I had a similar experience at my Y yesterday as well. One guy who was in his 20s (chubby so not attractive to me at all), got out of the hot tub that he was sitting in naked with several other naked guys, walked to the towel rack naked, picked up a towel, and then proceeded to use the 1 stall in the open shower room and practically sealed the curtain shut after he threw the towel over the curtain bar. WTF? Haven't we all seen his dick by now? Plus the fact that he just essentially took a bath naked with a bunch of other naked guys in the hot tub! I guess he went in there to jerk off. I can't imagine there being any other reason to suddenly become modest.

Another guy who I have showered, steamed and hot tubbed naked with several time now (also in his 20s and modestly attractive) ALWAYS cups his dick when entering and exiting the open shower. He doesn't use the 1 stall which is good, but why cup his dick? We have all seen it by now.

Strange behavior indeed! Once I get naked at my locker, I'm naked until I'm back at my locker getting changed to go home. I let my dick swing. I don't see the point in covering up at all. Once you've been naked, everyone has seen the goods, so why attempt to cover up periodically?
I couldn't agree with you more! My view is that if a gym has open showers, guys will see my dick while I'm showering, so it would be silly to cover it up elsewhere in the locker room. To me, comfort with other guys see my dick in the locker room is part of being a man.

Don't mind the other dudes.
If you feel like going naked, that's OK in a locker room.
Cover only when you want to. Maybe other guys will follow your example.

i used to live in germany. everyone is completely ok with nudity. showers at the gym are communal. the only people that shower with their underwear on are muslims. i guess it's a cultural thing, not to show anything.
i now live in france. i dont know if this happens in all of france, especially in bigger cities, but in the one im in, everyone goes to the shower with their underwear on. they close the curtain, take it off, then put it again after showering and go back to the bench to get fully dressed. there are a lot of black men here and, yes, they carry quite the big packages, so it's not about being ashamed of their sizes.
i feel kinda awkward being the only one who feels comfortable being naked, but at the same time i dont care. i feel like they are ridiculous. i really hope this is not the norm in france, though i sure feel it is. i've seen some communal showers in the university sports lockerroms. i wonder if people shower naked over there.
one thing is really like about france though, is that everyone wears these skinny joggings that, if you have a big bulge, it will show it off. and no one seems to care. ive always been a bit self-conscious about fitted joggings cause my bulge always shows a bit. but here that's ok.

There’s a really hot guy at my gym who does this, the only one out of all of him and his mates who does it but I see him strip naked and walk to the showers covering his tackle with his hands then showers like that, always facing the wall or with one hand over his dick, then back to his locker. Really odd and as much as I don’t agree with it, it would be easier to keep his shorts on! Maybe he’s just getting used to it but seen it a few times now and all his mates just let it all hang loose.

I had a completely different experience in France I find most guys happy to get naked including the young ones

There’s a really hot guy at my gym who does this, the only one out of all of him and his mates who does it but I see him strip naked and walk to the showers covering his tackle with his hands then showers like that, always facing the wall or with one hand over his dick, then back to his locker. Really odd and as much as I don’t agree with it, it would be easier to keep his shorts on! Maybe he’s just getting used to it but seen it a few times now and all his mates just let it all hang loose.

With the guy I mentioned, he only cups his dick walking in and out of the open shower room. He doesn't do it while showering. He faces the wall quite a bit, but does turn around time to time to wash his back, so his dick can be seen. He certainly has nothing to be ashamed of!

I'm so glad I'm just old enough to have missed a this whole issue.

It's like the new generation (millenials?) is WAY, WAY more open-minded about everything than mine (the very end of Gen-X) with the sole exception of in-person, same-sex nudity.

Specifically, the "towel dance" blows my mind. It's not about the towel; it's about the fact that these guys are choosing an avoidance behaviour that actively encourages the thing they want to avoid.

It's all so bizarre I can't help but be fascinated by it.

Reactions: Anyjoe and 622675
In the 15+ years I've been going to the gym, there is no rhyme or reason as to who is covering up while undressing, regardless of age. You've got towel dancers of all ages and creeds, it's always been that way. However the dudes who use the communal showers when I'm using them have always tended to be skewed towards 30 years and older, and we don't seem to be phased at all by being naked showering next to each other, or when drying off and getting dressed. Something about the younger generation makes them feel uncomfortable with the communal shower, but your guess is as good as mine as to what. I know for me it's about hygiene since the stalls gross me out, but in the end I'm glad they don't use the wall since I never have to wait for a stall to open up when it's busy. The boys can wait for their privacy while the men wash up quickly and get on with their day.

