Shawn Mendes

sadboynthn

Mythical Member
Media
The issue with Harry is he is being idolized over actually LGBT artist. For example him being on vogue in a dress was ridiculous.
your use of "actually LGBT" makes me queasy : unamused: as if one needs to make a public declaration in order to be LGBT. i'm not here to say Harry is gay or queer, but he could be. he's never made a definitive statement about his sexuality either way. but if he is queer and has decided not to disclose that detail of his romantic/sex life it doesn't make him any less queer than Lil Nas X or Troye Sivan. privately queer is just as valid as openly queer. that being said, I agree that Harry is usually given more credit than is due. what was groundbreaking about Harry's vogue cover was the fact that it featured a man alone, not the fact that it was a man wearing a dress. that point seems to have gotten lost (somewhere between the youngsters thinking harry was the first man to ever wear a dress and candace owens and her minions :joy:)

Caesarimp

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
your use of "actually LGBT" makes me queasy : unamused: as if one needs to make a public declaration in order to be LGBT. i'm not here to say Harry is gay or queer, but he could be. he's never made a definitive statement about his sexuality either way. but if he is queer and has decided not to disclose that detail of his romantic/sex life it doesn't make him any less queer than Lil Nas X or Troye Sivan. privately queer is just as valid as openly queer. that being said, I agree that Harry is usually given more credit than is due. what was groundbreaking about Harry's vogue cover was the fact that it featured a man alone, not the fact that it was a man wearing a dress. that point seems to have gotten lost (somewhere between the youngsters thinking harry was the first man to ever ws and candace owens and her minions :joy:)

Glad to hear you're queasy. Actually, making a public declaration to be LGBT is a pretty important thing to do, when it is safe for a person to do so. Coming out is a crucial political act that demonstrates to the world that you will not be silent about who and what you are, and it shows solidarity with others around you. It is ONLY because people have come out publicly in numbers that LGBT people have achieved the rights and level of acceptance that we have so far. Yet those rights are continually under attack, even more so in recent months (I'm looking at you, Florida). That is not to say that everyone needs to come out, or to come out in a specific way, or at a specific time, but to treat the act of coming out itself as if it's no longer necessary or important is reactionary and gross. It would be great to live in a society that is beyond labels, where coming out is no longer necessary or important, but we are not even close to getting there yet, and trying to short circuit the process will only hurt queer people in the long run.

Harry Styles is not privately queer. He publicly wears queer drag, imitating other artists who came before him, and he waves the pride flag around like a prop. He coyly suggests he might be queer, but then avoids the question or deems it irrelevant when asked. Yet he's only ever lived a public life as a straight man. His career has benefitted tremendously from the appearance of being Schrodinger's queer. Until he opens the box he is or is not, depending on what you want to see. All the more incentive for him to never open the box. Meanwhile Lil Nas X risked his just-started career to come out in a particularly homophobic area of the music industry, and Troy Sivan came out and made queer music for queer people. They are not the same.

D

deleted15853141

That's very generous. Put me down for one hour
Not to bring up sore subjects, but... I won the bet! The cycle has repeated and it took closer to 12 hours than one. Not that I'm bragging or anything. I just thought you should know. Bragging is so childish. I'm a bigger man than that.

na-na, na-na, boo-boo, stick your head in doo-doo.

sadboynthn

Mythical Member
Media
Glad to hear you're queasy. Actually, making a public declaration to be LGBT is a pretty important thing to do, when it is safe for a person to do so. Coming out is a crucial political act that demonstrates to the world that you will not be silent about who and what you are, and it shows solidarity with others around you. It is ONLY because people have come out publicly in numbers that LGBT people have achieved the rights and level of acceptance that we have so far. Yet those rights are continually under attack, even more so in recent months (I'm looking at you, Florida). That is not to say that everyone needs to come out, or to come out in a specific way, or at a specific time, but to treat the act of coming out itself as if it's no longer necessary or important is reactionary and gross. It would be great to live in a society that is beyond labels, where coming out is no longer necessary or important, but we are not even close to getting there yet, and trying to short circuit the process will only hurt queer people in the long run.

Harry Styles is not privately queer. He publicly wears queer drag, imitating other artists who came before him, and he waves the pride flag around like a prop. He coyly suggests he might be queer, but then avoids the question or deems it irrelevant when asked. Yet he's only ever lived a public life as a straight man. His career has benefitted tremendously from the appearance of being Schrodinger's queer. Until he opens the box he is or is not, depending on what you want to see. All the more incentive for him to never open the box. Meanwhile Lil Nas X risked his just-started career to come out in a particularly homophobic area of the music industry, and Troy Sivan came out and made queer music for queer people. They are not the same.
you’ve missed my point so I’ll just leave with this and people can get back to Shawn: don’t put a label on someone who hasn’t labeled themselves and being publicly out is not a requirement for being queer :joy:

metaldevilmc

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
The Bronx, New York, United States of America
Not to bring up sore subjects, but... I won the bet! The cycle has repeated and it took closer to 12 hours than one. Not that I'm bragging or anything. I just thought you should know. Bragging is so childish. I'm a bigger man than that.

na-na, na-na, boo-boo, stick your head in doo-doo.
Yea you definitely won the bet.

Let's go again and put me down for 3 hours. There was another 7 paragraph post about gender and sexuality. I think this time it won't be so long of a wait.

RyanMars

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Can we just use the word gay? The vast majority of gay men I know do not necessarily care to be counted under the umbrella of LGBT.
Gay men are a minority. Allegiance among sexual minorities are useful. Whats the age range for these gays you know ?

saintnugget

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Would he be likely to be cut or uncut? No idea what the circumcision rates are in Canada..
If you want the genuine answer it's about 50/50. If you want the fake answer they'll tell you that most of us are uncut, but it's plain not true. I was genuinely surprised as to how many cut guys I've encountered here, I'd definitely say depends on the family but for most part it's really 50/50

Reactions: Empirerec

montyclift

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Circ rates for newborns in Cda have been in the low 30's% for quite sometime and are lower in the east to higher in the west, excluding BC. 31.9% in 2005 compared to 48% in 1970. Cited from the Canadian Paediatric Society. So there is let's say just in general without any 'religious' or family tradition overlayed SM has a 60/40 percentage for being uncut, born in Ontario, from the published data.
All this is 'just sayin'...