House plants/gardening

T

T_Lurch

These barrel cacti definitely prefer to be next to rocks, every time I see one here it's either next to a rock-patch or it's straight up growing out of a cracked boulder.

I love seeing the different species in different parts of the state and how differently they grow. It's definitely on my list of life dreams to explore the plant life of Florida. It's a MUST DO for me.
You would enjoy some of Florida's plants. There are some that were introduced, such as the cacti and bamboo as well. And desert roses.

There's a great deal. Crape myrtles, hibiscus, azaleas, bougainvilleas, night blooming jasmine (smell great but they're so pungent they're almost cloying), honeysuckle and tons of different types of palms.

Mzseduction

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Freedom, California, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
ATTACH=full]33841581[/ATTACH] A gorgeous coleus that I started from a cutting.. and some wandering Jew that I also started from a cutting I took from outside my Drs office...;)

Attachments

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
9D3430E6-DAB0-4186-9053-AF2538EE5878.jpeg
Coleus from sweetie’s monster plant, main stem actually looked dead.
the lower bits were leggy in the water, they are pinned to the soil. I’ll pull the pin in a month so the stem isn’t girdled.
In the back, left to right, pothos, a random aloe (?) given to the housemate, and lemongrass I need to plant.

T

T_Lurch

20210427_121206.jpg

Marigolds that miraculously rose from the dead. We originally got them to help repel the paper wasps that were downright pestilential last fall.

Two months ago that plant was as dead as a doornail. Started blooming again a couple weeks ago.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
View attachment 33893281
Marigolds that miraculously rose from the dead. We originally got them to help repel the paper wasps that were downright pestilential last fall.

Two months ago that plant was as dead as a doornail. Started blooming again a couple weeks ago.

" least your new neighbours dog cant reach that tl
she,shouldent be able to piss on it either ... unless ..
btw
hows that going

train the neighbour
i say ha

Reactions: T_Lurch
T

T_Lurch

" least your new neighbours dog cant reach that tl
she,shouldent be able to piss on it either ... unless ..
btw
hows that going

train the neighbour
i say ha
I might well have zombie marigolds! :eek:

If their dog can lift its leg and reach that high, that's one hell of an aim. The basket is five feet off the ground.

Haven't had any further incidents, thankfully. I spoke to the neighbor and he apologized and said he'd make sure his daughter didn't walk their dog over here any more. No harm, no foul.

Reactions: pdxjoe and rbkwp

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I might well have zombie marigolds! :eek:

If their dog can lift its leg and reach that high, that's one hell of an aim. The basket is five feet off the ground.

Haven't had any further incidents, thankfully. I spoke to the neighbor and he apologized and said he'd make sure his daughter didn't walk their dog over here any more. No harm, no foul.

oh
i dont like peaceful resolutions,in these trying rimes
never mind,congratulations tl

as for the possible zombie effect
referring you to mod ML,a total expert on that subject
hope that helps

Reactions: T_Lurch

pdxjoe

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
View attachment 33893281

It may have come back from the dead or if you have more than one plant they may be seedlings from the old plant as they reseed very easily and bloom very fast from seed. Some greenhouses use them for color in early sales displays, though they will die from late frost.

Reactions: rbkwp and T_Lurch
T

T_Lurch

It's certainly possible. They must have a long gestation period though. They died in winter, though there was no frost. Or, the seedlings lay dormant until warmer weather and rains.

Had a couple of nights where it got to 39°F which could have conceivably killed them. That, and I might have overwatered them back then.

Reactions: rbkwp

pdxjoe

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
It's certainly possible. They must have a long gestation period though. They died in winter, though there was no frost. Or, the seedlings lay dormant until warmer weather and rains.

Had a couple of nights where it got to 39°F which could have conceivably killed them. That, and I might have overwatered them back then.
Seed will not sprout until the right soil moisture and temps. are met. The warmer weather and rain would have done that. 39F would not likely kill them, it might turn the tender new growth black but that is most likely all it would do

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
20 Best Indoor Plants for Beginners
They are all succulents in the photo and I can attest that I have managed even to fail with those. There is one called a cast-iron plant on the list, but alas, it is not really made of metal.
READ MORE

Zoomo's Subscription Model Makes E-Bikes More Affordable
It also lets people find out if an e-bike really works for them.
READ MORE

Planting Perennial Borders: Tips and Ideas
Here's a border you don't need a passport to cross; it's herbaceous.
READ MORE

Recipe Site Epicurious Takes Beef Off the Plate
A brave and controversial move.
READ MORE

They are all succulents in the photo and I can attest that I have managed even to fail with those. There is one called a cast-iron plant on the list, but alas, it is not really made of metal.
READ MORE

nz geographic did the same thing of not sharing via cut/copy/paste,until they realised after several years,much of there content was pirated from other sources anyway
blame,a non forward thinking editor huh
inherited by time served,position ha

in saying that
pleased treelugger,is generous with many things
thanks treelugger

TREEHUGGER/SORRY

Lookinginconshy

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
READ MORE

Zoomo's Subscription Model Makes E-Bikes More Affordable
It also lets people find out if an e-bike really works for them.
READ MORE

Planting Perennial Borders: Tips and Ideas
Here's a border you don't need a passport to cross; it's herbaceous.
READ MORE

Recipe Site Epicurious Takes Beef Off the Plate
A brave and controversial move.
READ MORE

READ MORE

nz geographic did the same thing of not sharing via cut/copy/paste,until they realised after several years,much of there content was pirated from other sources anyway
blame,a non forward thinking editor huh
inherited by time served,position ha

in saying that
pleased treelugger,is generous with many things
thanks treelugger

TREEHUGGER/SORRY

you can keep the two bikes, I will take the two guys!

I also have no luck with cactus. They seem to always die. Oddly, I have good luck with orchids. I need to transfer pics to post of them from my camera. One white phal. Has been blooming nonstop since last September. Poinsettias seem to do well for me just they become so big of a bush.
I posted earlier about fungus gnats. Got rid of them by watering the orchids with hydrogen peroxide diluted in water. Worked fast. Thanks for all thevtipe

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
you can keep the two bikes, I will take the two guys!

I also have no luck with cactus. They seem to always die. Oddly, I have good luck with orchids. I need to transfer pics to post of them from my camera. One white phal. Has been blooming nonstop since last September. Poinsettias seem to do well for me just they become so big of a bush.
I posted earlier about fungus gnats. Got rid of them by watering the orchids with hydrogen peroxide diluted in water. Worked fast. Thanks for all thevtipe

smile
yes,a bit of unrelated i put out there also,sorry
i ftd use to havw good success with my cacti,in the day

Reactions: Lookinginconshy