House plants/gardening

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
The nursery packed it well, they always do.. the way it was boxed was fine it's just how long it took and it definitely got knocked around somethin' fierce. The sphagnum moss was completely crunchy, and they always send it *slightly* moist if it's a phalaenopsis species which doesn't like drying out. After almost two weeks, yeah. It was bone dry. She's already perked up quite a bit just after a good watering. After a lil adjustment period (a few days to really hydrate and get a little sun) I already have more sphagnum and a bigger pot ready and waiting.

I don't understand how it got so damaged, of all the orchids I've ordered from there this is the only one that got shipped like that. She got beat up!

Didn't filed a damage claim. Should have though. I think I still can? Looking it up now....
I’d let the nursery know what happened.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I got seeds the other day.
Not any old Monsanto bought out source. Heirloom/ saved/ rare seeds.
Presto cress, which likely will be a windowsill plant, Buena Mulata pepper (goes purple as it ripens to red...I had to), callaloo, cima di rapa (a broccoli rabe), speckled trout lettuce (to get me over my fear of spots on leaves), and cucamelon (grape tomato sized relative of the cucumber).

I’m excited and planning. Bought some pots at Dollar Tree, too. Soil from a garden center.

Truelove seeds. Online

T

T_Lurch

I got seeds the other day.
Not any old Monsanto bought out source. Heirloom/ saved/ rare seeds.
Presto cress, which likely will be a windowsill plant, Buena Mulata pepper (goes purple as it ripens to red...I had to), callaloo, cima di rapa (a broccoli rabe), speckled trout lettuce (to get me over my fear of spots on leaves), and cucamelon (grape tomato sized relative of the cucumber).

I’m excited and planning. Bought some pots at Dollar Tree, too. Soil from a garden center.

Truelove seeds. Online
Getting harder and harder to do that.....Monsanto is the devil.

Never heard of cucamelons! I'm gonna have to look for them at the produce market near me. I love cucumbers.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual

Never heard of cucamelons! I'm gonna have to look for them at the produce market near me. I love cucumbers.

I had to go through some ...interesting....blogs to find the company.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual

I bet they’d grow in your area. Packet says pots or in ground.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Part of what I love most about living where I do is the fact that we do get a short winter which gives us a break from the heat, but most of the year we have warm temperatures and plenty of time to grow lots of planties outside.

Seeds are popping, I can't wait for fresh tomatoes and cucumbers again... Squash, beans, corn, herbs, watermelon, pumpkin, just for starters.

Gonna be a good year. So much food. So much fun outside. I love gardening

T

T_Lurch

Part of what I love most about living where I do is the fact that we do get a short winter which gives us a break from the heat, but most of the year we have warm temperatures and plenty of time to grow lots of planties outside.

Seeds are popping, I can't wait for fresh tomatoes and cucumbers again... Squash, beans, corn, herbs, watermelon, pumpkin, just for starters.

Gonna be a good year. So much food. So much fun outside. I love gardening
Right now we're waiting on our handyman to replace all the wood on our back deck with paving stones and a new resin shed which he's supposed to do in a week or so. Then I can get a couple new plant troughs and plant some more herbs. Just in time for our hot and rainy season.

p0tent8

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Rosemary is glad to be back outdoors. I didn't realize how pretty they can be when they bloom. I always just thought they were grown solely for the spice/food factor. But it's a terrific looking plant too.
IMG_3764.JPG

T

T_Lurch

Rosemary is glad to be back outdoors. I didn't realize how pretty they can be when they bloom. I always just thought they were grown solely for the spice/food factor. But it's a terrific looking plant too.
View attachment 31979241
That is rather pretty. Didn't know they had those little purple blooms.

Rosemary is pretty tasty, but I learned that if you overdo it in food, it'll overpower it and make it have a medicinal taste.

I'm looking to add more herbs to my plant boxes.

Reactions: Tight_N_Juicy

p0tent8

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
That is rather pretty. Didn't know they had those little purple blooms.

Rosemary is pretty tasty, but I learned that if you overdo it in food, it'll overpower it and make it have a medicinal taste.

I'm looking to add more herbs to my plant boxes.

I'm unaware of the climate in your location, but I can tell you that here, in Kentucky I only have to bring it indoors when winter temps drop below 15f. So usually that means just a couple of weeks. It's easy to grow and is a much better looking plant that in that pic for some reason? And surprisingly, it's a water lover. I water it daily in the summer.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
View attachment 31979241

I miss a few things about my exile in Northern California.
Year round rosemary/rosemary as hedges is one.

T

T_Lurch

I'm unaware of the climate in your location, but I can tell you that here, in Kentucky I only have to bring it indoors when winter temps drop below 15f. So usually that means just a couple of weeks. It's easy to grow and is a much better looking plant that in that pic for some reason? And surprisingly, it's a water lover. I water it daily in the summer.
I'm in Florida. Winters are pretty mild but summers see blazing temps (mid 90s and up to 100°) and high humidity, so I have to be careful about plants that are intolerant of high temperatures. It is pretty dry here though during Spring, then in May/June regular thunderstorms begin and watering becomes pretty much redundant.

Hard part is remembering which plants prefer which types of soil (which I need to keep up on), have had some pretty helpful tips on here.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
@T_Lurch
Check out Epic Gardening and David the Good on YT.
David has grown food forests in tropical areas, in Florida’s “cranky tropical” areas, and now in Alabama.

also, shade cloth is your friend.
In Colorado we have cold frame/greenhouse season, “is it after Mother’s Day?” season, suddenly summer/shade cloth season and fall.

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
So nice to see this thread... This is my first foray into planting for real food as opposed to just flowers. We got so tired of low quality fresh veggies. We have a local farm that delivers great produce. But at $35 per box... It's pricey.

Two years ago I built a 6'x4' raised bed that I never filled. Now I have time. Had to build a wire cover that hinges over the top due to our squirrel population (and my big feral cat that tried to use it as a cat box). I seeded this with all forms of lettuce (organic, non gmo).

I also installed a "cardboard mulch bed" to grow potatoes and squash. Saw this done by a Brit on YouTube. You just cut the lawn very low. Then lay out cardboard flat on it in the size you want (covid shopping gave us many boxes!). Next, a few inches of good mulched organic soil. I put in existing sprouted potatoes and some squash seeds. Covered it with a couple inches of straw. Water and wait. By the time the cardboard starts breaking down, the roots go right thru it.

I have a seedlings just started yesterday in our kitchen window. Heirloom tomatoes, zucchini, several kinds of hot chilies Those will be planted in large plastic food grade buckets.

Also have a Meyers Lemon tree that produces in Dec thru Feb only.

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
@T_Lurch
Check out Epic Gardening and David the Good on YT.
David has grown food forests in tropical areas, in Florida’s “cranky tropical” areas, and now in Alabama.
also, shade cloth is your friend.
In Colorado we have cold frame/greenhouse season, “is it after Mother’s Day?” season, suddenly summer/shade cloth season and fall.

Epic is pretty good. So much info from him! I also follow Gardener Scott. He gave me the idea to keep my lettuce crop in one box.