This topic came up at tonight's naked Bridge game. There were 6 of us, pretty evenly spread from aged 25 to 75 or so. The older guys had never even heard of this. it was kind of funny. First they got stuck on the "Gay guys who don't want to take their clothes off... What?". Then they couldn't process how one guy seeing another guy's dick in a locker room could even be an issue. The 25 year old mentioned that millenial straight guys are totally comfortable with gay guys and that 'gay-ness' isn't in the equation at all. The primary goal apparently is to make sure that nobody at all sees their dick. He went on to say that according to an article he'd read there's been a rise in skin infections among guys who don't take showers after getting sweat soaked. The older guys thought not taking a shower was just gross.

The 25 year old agreed with me that there was something 'off' about the towel dance behaviour because it simply draws attention TO what one presumably wants attention to be diverted FROM.

In the gyms I have visited in recent months, the number of relaxed naked men is decidedly up.

At my gym until recently only one man I ever saw shaved and brushed teeth at sink naked. Everybody else I ever saw do that (me included) wore a towel or underwear. In the last month many shavers have gone naked, including guys who used to wear a towel. Interesting.

Also, at a gym I visit a few times a month when on business, there are stall showers. While to and fro guys were always pretty relaxed about being naked there, everybody used to pull the curtain closed. So I’m in there a few days ago and it’s a busy time. Five of six stalls were occupied — and not one guy had pulled a curtain. Was there yesterday at different time. Only two stalls occupied but only one guy had pulled the curtain closed.

And I definitely see more 20s and 30s using showers.

I have a friend who is employed by a University so he works out (free, lucky bastard) in the campus athletic center. I attended there many years ago and back then I used the facility. The men’s showers had like 30 heads and the shower area was shared by a general locker room and like three team locker rooms. I got talking to my friend about cultural modesty and I turned the subject to locker rooms. He’s a friend I met in a basketball rec league so we often cross in the showers at local community center. He observed that the huge open shower room at the campus rec center would half the time be totally empty when he used it midday. I noted how when I was there the showers were literally never empty. He remembers that too.

BUT he said he has started seeing increase in use (still nothing like it once was) and a comfort level among the users that is in his words, “what we would recognize”.

With the guy I mentioned, he only cups his dick walking in and out of the open shower room. He doesn't do it while showering. He faces the wall quite a bit, but does turn around time to time to wash his back, so his dick can be seen. He certainly has nothing to be ashamed of!

I have noticed many guys do that. I think maybe they are afraid the little flopping their dick does as they walk will give them a hard on or something. Or maybe they are OK with being seen but not flopping. Who knows what goes through some guys minds.

I have noticed many guys do that. I think maybe they are afraid the little flopping their dick does as they walk will give them a hard on or something. Or maybe they are OK with being seen but not flopping. Who knows what goes through some guys minds.
I was never ashamed of my little dixk and I always wanted to be naked in the locker room. Problem was I would get an instant Hardon if naked. Being so small soft it was always obvious. I would have my briefs ready as I opened my towel and was usually hard by the time I pulled them up. I have seen other guys post the same issue so wonder if the towel dance is to avoid this. I finally trained myself to stop getting hard and can enjoy being reasonably naked in the locker too now.

Reactions: jockbros
Mixed experience this weekend...I was visiting friends in NC for a few days and decided to get a day pass at their gym...a co-ed YWCA. I was pleased to discover it had open showers. Open lap period ended, so the other male swimmer and I returned to the locker room and hit the showers. He was friendly and struck up a conversation with me, complaining about the schedule, etc. After I washed my upper body, I slipped off my speedo to rinse out my suit and proceed with downstairs cleaning. He seemed completely unfazed by my nudity, neither staring nor averting his eyes, just maintaining the conversation naturally. He never stripped his off, however, and turned away to briefly lower them and wash his junk. After showering, he faced the wall to drop his suit and wrap with the towel and use the ringer on his suit. As it turned out, we shared a locker cove so we continued our conversation. I had dropped my towel in a bin, so I was naked, but he was still wrapped in his. He started to put on his underwear with the towel still wrapped, so I expected a full towel dance, but he finally pulled it off so he could pull his underwear up.

It was interesting that he was completely comfortable seeing another dude's junk (my penis was in his field of view for 10 minutes or so in the shower and again in the locker area) but was quite modest about his own nudity (but not so modest as to not drop the towel at the end). He was probably a bit larger than average and definitely quite a bit larger than me, so size insecurity couldn't have been a factor.
Does the Y allow guests to try out the facilities? Love to do a naked hot tub sometime

A great discussion. A few years ago, as a young citizen participating in Navy Boot Camp we all learned to shower in a gang shower that held all 80 of us Recruits. We showered, then walked out adorned with only our flip-flops to our towels in the changing room to dry off. No problem. We were all in this situation together.